Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

EGR delete

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR delete

Hi, I want to delete my egr valve. but im not sure what i need to disconnect or plug up. i am going to leave it attached to my intake but it wont be functional. so what do i need to do to make this work?

thank you for your time,

Ben
Old 11-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Mother Trucker

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont think I'd do that...I did on my 351 an had all sorts of pinging problems. The EGR doesnt just recirc exhaust it helps bring down combustion chamber temps. I hooked it back up...bam no more probs. Plus the only thing I could find to keep the check engine light off was to take the egr sensor off and tape it half way down, it was pretty crappy riggin.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:37 PM

Wouldn't you need to remove the smog pump along with the EGR valve?
Old 11-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Mother Trucker

Nah all the smog pump does is pump outside air into the exhaust...its practically worthless...wait it is worthless.
The following users liked this post:
Thomas1970 (11-01-2022)
Old 11-28-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for "don't do that" - you'll regret it until you get it working right again.

Why 'delete' it if you're not going to get rid of it?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:26 PM

i am going to put on long tube headers with true duals so the egr wont be hooked up to the y-pipe anymore. thats why im not going to use it. there is a small metal pipe going from the back of the motor to the old exhaust.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by farmer12
Nah all the smog pump does is pump outside air into the exhaust...its practically worthless...wait it is worthless.
So Im guessing the CEL is gonna come on when it's removed? Isn't there a smog pump delete kit?

Any benefits to removing it?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:33 PM

You'll have more issues than the EGR with that scenario. There is also an O2 sensor and the thermactor (smog pump) outlet to deal with.

The smog pump won't light the CEL, but you will get codes for the solenoids. It can be replaced with a smog delete kit (usually sold for mustangs), or you can run a shorter belt. The only real benefits of removal are slightly less load on the motor, you shed some weight, and it's less crap in the engine bay.

The EGR and O2 are a bit tougher to deal with, and will light your CEL. More important, their absence will screw up your air/fuel mixture and cause all sorts of issues.

An aftermarket computer is an expensive option that will work, the $20 eBay kits are a cheap option that don't work, or a decent muffler shop can weld in bungs for those connections and keep things legit.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Mother Trucker

Yeah I second what he said....I did the same thing your going to do, but what I ended up doing to make the egr work is weld a bung into the pipe behind the headers and ran a copper pipe up to where the egr originally hooked into the valve. Didnt chop the headers up and still made it work and looks alright still. You need an O2...if you get rid of that you'll be taking a big step backwards.

I'd just ditch the smog pump, easy way...take the manifold off the back of the heads, and get a bolt thats that size, its pretty big, fine thread. Slob some high temp silicone on before you screw them in and your good. Then the fun part, yank all the BS off..pump, lines, all the crap that doesnt need to be there. It makes under the hood look way better.
The following users liked this post:
loyd63 (10-22-2023)
Old 11-29-2010, 11:12 PM

This is a good how-to on the smog removal - written with the mustang in mind, but it's still a 5.0 and the smog system is pretty much the same.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com//techarticles/Smog2.pdf

Quick Reply: EGR delete