Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Truck stalls in reverse and has hard start

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Truck stalls in reverse and has hard start

I have a 94 F150 5.0. My problem is that after I drive my truck steady for a good 10 minutes and then put it in reverse it bogs down and stalls if I don't floor it. Also after it stalls it will have a hard start. Like it will crank on the first try then I turn the key off and back on (which makes fuel pump come on again) and usually on the 2nd try it will barely start. This problem only happens after it has run for about 10 minutes. It seems to get worse with the more you run it like most of the time it will be more likely to stall trying to back up a hill/incline. I have replaced IAC, TPS, MAF sensor, adjusted timing, and new spark plugs (not wires though). It also sometimes clunks when I put in in reverse like I need to grease the yoke, I don't know if that has anything to do with it cutting off. My best guess is that it may be the fuel pump. But I'm not sure if the fuel pump could be heating up and then getting weak or maybe fuel pressure regulator? Any help will be great

Last edited by jonsto426; 04-28-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:34 AM

bump
Old 04-28-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Check your fuel pressure - would be good to have a gauge handy so you can check it when it isn't starting right up. If you can smell gas in the vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator that is usually a good sign it is toast.

Check for spark - want a nice healthy blue spark coming out of the coil both when cold and warmed up. Sometimes failure of the ICM or PIP sensor will cause intermittant loss of spark, so it can cause you to pull your hair out.

Pull codes.

Report back.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:27 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Buying a fuel pressure gauge for $50 could save you hundreds of dollars and a lot of work. Or confirm the problem so you know it's worth the trouble.
And you get to keep the gauge. You will use it again.
And like BLDtruth said, pull the codes. You just need to read the sticky post by 'just call me sean' and find a short piece of wire. No special tools required.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Check your fuel pressure - would be good to have a gauge handy so you can check it when it isn't starting right up. If you can smell gas in the vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator that is usually a good sign it is toast.

Check for spark - want a nice healthy blue spark coming out of the coil both when cold and warmed up. Sometimes failure of the ICM or PIP sensor will cause intermittant loss of spark, so it can cause you to pull your hair out.

Pull codes.

Report back.

Pulled red vacuum line to fuel pressure regulator and could positively smell gas
Old 04-28-2016, 09:34 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Sounds like the regulator is bad. The rubber diaphragm inside is leaking I would think. So you need a new regulator. See what that does for it.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:27 PM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Hmmm. Stalling in reverse could also mean your low on trans fluid. Reverse typically requires the most fluid to engage. Warm up the trans and run it some, cycle it through the gears (without stalling it) and check the fluid in park with the engine running. The hard restart could be simply because it stalled. But the fuel regulator vacuum line shouldn't smell like gas, sounds like it is a problem as well.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:29 PM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Do you know what trans you have? My e4od clunks every time I put it in reverse. Always has. Its common for them to do it. It has done it the last 90,000 miles I've had the truck, and at 221,000 mile the original trans is doing great, just clunks engaging reverse.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon587
Do you know what trans you have? My e4od clunks every time I put it in reverse. Always has. Its common for them to do it. It has done it the last 90,000 miles I've had the truck, and at 221,000 mile the original trans is doing great, just clunks engaging reverse.
My Aod did that and it was a bolt missing on the trans mount. Found one and I don't think it has clunked since.

Quick Reply: Truck stalls in reverse and has hard start