Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need input on suspension options for towing

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input on suspension options for towing

1st time on the site. I have the 2011 F150 w/ecoboost engine. Love it but need to beef up the rear suspension. I'm selling our Coleman pop-up and getting a travel trailer. I get a substantial drop in the hitch just hooking up the coleman so I'm going to beef up the suspension in anticipation of getting a new TT and I need input.

Thought about airbag type with a compressor so i can inflate or deflate it from the cab but I just got the quote from the dealer and it's going to run $1100... Ouch, so I'm looking for alternatives. Is this a typical cost for these airbag shocks? Options?

I'm also going to install a cold air intake and new exhaust to get a bit more out of the engine, comments. I'm not a gear head so keep that in mind when you respond... LOL

Thanks in advance!

Rob
Mesa, AZ
Old 09-20-2012, 09:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

There are air bags and air shocks. The air bags are what you want, check the Airlift and Firestone sites. I have used Airlifts in the past and they performed well. If hauling a TT you will want to get a weight distributing hitch which will take some of the load off the rear axle. I also used to use a friction bar type of anti sway control. Both the WD and antisway were Reese.
Most CAI systems are for show (IMHO) and I don't know enough about your gen truck to comment on the exhaust. Make sure your cooling system is up to snuff and consider a bigger transmission cooler.
regards
rikard

Last edited by rikard; 09-20-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 PM

Got it. I need all the input I can get on brands, options (like I wasn't thinking about the WD hitch). Putting my check list together! Thanks Rikard...
Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How big of a trailer do you plan to get? And do you have the tow package with the 7-pin and 4-pin connectors? If you don't have the factory tow package you'll be limited to 5000# IIRR.
With a weight distribution (WD) hitch you may not need any airbags. The WD hitch will transfer some of the weight on the rear axle to the front axle and also the trailer axles. Reese and Equalizer are 2 good hitch brands. I'm running a Reese Dual Cam (WD hitch and sway control.)
Don't forget the trailer brake controller also, either the Ford factory one or a Tekonsha Prodigy aftermarket. The Ford controller integrates with the stability system but the computer needs to be re-flashed for it to recognize the controller.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

If you don't want to go the airbag route, you can add a leaf to the rear spring pack or go with Roadmaster Active Suspension (thats what I run). There are pros and cons to each setup. The ecoboost in stock form can easily pull just about anything you can put behind it. If you still need more power, the best bang for the buck is a tuner such as 5Star, Livernois, SCT, MPT, ect.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:16 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

You should not need air bags (or any other mods) with a correctly adjusted WDH when towing a TT. If you do, you could be over some of the trucks limits (worth having a look into). Post some more specs of the trailer and your truck!
The engine will do fine, no mods needed IMO. You'd be way over all other limits before the engine starts restricting you.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 AM

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by flixden
You should not need air bags (or any other mods) with a correctly adjusted WDH when towing a TT. If you do, you could be over some of the trucks limits (worth having a look into). Post some more specs of the trailer and your truck!
The engine will do fine, no mods needed IMO. You'd be way over all other limits before the engine starts restricting you.
^^^^^ this is good info !
the add a leaf will make your truck stiff when empty,
and might kill the ride of your truck. Roadmaster Active Suspension i have heard good things but i dont know first hand. do you have a trailer picked out if you do check all the load limits (truck and trailer)and see if you are near or over the limits. if you do your homework you will be happy and not over loading your truck!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by flixden
You should not need air bags (or any other mods) with a correctly adjusted WDH when towing a TT. If you do, you could be over some of the trucks limits (worth having a look into).
OK, I'm going to disagree with flixden here. He's got the HD Payload option which toughens up the springs, shocks and adds lt-metric (truck) tires. All of these improve the handling under load, so he may not realize that without the HD Payload option, these trucks are pretty floaty under load. (bouncy, rock&rolly, squirmy, whatever). Great for commuting, not so great towing/hauling.

Not talking sag here, just handling. Agree that the WDH will deal with sag and lifting weight off the front, and that can help with some front end handling issues. But there's handling issues beyond that. If you're only occasionally loading up, you can probably live with it. But if you're towing all the time, and maybe finicky like me, you want to do something about it.

So far I've added Roadmaster Active Suspension (but there's numerous other options like SuperSprings, Air bags), switched to LT-metric tires (for safety and handling reasons) and next week will be swapping in heavy-duty shocks (Ford's, just like what Flixden has on his truck). None of this will increase my payload, which is ok as it is, but they all have improved the handling under load.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Jerry

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

My airbags were about 200 bucks and they are pretty easy to install. I don't have a lift or major power tools, just basic hand tools and a drill. They require zero drilling for the install of the bags. I did drill to plumb the lines into the cab next to the back seat to protect them from the elements. I just use a basic air compressor with psi gauge to fill them when I tow. Think bicycle tire air compressor, not heavy duty. Takes less than five minutes to fill and then fits easily under back seat. They are airlift ride rite brand.

Last edited by jerrybizzle; 09-21-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:51 AM

More specs:

I have the 2011 F150 XLT super crew with 4x4, ecoboost engine for 367HP, ford factory hitch and break controller with sway control. I have t picked out a TT yet but do not want to exceed 7000lbs dry weight. I know how easy it is to add lbs with water, generators, etc... Truck is rated to haul up to 9600lbs and I know the stock engine can pull it without worries. My concern is control/handling while towing and the significant drop in the tail of he truck when hookin up. Like I said I get a pretty good drop just hooking up my Coleman and its ball weight is around 250lbs. So I have to stiffin up he read suspension but don't want it to ride like a wash board (too rigid). So rear suspension options and brands to look at or stay away from would be great help. Really appreciate all the feedback so far.

Rob

Quick Reply: Need input on suspension options for towing