Topic Sponsor
How-To Section Articles and Answers to the most commonly asked Ford F150 questions!

Pull an engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pull an engine

Hello I have a 1995 F150 with a 302 and manual transmission. I am trying to pull the engine as one of my pistons is cracked. I removed everything I could from the block (heads, manifold, alternator, etc) I removed the support bolts and transmission bolts (I jacked the transmission). I put a chain around the engine to a engine jack but I cant get the engine out. It seems to be stuck to the transmission, I have checked around the engine but I cant see any bolts that I may have missed. I checked on Youtube and my Haynes manual as well as the official Ford manual but I am still stumped as to why it will not separate from the transmission.
I am thinking that I may have to use a crow bar or hammer but I dont want to cause any damage to anything.

Has anyone removed an engine and seen this before?

Thank you for your help.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Is there an inspection plate at the bottom of the trans to remove ?
Also I don't see where you say you removed the starter.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:12 PM

Hey sorry yes I did remove the starter. What sort of inspection plate? I can see where the engine and transmission and I cant see any plate?

Also the Haynes manual said "if you're working on a vehicle with a manual transmission, the input shaft must be completely disengaged from the clutch." I am not sure what the input shaft is? All I can think of is they want it in neutral.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:28 PM

There is a steel plate between the engine and the transmission and it does have several small bolts at the bottom of the bellhousing.
After that, if you're sure you didn't miss any of the larger bolts on top, sometimes they just get stuck on the dowel pins.
Then they need 'persuasion'. Screwdrivers and such. Careful what you pry on, you don't want to break any pieces off.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jonwhite
Hey sorry yes I did remove the starter. What sort of inspection plate? I can see where the engine and transmission and I cant see any plate?

Also the Haynes manual said "if you're working on a vehicle with a manual transmission, the input shaft must be completely disengaged from the clutch." I am not sure what the input shaft is? All I can think of is they want it in neutral.
Pretty sure they want the input shaft of the transmission completely out of the clutch before you try to lift the engine out. I.e. you need to slide the engine fwd before lifting much. Sure you can lift it an inch or two, but be weary of damaging the input shaft.

This guy has the pressure plate off of the flywheel, but you get the idea.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
There is a steel plate between the engine and the transmission and it does have several small bolts at the bottom of the bellhousing.
After that, if you're sure you didn't miss any of the larger bolts on top, sometimes they just get stuck on the dowel pins.
Then they need 'persuasion'. Screwdrivers and such. Careful what you pry on, you don't want to break any pieces off.
I cant see any plate, I did check that I have all the bolts out. I did manage to move the engine a little (about a 1/4 inch, if that on one side).
Attached Thumbnails Pull an engine-20170713_201742.jpg   Pull an engine-20170713_201753.jpg   Pull an engine-20170713_201757.jpg   Pull an engine-20170713_201855.jpg   Pull an engine-20170713_201926.jpg  

Pull an engine-20170713_201929.jpg  
Old 07-13-2017, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by lutter5-0
Pretty sure they want the input shaft of the transmission completely out of the clutch before you try to lift the engine out. I.e. you need to slide the engine fwd before lifting much. Sure you can lift it an inch or two, but be weary of damaging the input shaft.

This guy has the pressure plate off of the flywheel, but you get the idea.

Thank you, is it just really stuck then? I tried using a screwdriver and crowbar but I dont want to damage anything, so I didnt put a lot of pressure on it. I sat in front of the engine and shook and pulled for over an hour and it isnt moving.

Trending Topics

Old 07-14-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by jonwhite

Also the Haynes manual said "if you're working on a vehicle with a manual transmission, the input shaft must be completely disengaged from the clutch." I am not sure what the input shaft is?
The input shaft on the front of the transmission. You either have to pull the engine far enough FORWARD to pull the clutch disc free from the input shaft on the transmission OR I repeat OR unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:09 PM

Ok, there's 6 big bolts up top, the starter bolts and probably 3 small bolts holding the steel plate at the bottom.
After that if it's not coming loose, it's stuck on the dowel pins.
That's where I get out the crowbar.
The following users liked this post:
jonwhite (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:14 PM

Hey I got it out!! So yes there was an inspection plate with 2 small bolts at the bottom. After removing the bolts, the engine came right off the input shaft.

Thank you for your help would have never found the bolts with out it!!!!