Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

power source for adding led lighting to my bed

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 07:10 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts
Default power source for adding led lighting to my bed

i've read the threads about tapping into the wires to have led lighting in the bed light up when a door is opened or when the unlock button is pushed (already did that for the illuminated door sills) but i'm going another route. i plan on installing a rocker switch in the bed so i can turn on the lights when i want them to be on and also not have them turn off after 30 seconds.

can anyone direct me to a constant hot that i can tap into? hoping there is something relatively easy to get to in the rear of the truck but i have a sinking feeling there isn't. i could always fall back to the most basic plan and run a fused wire directly to the battery but if i don't have to run wire that far i would rather not.

thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:50 PM
Lost in Time

Received 213 Likes on 98 Posts

I found a hot wire in the rear corner of the cab, driver's side going up to the exterior cab light. Sorry, but I recall the colors.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by nineball
i've read the threads about tapping into the wires to have led lighting in the bed light up when a door is opened or when the unlock button is pushed (already did that for the illuminated door sills) but i'm going another route. i plan on installing a rocker switch in the bed so i can turn on the lights when i want them to be on and also not have them turn off after 30 seconds.

can anyone direct me to a constant hot that i can tap into? hoping there is something relatively easy to get to in the rear of the truck but i have a sinking feeling there isn't. i could always fall back to the most basic plan and run a fused wire directly to the battery but if i don't have to run wire that far i would rather not.

thanks for any help anyone can provide.
I ran a constant hot for mine, using the provided wire channels, from the front to the back of the cab, out the rear cab vent, drilled a hole through the plastic retainer plugs in the bed and through the plastic bed liner to wire mine in.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For my bed rail lighting I just tapped into the included bed lights and controlled by the factory switch.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Slemmer
For my bed rail lighting I just tapped into the included bed lights and controlled by the factory switch.
that would be very easy to do... if my truck came with that option
Old 05-19-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slemmer

What lights did you use to add under the bed rail?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had six 5-led boards that I wired in parallel to each side of the box. Lots of light.
The following users liked this post:
D B Mason (05-19-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 04:37 PM

i ended up using the 7pin trailer harness for power and did a little write-up.

https://www.f150forum.com/f83/led-be...lation-386623/