Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Advice-Bed lighting

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice-Bed lighting

So first off, I've spent my life in the military, retired and been working as a single dad of 3 kids! I finally was able to buy an F150. I bought my favorite yet a bit older 2013 F150 XLT.

So that explains why I'm new here haha now the question.

My truck has a cover, and as a firefighter I keep my gear in the bed which at 2am is dark! I'm very good with wiring and setting up lights but my question is, I want the lights to cut on ONLY when I pop my cover. So like a pressure switch or a magnetic switch, but is this even possible on a truck? Or does anyone have any suggestions to a brand that has that option built in?

Thanks for any help in advance and I can't wait to become a more involved member here and be apart of this F150 life!
Old 06-25-2017, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Yeah it's possible. It's the same type of sensor they used to use (they might still use) in doors. A button sensor that is pushed down when the door/cap is closed. You'd have to wire it into lights/etc...

What kind of lights are you looking to do in the bed? You have lots of options. You can find LED rope light on eBay (and our site, but it's not a huge seller, it's so much cheaper on amazon/eBay). Then wire it in and you are done. It'll take some work but you have time.

You can also install off-road light bars (they come in every size from 4" all the way up to 54"). So maybe a few small 4" light bar pods in the corners.

There's no "kit" out there that would make this install easy. You'd really just need to piece out the parts list.

Start with a door sensor or a magnetic sensor. Wire'd up to a relay, wired up to lights.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Some other options to consider - opening the TAILGATE (not the cover) turns on the lights. I put a switch in the bed that is on/off/on. Wired it with fused power from the battery (do not tap into the trailer wires), and grounded via the switch. That handles one of the ON positions. The other ON position is a mercury switch mounted in the tailgate. When the switch is in the 2nd ON position, and you open the tailgate, the light comes on. Turning the switch to OFF overrides everything, in case I want the tailgate open (or off) and no lights on.