Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Timing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timing.

Dumb question. It's been talked about many times on here but I still need proof for this guy. I go to uti. A kid in my class wants to argue that we can change the timing on our trucks with the 5.0 efi buy loosening the bolt that holds the dist. Shaft to the block and turning the dist. Shaft and all. I even showed him the sticker under the hood that says the timing isint adjustable. Dosent the shaft just go strait to the oil pump anyway. And is driven by the cam. There's a gear on the cam correct. If I'm thinking right. I haven't looked much less tinkerd with an engine in like 2 years. It's basic stuff haha but I'm forgetful. So is the timing adjustable by turning the dist. Shaft? I'm pretty sure you have to do a timing bump and need a light. He is a chevy guy.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

The guy in your class is right. That is how you change the timing.
The following users liked this post:
BDavis94 (03-07-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

Yeah lol he schooled you.hmm went to UTI myself in houston, good school
BDavis94 (03-07-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 11:31 AM

Okay fair enough I'm not afraid I admit when I'm wrong. :p that's why we ask questions. Just go's to show I need to pay more attention. Thanks guys
Old 03-06-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Not sure if every car has it but if you have a SPOUT connector you have to take it out before you adjust timing
BDavis94 (03-07-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Forge-World-FORD
Not sure if every car has it but if you have a SPOUT connector you have to take it out before you adjust timing
Hengh? Lol do you happen to have a picture? Or where it's located?
Old 03-06-2014, 06:02 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BDavis94

Hengh? Lol do you happen to have a picture? Or where it's located?
On my 1992 it's under the hood, drivers side, just behind the power distribution box

Timing.-forumrunner_20140306_150128.jpg
BDavis94 (03-07-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Forge-World-FORD
Every application is different. Most Fords are the same... GM didnt use a "Spout" connector but they do have a connector in those years that is Brown w/Black stripe that you disconnect to put the ESC into bypass mode...
BDavis94 (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 05:45 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_bowtie

Every application is different. Most Fords are the same... GM didnt use a "Spout" connector but they do have a connector in those years that is Brown w/Black stripe that you disconnect to put the ESC into bypass mode...
Learned that one the had way. But basically all electronically controlled distributors have a "learn" connection of some kind. It allows the computer to stop trying to adjust the timing while you are changing it. The distributor is purely mechanical. The camshaft turns it so the center always stays at the same time. When you adjust it you are turning the housing around the center. If you picture a clock with hands you are taking the numbers and moving them around the center axis. The hands dont care what number they point to. In the same way the distributor triggers when the rotor hits the cap points. The trigger ( hall effect, shutter wheel, points etc) still hits when it hits the cap points as well. The computer however takes its time from crankshaft and camshaft sensors and tries to maintain its advance based on initial timing. So to change its initial timing you must disconnect the computer, then it will adjust to your new initial time when reconnected. The sticker actually means that the timing is not supposed to be adjusted due to emissions regulations. On full electronic systems (no distributor) the timing can only be reprogrammed with the proper software and interface. Some are easier than others.
Good luck with school. Tech school is as good as what you make of it. I have seen great techs and bonehead grease jockeys come from the same class.
BDavis94 (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 06:34 AM

So unplugging the spout connector, would be the the way before I change it? Like forge said? Or like warlockk said unplug the computer. Or are the same? I'm a little confused lol. I'm sure I'm making this more difficult than it has to be. But thanks for the help though on a side note.

Quick Reply: Timing.