Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pick up camper or pull behind?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 11:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pick up camper or pull behind?

Retirement is getting closer. Not quite there yet. Looking at getting a go visiting rig.
Was originally going to over kill it and get a F250.... Until I noted the prices... Holy Cow!! They really like them.
To find one in my $30,000 range would be completely worn out and beat to death.

Seems I can find a 2015 and newer F150 ( going to get the Coyote engine) 4wd ect with lower miles. I have seen a few in that price range.
So finding one should not be an issue.
Any way. mostly it will just be my wife and I heading out across America becoming pests to every one we have not seen in a while.
Hence the taking our own bed.

What are you guys pulling? Does not need to be too big.
Its just the two of us.

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; 07-28-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:22 AM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

With the payload with an F-150 I would forget about a pickup camper, especially for two people as its going to have to be small to stay within the capabilities of a half ton. Your options for a travel trailer will be much better and also still allow you to use the truck for day trips while your camp is set up. There are alot of great travel trailer floor plans out there in reasonable size, easy to pull trailers. Right now will be tough to find one though, they are selling as soon as they hit the lots so prepare to pay more if you do find one right now.
The following users liked this post:
A pause for the COZ (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 11:26 AM

Received 241 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm in a similar position. Will be retiring soon and looking at getting a tow behind TT. It's just the 2 of us. I won't be posting any "Can my F150 pull this size trailer".... Probably will get in the 20-22 foot range.... We did a lot of wilderness backpacking over the years in tents etc.... That's all I need... and more....
Old 07-28-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by kozal01
With the payload with an F-150 I would forget about a pickup camper, especially for two people as its going to have to be small to stay within the capabilities of a half ton. Your options for a travel trailer will be much better and also still allow you to use the truck for day trips while your camp is set up. There are alot of great travel trailer floor plans out there in reasonable size, easy to pull trailers. Right now will be tough to find one though, they are selling as soon as they hit the lots so prepare to pay more if you do find one right now.
Thanks. I want to get all of this stuff purchased and paid for before retirement. SO I am open to options. I have 4 Ford trucks now. So I could buy the trailer now if I find a deal.
And get the truck when ever. Usually when the wife says. " I thought you were going to get a new truck?"
Yup lets pull in here.
Thats how I got my Power Stroke. :-)
Old 07-28-2020, 12:11 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 706 Posts

Just the wife and I camping so 25' box on the TT Front bedroom, rear is the bathroom, with a slide-out for dining. If grand kids come they can sleep in a tent.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:31 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by A pause for the COZ
Retirement is getting closer. Not quite there yet. Looking at getting a go visiting rig.
Was originally going to over kill it and get a F250.... Until I noted the prices... Holy Cow!! They really like them.
To find one in my $30,000 range would be completely worn out and beat to death.

Seems I can find a 2015 and newer F150 ( going to get the Coyote engine) 4wd ect with lower miles. I have seen a few in that price range.
So finding one should not be an issue.
Any way. mostly it will just be my wife and I heading out across America becoming pests to every one we have not seen in a while.
Hence the taking our own bed.

What are you guys pulling? Does not need to be too big.
Its just the two of us.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

^^ $28K

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight

^^$30k

these are all on west coast..your area mite be different
Old 07-28-2020, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by BRUTE448
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

^^ $28K

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight

^^$30k

these are all on west coast..your area mite be different
I am in the rust belt. ( Minnesota) All of those trucks that age here the boxes are rusted out. The box supports are rusted out. the cab corners are gone.
Now it may be worth the flight to get a rust free example. Hmmmmmm The reason i picked a 15 or newer F150 was the Aluminum body. No more rusted out cab corners.
Actually just helped a coworker flip the box on his 2010 F250. had to weld in all new cross members and the wheel wells are disintegrating.
I was going to buy it from him. ummm Nah.

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; 07-28-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:47 PM
dmd

Received 301 Likes on 213 Posts

The 5.0 is can pull all of that well, if you can get a 2017+ you can get a max tow with the new gen 3.5L that will do very well for towing, expecially
at higher altitudes (you say you will be going all over). You can only get the 3.5L with the max tow option, with a smaller trailer you are probably
fine with the regular tow option and the 5.0. Some have had oil consumption issues with the newer 5.0 and it seems they havent completely resolved
that with all of the owners with consumption issues, those motors are the 2017+(I believe). It is not a common issue, but if you have the issue it is not
trivial.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by dmd
The 5.0 is can pull all of that well, if you can get a 2017+ you can get a max tow with the new gen 3.5L that will do very well for towing, expecially
at higher altitudes (you say you will be going all over). You can only get the 3.5L with the max tow option, with a smaller trailer you are probably
fine with the regular tow option and the 5.0. Some have had oil consumption issues with the newer 5.0 and it seems they havent completely resolved
that with all of the owners with consumption issues, those motors are the 2017+(I believe). It is not a common issue, but if you have the issue it is not
trivial.
I have been thinking about the 3.5 replacing the turbos when the vent gate wears out has scared me off of that. I like the 5.0 because I think it is over built when used in a truck.
They designed that thing for much higher compression and rpms in the Mustang. I dont think a F150 would even stress it much.

Now it seems both of my Children have and are moving to Colorado. West side of the mountain no less.)No doubt the Turbo would perform much better there.

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; 07-28-2020 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:07 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by A pause for the COZ
I am in the rust belt. ( Minnesota) All of those trucks that age here the boxes are rusted out. The box supports are rusted out. the cab corners are gone.
Now it may be worth the flight to get a rust free example. Hmmmmmm The reason i picked a 15 or newer F150 was the Aluminum body. No more rusted out cab corners.
Actually just helped a coworker flip the box on his 2010 F250. had to weld in all new cross members and the wheel wells are disintegrating.
I was going to buy it from him. ummm Nah.

ahh i see! yea 15+ would deff suit your needs better!

Quick Reply: Pick up camper or pull behind?