Topic Sponsor
5.0L Discuss the 5.0L engine here.

5 L engine knocking

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 5 L engine knocking

My 2012 Ford F150 with only 17,000 km on it, has engine knocking. I Took it to the dealer today and they said the number three cylinder is where the noise is coming from. They said they have to wait too hear back from ford Canada before they can do anything. Has anyone else had this problem with such low mileage?I'm wondering what kind of engine work this might entail?????
Old 08-22-2013, 09:38 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by manyhobbies
My 2012 Ford F150 with only 17,000 km on it, has engine knocking. I Took it to the dealer today and they said the number three cylinder is where the noise is coming from. They said they have to wait too hear back from ford Canada before they can do anything. Has anyone else had this problem with such low mileage?I'm wondering what kind of engine work this might entail?????
One other member here was reporting similar. Username snopro31 I t think. Haven't heard an update from him lately. Pretty sure he is getting a new motor or rebuild, but may be wrong

Last edited by packplantpath; 08-22-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:10 AM

Default 5.0 engine knocking 2011 f-150

This forum helped me tremendously. I recently purchased a 2011 F-150 w 5.0 w 200 miles on clocks. (left over brand new in May 2013) engine was knocking at 1200 miles and got worse w 7K miles 10 visits to dealership got no results til I switched to another dealership and they found crank and other internal parts out of tolerances and swapped motor w a new engine all under warranty. All quite and smooth now but shattered my confidence in ford.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Crankshafts, rod and main bearing journals or pistons go this route if improperly fitted, not properly lubricated when first started up. It happens so quick even if everything is size wize correct but centered wrong. It may be that the block itself is formed wrong from the European mfg. of the block or overheated during the welding of the cylinder walls. A whole bunch of things can happen to create a bad outcome. I believe Ford Engineers will Look at a few of these malf motors. If U make 100,000 of these motors and 99.999% are good U still got a Pick up full bad. My bet is faulty pistons on a few motors. A test of the motor oil is the quickest way to show the immediate direction of it. If U have metal paricles or other in larger than normal amounts it will show u. UR not being dumb to pull a small amount of used oil into a test jar. These are available at parts stores. Have the lab do an independent test for U. U don't go around waving it, U save it. But U shouldn't keep using a noisy auto.

Last edited by papa tiger; 11-02-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:59 PM

Default Eng knocking 5.0 2011 F-150 follow up

FYI ...after numerous visits and finally went to another dearlership in Phoenix AZ about my eng knocking they found noise from bottom end. crank shaft end play was out of tolerance,( .013 spec is .011) oil pressure was 4 psi below min, (11psi vs spec is 15psi. found cam caps scorn and metal shavings in pan (after recent oil change from other dearlership) rod bearings showed signs of wear . (these are just some of the main things they checked that I am copying from my service invoice)...
Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 93 Likes on 87 Posts

Sorry for your truck engine issues. I have a 5.0 in my 2012 with 17,000 miles and have not noticed any engine knocking, only a slight ticking.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Sounds like U need Ford to nu engine U. It's hard for those things to happen to an engine properly assembled new.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Knock

Mine was knocking from the left bank looking from the front of the truck..11,000 miles, no towing, no crazy mods.....didn't start until after the first factory oil change at 7,500 miles. Now...it sits in the dealer waiting for a new engine.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unhappy low end knock

Originally Posted by papa tiger
Crankshafts, rod and main bearing journals or pistons go this route if improperly fitted, not properly lubricated when first started up. It happens so quick even if everything is size wize correct but centered wrong. It may be that the block itself is formed wrong from the European mfg. of the block or overheated during the welding of the cylinder walls. A whole bunch of things can happen to create a bad outcome. I believe Ford Engineers will Look at a few of these malf motors. If U make 100,000 of these motors and 99.999% are good U still got a Pick up full bad. My bet is faulty pistons on a few motors. A test of the motor oil is the quickest way to show the immediate direction of it. If U have metal paricles or other in larger than normal amounts it will show u. UR not being dumb to pull a small amount of used oil into a test jar. These are available at parts stores. Have the lab do an independent test for U. U don't go around waving it, U save it. But U shouldn't keep using a noisy auto.
I reported a low end knock at 1200 miles. My brand new 2014 STX,5.0L!! Dealer inspected filter and crank end-play. Apparently the noise went away after the left belt was removed?? Said all was normal. Then Ford engineer had tech check other new vehicles on the lot and knock was present in them also!! So he stopped all work and advised me this knock is"NORMAL"?? This is a knock,knock noise best heard just off idle around 700 rpm. I have heard it in other new trucks on the lot also? Makes me sick! I believe they will give me a power train ESP warranty. But I have doubts as to the durability/longevity of this motor. Good idea,if I don't trade it, I will send oil sample to lab. at next oil change. Thank-You
Old 06-25-2014, 08:26 PM

for member..too manyhobbies..My 2011 F-150 original motor that had the knocking was replaced at 7K miles with a new motor.my new 5.0 motor now has 26,000 miles and no knocking and is smooth and quiet. push for a new motor and good luck..

Quick Reply: 5 L engine knocking