Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Deleting spring perch

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Deleting spring perch

Posting this here if anyone has suspension knowledge. I'm trying to build the lowest static OBS F150 to bring to shows. Currently I have 3" drop springs, 3" ibeams and 27" instead of 29" tires in the front. Getting smaller tires to clear a lower drop... so:

Cross posting this from my truck club forum, but I had a great idea today to come down some more in the front. When I get the 24" tires on its going to drop me 1.5". This would almost completely fill in that gap that would open in the fender:

Here's what I have now:

This is how my spring/everything sits now. Almost everything in my suspension is brand new front and back, except the radius arm, but thats just a safety piece to keep the ibeams from moving front and back (did get a new bushing for it). The bottom of the spring has a \_/ cup in it with a bolt through it and nut holding it in. As far as I can tell the spring perch under it doesnt do anything but hold the spring up 1.2". Inside it is hollow, and under it is another bolt holding the ibeam to the radius arm.

My idea:

Remove the spring perch on bottom, install a washer under the ibeam/radius bolt, remove the top bolt completely and just mount the spring directly to the ibeam, put the \_/ cup back in and bolt back through the top, and tighten the **** out of it with an impact. This should work shouldnt it? The perch isnt doing anything but holding it up 1.2" and providing a flat spot for the spring to sit on, but the ibeam/radius arm mount below is flat too. I dont see the point in two separate bolts except for the fat its raising it up 1.2".

If anyone could tell me why this would work or why not, or what I could do to modify this idea that would be awesome! It would lower me 1.2", which I will need since I'm about to get new front tires to drop me 1.5" and that is going to open up a 1.5" fender gap in my otherwise flush front stance.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:37 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

I'd have to get a better look at that to decide if I think that's a good idea, and I don't feel like crawling under my truck right now. I once contemplated drilling out the rivets holding the upper pocket and shock mount to the frame and moving that up.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
I'd have to get a better look at that to decide if I think that's a good idea, and I don't feel like crawling under my truck right now. I once contemplated drilling out the rivets holding the upper pocket and shock mount to the frame and moving that up.
Theoretically 1 or 2 washers with a small enough hole to fit snug against the bolt and thick enough to cover the same surface area as the top of the spring perch I should be able to mount the spring bottom directly on the ibeam/radius arm mount. Nothing is holding the spring to the perch that would matter if I deleted it. I'm gonna try it when I've got time and just see.

That + new tires and a lightning lip and my valence will nearly be on the ground. Low enough to still drive up driveways and stuff but extremely freakin low.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:18 PM
We'd do it

That bolt probably isn't threaded that far down.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:03 PM

That bolt probably isn't threaded that far down.
The bolt is threaded from the bottom of the ibeam all the way up past the nut holding the spring to the perch. Under the perch is another bolt holding the ibeam to the radius arm. Id just be deleting the perch and connecting the spring to that nut with a washer under it.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:05 PM
We'd do it

Old 08-11-2011, 11:08 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

LOL fogetabout it
Old 08-12-2011, 03:08 PM

Okay, confirmed from a friend who works at Ford that this will not effect anything. People put rubber and metal 1-1.5-2" spacers under their spring between the spring and perch to level the front end so this thing is doing nothing but holding the spring up 1.2" Getting deleted ASAP. Will post of pics when done. Forging new ground for F150s zomg
Old 08-12-2011, 03:09 PM

This truck is just way too high up in the air. It might as well be a monster truck!

Quick Reply: Deleting spring perch