Topic Sponsor

1995 Shift Cable problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1995 Shift Cable problem

I changed the shift cable out back in August. It shifted much tighter but overall did well until this morning. I backed out and accidentally put it in 2nd instead of Drive. Went to shift it to drive and it wouldnt budge. I messed with it a bit after that and still a no-go so I pulled back into my drive. Turned off the engine, crawled underneath, and popped off the cable from the trans shift linkage. I could move the linkage by hand just fine but even with the cable disconnected, I still couldnt move the shifter. Pulled it out and found a nice bend in the hard plastic sleeve at the end of the cable, where the metal rod slips in and out. Trying to shift apparently put something out of whack and bent the sleeve. So i went to oreillys and changed it out again. got home and put the new one in, thought I was done and then it wouldnt shift out of drive. it's doing the same thing...

basically, the part of the metal rod is pushing against the plastic sleeve and bowing it out. i dont know why it's doing it. it's a pretty straight forward install on the cable.

any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails 1995 Shift Cable problem-untitled.jpg  
Old 10-12-2012, 03:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i believe i solved the problem. i never adjusted the shifting cable. after much searching, i found the procedure. thanks for reading.
The following users liked this post:
Just call me Sean (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 06:35 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Thanks for letting us know.

Quick Reply: 1995 Shift Cable problem