Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weigh your crap, you may be surprised! Post what you find

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Default Weigh your crap, you may be surprised! Post what you find

I am in the process of getting rid of my current truck, and got a large plastic container to putt all my stuff in. All the stuff under the back seat, straps, cleaning supplies, tools, ETC.. This did not include anything from the console or glove box or doors. Just this one bin with all the stuff that fits neatly under the back seat.

Well, I thought it felt pretty heavy when I lifted the box out and sure enough, it was 80 pounds of stuff! I'll bet there is another 10 pounds in the console and glove box too. When I get my new truck, guess how much goes back in it, very little. Just a couple straps, and the drying cloth. Going to knock that 80 pounds down to less than 20 if I can.

Anyone who is looking to tow heavy might want to get a big container and a scale and see just how much stuff you have in the truck that is taking up weight.

Post up and let's see.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:36 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

I haven't weighed my box, but I have a big plastic tool box in the bed that has most of the tools that I own. Along with the head of my WDH, an extra jack, straps, different hitches with *****, and a few other things.

It's a good way to get hurt if I take it out myself. I have a 350# generator that I have loaded and unloaded solo and the toolbox is just as heavy.

In my towing calcs, I've accounted for the 350# toolbox and an additional 50# of Misc. in the cab.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:19 PM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

I have my own spreadsheet of all my junk.....errr.....stuff that I personally know and weighed. I'd post it but after thinking twice, I think I'd rather not due to one of those TMI's LOL. But seriously, 95% of all my stuff are in my DECKED system in the bed. The other 5% is in the center console which I could weigh it but too lazy I'm curious to see others who've had their trucks for years to post what they found after cleaning them up for a trade-in/selling realizing that's what making their rig HEAVY lol.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:57 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Daily I carry an electric air pump, 4-ratchet straps, breaker bar with socket for wheel lugs and spare jug of washer fluid.

Longer trips I bring my socket set and small toolbox with some screwdrivers etc.

Camping trips: all the above plus 3-ton floor jack, two 3-ton jackstands, full toolbox, rubber mallet, 10-lb sledge, tow straps, HD chains, air compressor with air gun, wheel ramps, power tools (drill, impact, sawzall), tray of misc nuts and bolts, spools of red/black wiring, electrical crimping set, soldering kit, dremel and extra-large first-aid kit. But all that goes in the TT... I keep everything out of the truck except the humans.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:38 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Yeah, I've always figured about 100 lb of misc crap into my calculations...plus the tonneau and bed mat.

When towing though, everything that fits in the trailer goes in the trailer.

Quick Reply: Weigh your crap, you may be surprised! Post what you find