Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Knock sensor ???????

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock sensor ???????

Hey everyone, I've check back on the posts and haven't seen my problem so I figured I would ask cause it's driving me crazy. I have rebuilt my 95 302 with .030 over and stock except I ported the heads and intake. After getting it going my knock sensor is not reading. It shows on a code scan as not reading but cranks and runs good, but at 1500 RPM's in a pull it shutters bad. I have new plugs wires distributor cap and rotor and bosch platinum4 plugs. I have triple checked for vacum or intake leaks, i have set my timing 4 times and replaced the control module twice. First time they give me gray one mine was the black. I have under drive pulleys, shorty headers and electric fan. The timing advances when I put the spout in from standard but I'm not sure it is advancing when running. Could the knock sensor be causeing my shuttering or am I over looking something. Oh yea, I put stock fuel injectors back in and they won't supply enough gas for the engine breathing better so I rigged up a resisstor plate for now limiting air intake till I get new injectors. It is MAF OBDI so it is mixing well I think.
Sorry for such a long post but wanted ya'll to know what has been done so you could hopefully help. Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2009, 08:56 PM
American Pride!!

Got one question. Why do you think your stock injectors dont feed enough fuel? Boring it out .30 over is hardly noticteable to the PCM but the porting of the heads might be. You probably need to get a custom tune on your PCM. IMO and a lot of others I would chunk those Bosch platnum plugs they are the biggest pieces of **** I have ever ran. They in there self can and have caused engine damage. Happened to me twice but it will never happen a third.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:10 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one q for ya. u say that at 1500 rpms it shudders is this a brake torque or is the vehicle moving and if it is moving what is your speed that this occurs??? also if it is while brake torquing. how does it drive normally going down the road ?????
Old 11-27-2009, 10:03 PM

As for how I know the injectors are to small the computer gave a code that it was running lean. I forget the number but when I cut back on air supply code went away and seems to run smoother. Why does the Bosch plugs not work? First time I've tried them.

And for the when it does the shutter, it is going down the road in a pull. At first I thought converter because when in OD at 1500 RPM's it started but since I realized it does it in any gear at the low RPM pull.

Thanks for responding!!
Old 11-27-2009, 10:22 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my first suggestion is to flush your transmission for the AODE trans this common don't just drop the pan but drain the connvertor 10-12 quarts... also sounds like your on the right track with the convertor when the fluid gets old and dirty it breaks down and carries the friction material and causes the convertor in the trans to shutter on and between shifts... this is very common in town cars, crowns,t-birds

As SWAMP stated throw those bosch plugs away USE some autolights, motorcraft plugs YOU WILL ELIMINATE ANY POTENTIAL ISSUES
Old 11-27-2009, 11:47 PM

Thanks for the info. Is it possible that the synthetic fluid I used is the cause. I did the whole converter dump and new filter when I had the motor out. Trans seemed fine before the swap. I also added a bottle of greased lightning trans treatment that is suppose to help with shutter. No effect good or bad.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:24 PM
American Pride!!

Originally Posted by 95MARKIII
As for how I know the injectors are to small the computer gave a code that it was running lean. I forget the number but when I cut back on air supply code went away and seems to run smoother. Why does the Bosch plugs not work? First time I've tried them.

And for the when it does the shutter, it is going down the road in a pull. At first I thought converter because when in OD at 1500 RPM's it started but since I realized it does it in any gear at the low RPM pull.

Thanks for responding!!
The bosch plugs will work for a while but the electrode's like to decentigrate in the cylinder for no damn reason. Its happened to me twice on different engines. Caused me to totally rebuild one and had to replace a couple valves in the other. Dont ask why I tried them twice, I guess it was false hope. And both times the plugs had under 20 thousand miles on them. I think seniorfordtech is right about your tranny but I still think your going to need a custom tune on your PCM if you want to get full potential out of it.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick Question:

During your engine rebuild did you replace the timing chain set? If so, did you use a chain or gears?

Engines with knock sensors can NOT use timing gears regardless if they are "noisy" or "quiet".

If you used gears, I'd bet that's the problem.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:52 PM

Thanks for that thought but i used a chain and sprockets. I don't know if the sensor is effecting me or not but the only code I get now is that it doesn't detect it.

Quick Reply: Knock sensor ???????