Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

302 problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 302 problems

Got some problems with my 5.0, yesterday in the deep cold it took for ever to start like 1 hour of turning over before she started. I heard the fuel pump kick on every time i tried to start her. She occasionally would sputter but no such luck. She was a little low on fuel, but not out. I also added two bottle of heat dry gas thinking it may be ice and that didnt help. And this has happened before, so i don't think it was just because of the cold, it also happens on raining days or when the truck sits for a few days. Also once she does start, she brings up idle then slowly drops idle and dies. So i have to jam a stick on the gas pedal to keep her at 800 to 1000 rpm til she warms up. Also it seems like its not running on all cylinders because when i get her going and put the stick to hold the throttle down, after a while the revs are about 500 to 700 rpms higher then when i set it the first time. But once she gets going she's fine, good power, good gas mileage 16 to 17. So i don't know and i don't want to pay ford tons of money for them to tell me nothing. so any advice would be appreciated
Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 PM

I'd check for any codes. A guess here is it could be a leaking injector. Try turning the key to the run mode and back off a few times before trying to start. That should bring up fuel pressure.

I'm shocked that the battery had enough juice for the starter to turn the engine for an hour.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cold or rainy days, hard start... maybe a distributor cap loose/not sealed, or a crack in the distributor?

The idle hunt sounds like a sticky IAC valve. Maybe unplug the electrical connector and see where it's idling, and if it still hunts or stays put. See where it idles with the IAC unplugged and consider adjusting the idle stop if it's idling way low.

At 16mpg it's probably not missing, but you could check each cylinder to make sure. Just unplug each spark plug wire with it idling (one at a time, then plug back in before doing the next one, and unplug at the plug end of the wire). If one doesn't change the idle, it's where the miss would be.

Could also be the TPS sensor possibly.

Have you replaced plugs/wires/cap/rotor lately? Fuel filter?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:47 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Sounds like low fuel pressure to me. Do a fuel pressure check, and check the computer for codes. This thread explains how:
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/how-retrieve-trouble-codes-obdi-10907/
Old 01-15-2009, 09:03 PM

Thanks guys. this will help me narrow it down even more. andy i actually had the charger on it the whole time charging away. I havent change the plugs or cap, wire. Been meaing to not knowing when the old timer who had it before did it last. Can i get one of the code readers at napa or autozone. And what is a IAC valve and where is it located on the engine and how would i check that? ALso same question about the tps sensor?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:06 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

You don't need a code reader, it's a waste of money. Read the thread, you will get the same codes that way as with the reader. TPS is on the throttle body and the IAC is near that on the intake manifold. You may want to pick up a Haynes manual for the truck, it will give details on testing just about everything.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:16 PM

check the injectors, and fuel filter see if its clogged, same thing happend to me, do u have dual tanks
Old 01-17-2009, 08:17 PM

No just one tank, and since that day, it now fires right up every time i go out and see if she's having a brain fart or not. So i dont know anymore, money is tight right now so once i get some cash im going thru her and replacing everything, plugs,wires, fuel filter, checking fuel pressure, if i feel confident ill check for codes.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:02 AM

i would change ther distributer and plug wires, and filter. and just to be safe i would change the solenoid. to me every problem ive had has led back to that
Old 01-18-2009, 08:54 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Didn't catch the miles on the engine, before throwing money at this thing, do a compression check to see what you have to work with. To many weak engines run like a top in perfect conditions and act up in adverse conditions. Then follow Seans advice on reading the codes for any help with computor related stuff. Try to verify what is good or bad, working or not working before throwing money away.

Quick Reply: 302 problems