Topic Sponsor

Transmission compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission compatibility?

Hey guys. Still working on fixing up an 87' F-150 and had a question. I've got a chance to get what's supposed to be a working ZF 5 speed manual out of an 88' or 89' F-150. At this point, I really don't know much more about it than that. But what I have is a 302 FI, 2wd with 3 spd manual with overdrive ( I *think* that'd make it a T170 Srod?) I don't have the truck handy to check on myself, but I called someone near by it, and they confirmed the Trans code on the door said B and the rear axle was "H9" which should be 3.55 limited slip. The current transmission has nothing wrong with it that I'm aware of, but I've never been a huge fan of that particular transmission in the truck. First gear always seemed high, and the jump from 2nd to 3rd seems pretty long. Wondering if a 5 spd would make it more pleasant to drive, with a minor bonus of possibly better gas mileage by keeping the engine in it's happy place of the RPM range. I don't know if the information I provided is enough, but does anyone know if A: Those two transmissions are a relatively easy swap? B: If it'd even be a good idea?
Old 02-10-2018, 07:34 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

First, unless the F150 was swapped, it probably isn't a ZF5 - ford only put the M5OD in the F150.

Second, since it is in an 89' F150, we can assume it has a 300, 302, or 351 engine, so it will almost certainly bolt up to your 302 engine.

Third, the donor truck must also be 2WD, unless you don't mind having the extra weight of a transfer case hanging off of the back of your transmission. Ideally the donor truck is 2WD. Regardless of whether it is 2WD or not, you would need to swap over the transmission, drive line, and almost certainly the transmission crossmember. You might also need the hydraulic assembly for the clutch, but your pedal assembly will PROBABLY work.

The driveline will only work if it is from a truck with similar body style - i.e. single cab, long bed to single cab long bed. Otherwise you will need to find another truck you can pull that from.

It certainly isn't easy but I am sure it can be done.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:51 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

If it has 3 speeds plus OD, it's a 4-speed. The ZF was offered in '88 F150 2WDs:

(phone app link)

If the transmissions' lengths are within ~1.25", then they should swap directly. But since the M5OD (an ambiguous label for both the Mazdog & the ZF) is called out separately in this diagram, I suspect they're NOT:

(phone app link)
Old 02-10-2018, 08:24 PM

Okay, sounds like I definitely need to get more information on that transmission and the truck it came out of originally then. I just happened across it, and it sounded similar enough I was hopeful. Transmissions are definitely not my area of specialty. Main thing I've ever dealt with is the C4 autos from cars.

Guess my best bet really would just be to try and haunt junk yards looking for similar body/year/wheelbase and stumble upon a 5 speed?

Any idea of what I *should* be looking for? SROD T107, etc. All Greek to me mostly, and I spent the afternoon looking it up. Most of the information I'm finding is for later year trucks.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Most of us in here can tell you what kind of tranny it is just from a picture - so if you can get one of yours and the donor, that would be very helpful.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:05 AM

This is mainly for '80-96 Fords:

(phone app link)

Follow the link in the caption to adrianspeeder's list.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:36 PM

Okay, trying to get my signature updated with new information as we go as well.

Here's what I've got off the transmission in the current truck. I read it as :RF-23TR-700(3/6?)-AA

Don't have any extra information on the donor transmission. We'll see if the guy will actually respond now. But even if his doesn't work out, I am interested in learning what would be compatible.
I'm mainly concerned with bolting to the engine without adapters, and any sensor hook ups, or floor pan cuts. Drive shaft mods or transmission mount brackets, I can make fairly easily, so I'm not terribly concerned about those.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

A ZF transmission is not a nice trans to drive - it's a workhorse; the gears are straighter cut so it will be noisier and not as smooth to shift.
If you're going to modify for better driveability, you'll want to go with the M5OD-R2. As BLD said the driveshaft will have to match your wheelbase (or you can have it retubed to the right length).
Most likely you will need the matching slip yoke for whatever trans you use.
Transmissions are 2WD or 4x4 specific.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pirate Tom
I read it as :RF-23TR-700(3/6?)-AA
It's definitely a 6.
I'm mainly concerned with bolting to the engine without adapters...
If the donor has a smallblock bellhousing (a LOT of old engines), it will bolt up. Diesels mainly use the big-block pattern, & newer modular engines (4.6L, 5.4L, 5.0Lcoyote...) have their own pattern.
...any sensor hook ups...
The only wiring on a stick is the Reverse switch, which is easy to splice - just 2 wires.
...floor pan cuts.
Probably not, unless you go off the reservation with your trans choice.
Drive shaft mods...
Yeah, plan on that. If you find one that fits with your trans/WB combination, count yourself lucky.
..transmission mount brackets...
There were very few for all the optional transmissions, so that will be easy to keep factory-looking.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M5OD trans

I have a 1996 f150 4x4 short box with the M5OD trans. Periodically the trans pops out of 3rd gear while coasting down hill. It goes back in gear. I don't have to hold it into gear. But obviously something is wrong internally. I have two estimates so far. $2500.00 CDN to rebuild and install or $2800.00 CDN for off the shelf rebuilt one installed.

From my research it seems as though Ford put these M5OD's in trucks right up to 2008. So I wonder if a M5OD trans from an '08 F150 4X4 will fit into my 1996. If anyone has any experience or knowledge of this I'd be grateful.

In the meantime I ordered a new shift bushing kit to install. It's a real long shot but for $50.00 bucks and a bit of work why not right?

Quick Reply: Transmission compatibility?