Topic Sponsor

Click when trying to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Click when trying to start

Whenever I try to start my truck I get a click, and it dies. Mess with the cables a little, hood light comes back on, try again and click and die. Brought the battery to Firestone to try a load test and they said it was fine. About to take out the starter and test that and lastly the alternator. I figure the alternator will be the hardest since I can't start the truck. Trying to avoid going to an shop to do a diagnostic. I took the battery out, hooked my wife car up to just my cables in the truck and it started, then with the battery still out, I connected it to my cables with the jump cables and it started. Put the battery in, jumped it, started, left it on for about 30 min, turned it off and tried to start again and click. Cables are clean, terminals are clean. I kind of feel like it could be the alternator. Any other ideas on what I could try?
Old 12-26-2015, 06:36 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Are you absolutely sure that the battery posts and the inside of the battery cables that hook onto the battery posts are clean and are tightening up properly?? That is sure what it sounds like.

Possibly a battery cable is shorting internally. When it's dark I would have someone watch for a spark as you try to start it. It will only spark once and quick. Wear eye protection.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:38 PM

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,699 Posts

get a second opinion on the battery.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by peteknok06
Whenever I try to start my truck I get a click, and it dies. Mess with the cables a little, hood light comes back on, try again and click and die. Brought the battery to Firestone to try a load test and they said it was fine. About to take out the starter and test that and lastly the alternator. I figure the alternator will be the hardest since I can't start the truck. Trying to avoid going to an shop to do a diagnostic. I took the battery out, hooked my wife car up to just my cables in the truck and it started, then with the battery still out, I connected it to my cables with the jump cables and it started. Put the battery in, jumped it, started, left it on for about 30 min, turned it off and tried to start again and click. Cables are clean, terminals are clean. I kind of feel like it could be the alternator. Any other ideas on what I could try?
I had the same problem with my truck. I had a bad battery and ended up getting a newer one from the junk yard thinking it would help, just my truck would turn the fuel pump on and click from the starter. checked all ground cables and everything and I replaced the ignition cylinoid and it fixed the problem.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Sounds like a bad fender mount solenoid or a bad connection. Not just the connections you can see from the top - you have to check the other end of the wire too. which is harder to do. so it rarely gets done. so it's often the problem.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Sounds like a bad fender mount solenoid or a bad connection. Not just the connections you can see from the top - you have to check the other end of the wire too. which is harder to do. so it rarely gets done. so it's often the problem.
yep that's what the problem was. was that solenoid I replaced it about a month or 2 ago and it hasn't done it since
Old 02-08-2016, 08:01 AM

Default just goes click

i have replaced the cyliniod, starter,alternator,ignition switch, negative cable, inspected and rewrapped the positive cable, replaced the return lead from the alternator, sanded the paint off the fender wall to ensure a good ground behind the cyliniod. all that and still no joy! it has to be a bad wire! i just can't find it. any one have any ideas? oh yeah she is a 92 xlt 4x4. thanks in advance
Old 02-08-2016, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ol' blue 92
i have replaced the cyliniod, starter,alternator,ignition switch, negative cable, inspected and rewrapped the positive cable, replaced the return lead from the alternator, sanded the paint off the fender wall to ensure a good ground behind the cyliniod. all that and still no joy! it has to be a bad wire! i just can't find it. any one have any ideas? oh yeah she is a 92 xlt 4x4. thanks in advance
Cross the 2 large posts at the solenoid. If it doesn't crank it's in the wiring from battery starter ground circuit.
If it does crank, it's the solenoid or the feed circuit from the ignition switch.

Test light time - follow the power till it stops.

Assuming the motor actually turns of course.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ol' blue 92
Cross the 2 large posts at the solenoid. If it doesn't crank it's in the wiring from battery starter ground circuit.
If it does crank, it's the solenoid or the feed circuit from the ignition switch.

Test light time - follow the power till it stops. Test it everywhere as you try the key. - The light lights up here; turn the key - still lit ? No power here - turn the key - power getting to here ? etc.

Assuming the motor actually turns of course.
The following users liked this post:
Ol' blue 92 (02-23-2016)

Quick Reply: Click when trying to start