Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing weight capacity

Old 07-29-2018, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Towing weight capacity

Been going crazy trying to figure out what my payload capacity and if I have enough tongue weight, hitch weight with my truck. Been searching the web and I’m coming up with different answers. Can someone help..thanks

2014 F150 4x4 supercab, 145 WB, 3.5L ecoboost V6 engine
Elec 6 speed auto w/tow mod, 3.31 axle, 7200 gvwr package,
Trailer sway control..
Base curb wt-5476
Payload-1660
GVWR-7200
GAWR-3850
Max cargo-1518
Max gross trailer wt w/wD- 10,500
Max tongue w/wD-1050
Max loaded trailer WT-9300
Added- Air bags and E rated tires
TT
UVW-5109
Gvwr-6631
Hitch weight-631
Rear-3000 ea.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 316 Likes on 200 Posts

Looks like you have the numbers. What’s the question?
Old 07-29-2018, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From want I can see the trailer has more then enough room to add 1000lbs. If I do add 1000lbs (total about 6100lbs) to the trailer how will that effect my payload on my truck. I’m getting twenty different answer on this and the answer I get are not close to each other....
Old 07-29-2018, 01:40 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

Yes. If you add 1000lbs to the trailer your tongue weight will go up or down depending on where the weight is added. In front of the trailer axle(s) and tongue weight will go up. Over the axle(s) tongue weight will probably stay the same. Behind the axle(s) and tongue weight will go down.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

If you read some of the many threads in this section, you'd see the explanations time and time again.

In short, the average trailer puts 13% of the weight on the tongue. So, 100 pounds of trailer leads to 13 pounds on the tongue. Your 6,100 pound trailer, ON AVERAGE, puts 793 pounds of weight on the truck, dropping your payload to 867. Subtract 100 pounds for a weight distribution hitch and you have 767 available pounds for you, your passengers, their stuff, and any other mods you made to the truck.

Working the math:

Your 1,660 pounds of payload, minus the weight of you and your passengers, minus 100 pounds of weight distribution hitch, equals the remaining payload.

Assuming 500 pounds of passengers, plus 100 that's 600 pounds to subtract from 1,660, leaving 1,060 of remaining payload. But your hitch is constrained at 1,050...

Working more math:

1,050 pounds max tongue weight with WDH, minus the 100 pounds for the WDH, = 950 max tongue weight, which also leads you to a max LOADED trailer of 7,308.

You need to drive to the scales, weight the truck full of gas with the normal stuff in it (not you), weigh the loaded trailer, weigh the tongue, weight the trailer loaded on the truck with the bars tightened...
The following users liked this post:
smokeywren (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 03:08 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Letup27
Been going crazy trying to figure out what my payload capacity and if I have enough tongue weight, hitch weight with my truck.
Rich gave you the answer. I'll clarify a tiny bit.

You need to know the actual payload capacity available for hitch weight. Payload capacity available for hitch weight = GVWR of the tow vehicle, minus the wet and loaded weight of the tow vehicle. The only way to get close to that number is to

1] load the tow vehicle with everybody and everything that will be in it when towing. Don't cheat yourself. Put it all in. Campfire wood, tools and jacks, toys, generator?, fuel for the toys and generator, everything that weighs more than a handkerchief that you might haul when towing.
2] Drive to a truck stop that has a truck scale. A "truck scale" has at least 3 pads, one for the steer axle, one for the drive axle, and the third for the trailer axle(s). Most common is the CAT brand truck scale.
3] Fill up with gas
4] Weigh the wet and loaded tow vehicle without a trailer
5] Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded tow vehicle from the GVWR and the answer is the payload capacity available for hitch weight.

"Enough tongue weight" = 12% to 14% of gross trailer weight, averaging 13% of gross trailer weight. Most experts state you need 10% to 15% tongue weight, but I've found that at least 12% is better for minimizing the tendency for a trailer to want to sway, and more than 14% doesn't help anything but requires more payload capacity available for hitch weight. So aim for the 13% average, but settle for anything between 12% and 14%.

So you need to know not only tongue weight but gross trailer weight. The best way to determine those numbers is to weigh the tongue of the trailer with a tongue weight scale, then weigh the tow vehicle and trailer on a truck scale, without the spring bars of a WD hitch, to get trailer axle weight.Tongue weight plus trailer axle weight = gross trailer weight. Tongue weight divided by gross trailer weight = percent of tongue weight. Attempting to determine those weights without actually using weight scales is an exercise in futility.

If you don't have access to a tongue weight scale, then you can determine actual tongue with two passes over the truck scale. The first pass is tow vehicle and trailer hitched together, without the spring bars of a WD hitch. The second pass is with the tow vehicle only, without the trailer. Add the weights on the front and rear axles of the tow vehicle to get GVW. Subtract GVW without the trailer from GVW with the trailer and the answer is actual tongue weight.

Hitch weight is tongue weight without a WD hitch, plus the shipping weight of your WD hitch. So "enough hitch weight" means you have enough tongue weight. If you have enough tongue weight, then you'll have enough hitch weight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing weight capacity