Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

electrical problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:38 AM
UGH-HUUUGH!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry electrical problems!!

started yesterday when i went to get gas for my gf's dad. pulled up to the pump an killed it. got the gas an jumped in the truck. it tried to crank but it sounded like the battery was dead. it finally cranked an it sounded like someone dropped something in the fan blade, then the truck died. this time it wouldnt turn over at all. you;d jus here a click from the solenoid.(replaced it last week) so i wiggled the power wire an it was hot!! so i grabbed the negative wire. it to was hot but it sparked everytime it got touched. so my gf called her dad an he used his new chevy dually to pull me back to his house. lol. well we came to the conclusion somethin was groundin out. we replaced both pos. an neg. wires an its not groundin out. still hearin the solenoid click. wires get really hot. can anyone help me with this?! the truck is about 25 miles away at my gf's house. but my uncle an i are goin to get this weekend. so thanks in advance!!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:11 PM
UGH-HUUUGH!!!

well the truck is home now. my neighbor an i went an loaded it up an a replaced the battery also an it still wont turn over or attempt to
Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 PM

Can you turn it over by hand, if the starter bound up on the flywheel trying to crank it over will be similar to a dead short of the wires creating massive heat at all the connections. I have had starters weld themselves together also, this was the engine would turn over but when tried the starter it would melt the battery cables in less than a second.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:17 AM
UGH-HUUUGH!!!

by hand u mean with a screwdriver on the solenoid? we tried that before we replaced the wires. now that we replaced them an the battery it hasnt got hot but still wont crank.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say pull the starter and see whats up. and maybe try another method of starting it? if its manual you can start it by popping the clutch as its rolling. But if its auto, and the starters out your not going anywhere.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:17 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mitch is refering to turn the engine over with a socket on the crankshaft. Am assuming the wires you replaced are the big ones to the starter relay? Did they spark when installed?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:21 AM
UGH-HUUUGH!!!

its a manual. they didnt spark
Old 08-18-2009, 05:17 PM
UGH-HUUUGH!!!

it was the starter. i took it off an looked like it caught on fire. got it tested an it was bad. got a new one tho. truck still dont want to crank after u kill it
Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 PM

With the starter shorting out you might have toasted the solenoid on the fender also. Yes I was referring to using a socket to turn over the engine, if it would not turn over by hand you would have had major problems.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i second the solenoid on the fender! its only another 6 dollars. Also check all the fuses around there. And maybe your clutch engage switch (or whatever its called) is going bad, I remember sean saying that if that goes bad it makes it act really wierd and wont start sometimes and what not. correct me if im wrong.

Quick Reply: electrical problems!!