Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Retrofitting with LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Retrofitting with LEDs

Bought my '17 XLT couple months ago and I'm interested in converting the stock incandescent & halogen lighting to LEDs. I know the Headlights and Fog lights are controversial as far as changing to LED bulbs using the factory housings as they're made for Halogens. The Anzo Headlights really appeal to me as well. I don't want to be going down the road blinding people or running something that is not street legal. How is the quality of the Anzos and how well do they hold up?

The taillights are another thing. I like the tailights that have the lit outline but I think they are factory ones from a higher trim level than mine. Or I can just swap the filament bulbs out with Leds.

For the license plate and cargo light/third brake light bulbs, is it worth it to get new lenses for those too or do they work good just changing the bulb to LED?

Anzo Headlights and Tailights get expensive. I see they also make a Third Brake Light housing and somebody else makes new tag light lenses. I dont know if those two items are worth it versus just a simple bulb change and keep the factory housings and lenses. So debating whether to change the bulbs or spend the money on new housings.

Thanks

Last edited by asdaven; 08-24-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by asdaven
Bought my '17 XLT couple months ... For the license plate and cargo light/third brake light bulbs, is it worth it to get new lenses for those too or do they work good just changing the bulb to LED?...So debating whether to change the bulbs or spend the money on new housings.
I can chime in on this a little bit -- I bought straight LED replacement bulbs from 4x4truckleds.com for the cargo and reverse housings (so I can see through the tint!) and they seem to be working fine and they are super bright vs the original bulbs. I think the plate would be fine too but beyond that someone else will have to help...
Old 08-24-2017, 11:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

To be honest, save the extra cash on a HID retrofit, which, if done right, will eclipse $1K. Unless $$ is not an option with you...

As others above have said, I have a 13 XLT, with the crappy OEM halogens, and researched a TON on here, and elected to go with the 4X4 Truck LED set up.

Could not have been happier. Output is fantastic, form and fitment perfect, install easy. Customer service top-notch.

The extra $700 will be well sent in other areas on my EcoBoost...

My $0.02
Old 08-25-2017, 07:29 AM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by brainpa
To be honest, save the extra cash on a HID retrofit, which, if done right, will eclipse $1K. Unless $$ is not an option with you...
$1k if you send it out to someone and get all kinds of halos and led strips and stuff done. You can easily retrofit yourself for around $300-$400...
Old 08-26-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Or retrofit with the new morimoto m led projector and have the best of both.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:05 AM

Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by SnapThrow
I can chime in on this a little bit -- I bought straight LED replacement bulbs from 4x4truckleds.com for the cargo and reverse housings (so I can see through the tint!) and they seem to be working fine and they are super bright vs the original bulbs. I think the plate would be fine too but beyond that someone else will have to help...
Which Reverse bulbs did you go with?

I might have gotten the rear windows tinted a little darker than I should so I need to boost the light output so we can see!
Old 08-31-2017, 12:39 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Most folks get the CL90 reverse. A FEW people ordered the CL70s but CL90 are what I think Snap went with
Old 09-24-2017, 07:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2012 and need to upgrade... what headlight bulbs did you purchase? Also did you upgrade the housing? I've heard even with LEDs our housings are terrible.
Originally Posted by brainpa

As others above have said, I have a 13 XLT, with the crappy OEM halogens, and researched a TON on here, and elected to go with the 4X4 Truck LED set up.

Could not have been happier. Output is fantastic, form and fitment perfect, install easy. Customer service top-notch.

The extra $700 will be well sent in other areas on my EcoBoost...

My $0.02
Old 09-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Ncm86 that's correct. Even with LED bulbs your housings are terrible. With that said upgrading to LED will be a big improvement. Your lows will look amazing. Going to highs won't be as dramatic however since you're just changing the LED bulbs that are on, thus the alignment (similar to what a halogen does, except with halogens you are changing to a brighter halogen filiment). So it'll help a bit going to highs but really the lows is what will outshine everything else.

You want H13 bulbs for your 2012 truck.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
Most folks get the CL90 reverse. A FEW people ordered the CL70s but CL90 are what I think Snap went with
The CL90's are what I went with thanks to the suggestions here!

My wife is impressed with them!

I put the Rear Cargo and 3rd light bulbs in as well and they are impressive to boot.

I should have ordered the rear tail lights when I did the others but did not.
That has been remedied as I ordered them yesterday so I can replace them when my OEM tailgate damper gets here to replace my DeeZee one.

Now I just need to decide on the headlights.

Should I replace the housings (with the outline ones) or just go with the low beams G9's as probably 90% of our driving is with low beams?

Last edited by BigDozer66; 09-24-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Retrofitting with LEDs