Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Looking for LED tails

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 07:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Looking for LED tails

I've been trying to decide what LED tail lights to go with. I've seen multiple, multiple posts within the forums bashing Recon. Has anyone had good experiences with their products? I really like the look of their's the best but keep thinking about all the negativity towards them.

What about Spyer or Anzo products?

Cheap China products on eBay?

My best route may just be tint my stocks.......

Suggestions?
Old 05-14-2014, 07:52 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by dobbern
I've been trying to decide what LED tail lights to go with. I've seen multiple, multiple posts within the forums bashing Recon. Has anyone had good experiences with their products? I really like the look of their's the best but keep thinking about all the negativity towards them.

Suggestions?
Hi.

All junk - hence the negativitiy - it was earned

Options:

- tint the internals (stay legal that way): http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...ht=harley+tail

- Build yer own LED arrays: http://www.f150online.com/forums/ill...light=led+tail

- Buy Hella LED tails ( if you can find a set ). EDIT: belay that - saw later yer truck is a 2010 (yer fault fer not stating that in the post - I hate having to go look, lol. Consider the different model years linked to as examples - procedures still applicable)

-Vled V3's ( my choice, in conjunction with option 1; second choice = build arrays )

good luck

Last edited by MGD; 05-14-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

MGD makes sense once again. We glad to have ya aboard! Either way those are two excellent ways. I just bought a cheap set of ebay tail lights for about $30 and put in some real nice LEDs. The bulbs have 10 CREE LEDs one each bulb, but are fairly expensive. I'd suggest doing the above if you don't mind the extra work. Seems super creative to me.
The following users liked this post:
MGD (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 08:11 PM
MGD
former member

Originally Posted by 03f15012
MGD makes sense once again. We glad to have ya aboard! Either way those are two excellent ways. I just bought a cheap set of ebay tail lights for about $30 and put in some real nice LEDs. The bulbs have 10 CREE LEDs one each bulb, but are fairly expensive. I'd suggest doing the above if you don't mind the extra work. Seems super creative to me.
Thankee kindly, brotha!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:23 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

I've been trying to decide what LED tail lights to go with. I've seen multiple, multiple posts within the forums bashing Recon. Has anyone had good experiences with their products? I really like the look of their's the best but keep thinking about all the negativity towards them. What about Spyer or Anzo products? Cheap China products on eBay? My best route may just be tint my stocks....... Suggestions?
I have an anzo led 3rd brake light and it's been great. No leaks, LEDs are bright, the cargo lights actually light up the bed and they are black when not in use... Definitely not junk!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:29 PM
MGD
former member

Originally Posted by fordguy2100
I have an anzo led 3rd brake light and it's been great. No leaks, LEDs are bright, the cargo lights actually light up the bed and they are black when not in use... Definitely not junk!
Hi.

Glad for yall. Unfortunately the experiences of the community at large does not typically reflect your results consistently. Also - a tail is a more complex construct, and the light pattern required for visibility / safety is far more crucial than any 3rd brake light.

BTW - If'n you saw a retrofitted 3rd brake light with a properly engineered array, you would likely soil yer shorts.

Cheers!
MGD
Old 05-14-2014, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

I'd be interested in that! I'd say I would try it on my old 3rd brake light housing.

...If the thing weren't melted! Stupid harness shorted out and left a nasty mark on the housing...
Old 05-15-2014, 10:07 AM

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Suggestions?
Spyder, Anzo, Putco, Recon, Ebay...they're all coming from the same Chinese factories. They're just available to you at different price points. If you want to go that route just find the cheapest set you can and seal them up with some good quality RTV and hope for the best. I've been doing that for many years on my past three trucks and the cheaper Ebay lights perform just as "well" as the more expensive versions. Just plan on either replacing them every couple of years when you start to get resistor failures and such or go the more expensive route up front with some custom lights. You'll end up paying the same in the end after you keep replacing them over and over, anyway. That's my 2 cents FWIW.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you fellas.......Are there any users out there retrofitting tails? All the images were missing on the links, I'm interested to see what retro LED look like. I just finished my headlight retros and I just don't have the time right now to start another project. It has to be less complex/time consuming than headlights right?
Old 05-15-2014, 10:29 AM
MGD
former member

Thank you fellas.......Are there any users out there retrofitting tails? All the images were missing on the links, I'm interested to see what retro LED look like. I just finished my headlight retros and I just don't have the time right now to start another project. It has to be less complex/time consuming than headlights right?
Hi.

Sorry aboot the linkies - no control over other' Photobucket issues, lol.

As recompense, have a looksee into HIDplanet's LED section - a massive amount of info, pics, results, tech, and how-to's. May need to join (free!) to see ever'thang.

www.hidplanet.com

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/foru...ay.php?13-LEDs

It's not difficult - just time-consuming. But - a good hobby is not judged by how quickly one achieves results - or even if results are achieved at all!

Start with a spare set of tails to experiment with, to keep yer DD on the road.

good luck
MGD
The following users liked this post:
dobbern (05-15-2014)

Quick Reply: Looking for LED tails