Topic Sponsor

blue wire for trailer brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blue wire for trailer brakes.

i have a 1995 f150, i did some research on the board already, everyone is saying that the 95 was not a tow package but does have the plug under the dash. i bought the adapter and located the plug, but the blue wire is not hooked up. everyone on here all said the wires stop at the firewall and you have to run them yourself. where are they? i poked around under the hood today looking for some wires but havent found any. no one specifically said where they come out at.... any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-03-2016, 07:15 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You actually should see 2 plugs (round ends, sort of) that almost reach to the power distribution box. One comes from the cab and one goes to the wiring to the back of the truck. Mine has the trailer towing package, so I have a small bracket attached to the side of the power distribution box with 2 relays in it (for trailer brakes and trailer battery charge I believe) anyway it has 2 plugs coming off of it that plug in to the first plugs I mentioned which is how they're joined together.
Then at the back of the truck there are 2 similar plugs, ! would feed a flat 4 connector or there's a connector you can get that plugs into both to feed a 7 pin.
That's what all they put in with the trailer tow package, first I guess check if you have any of those bits going on already.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:53 PM

i did the quick 4 plug hookup where you unplug the wires and just plug this in by the spare tire. then i hooked up the 7way/4way adapter kit, ill have to look under the dash again, first time owning a enclosed trailer pulling the racing stuff, so i would like to get them hooked up.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:14 AM

Correction - one of those 2 relays under the hood is a trailer backup lamps relay, the other is trailer brakes
Old 02-04-2016, 03:41 PM

Here's a picture of the small relay box attached to the side of the big one. You can see the 2 plugs off to the left.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:24 AM

thanks guys, very easy fix. took literally 5 minutes. i had already plugged up the 7 way before hand, so i spliced the blue wire in that plug behind the spare tire, now i have another question, is there a relay or fuse that im missing why my interior lights in the trailer wont come on? i looked around but only saw fixes for newer trucks. that relay box in the picture, should i try and replace one?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:20 PM

I know this is off topic but im desperate. I have a 91 f150 and my brake lights dont work. I have replaced the fuse, checked the bulbs and replaced the brake light switch. Can anyone be of any assistance?

Quick Reply: blue wire for trailer brakes.