Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good or dumb idea?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 09:52 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Default Good or dumb idea?

Was thinking of maybe getting an older F350 as a dedicated tow vehicle. Came across an 04 Dually Lariat with 119K on it and looks to be in good condition, at least by pictures. Since I am in a bind and can't get rid of my POS for at least 2 months, and kids start school mid August, our vacation plans have gone to hell. Is it worth having a second truck that is only used a few times a year? I'm in that I do but don't stage, then again if the truck is comfy and drives nice, then I would probably drive it more.

Too much is hinging on the case though, or I would have my wife drive the truck and trade her car in for a late model F350 and when the case is over, trade the F150 in for a car she wants, but if the case fails and I don't get a decent settlement, then I will be stuck with the truck for a few years until the equity levels out. That and she likes her Focus.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:27 PM

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Was thinking of maybe getting an older F350 as a dedicated tow vehicle. Came across an 04 Dually Lariat with 119K on it and looks to be in good condition, at least by pictures. Since I am in a bind and can't get rid of my POS for at least 2 months, and kids start school mid August, our vacation plans have gone to hell. Is it worth having a second truck that is only used a few times a year? I'm in that I do but don't stage, then again if the truck is comfy and drives nice, then I would probably drive it more.

Too much is hinging on the case though, or I would have my wife drive the truck and trade her car in for a late model F350 and when the case is over, trade the F150 in for a car she wants, but if the case fails and I don't get a decent settlement, then I will be stuck with the truck for a few years until the equity levels out. That and she likes her Focus.
What engine? I would buy an older V-10 with low miles.

Sorry, hard to remember...what are you towing that you need a dually? Or was that just what you found?

What was was wrong with your truck? Not everything of course, just what makes it not pull your current trailer.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2018, 11:19 PM

Way too much to type out again

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/one-t...1/#post5795576

I plan to upgrade my trailer to a heavier one within the next year or two, so going to be needing a bigger truck eventually, but because my current one I can't trust to drive a straight line, I wont tow with it.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:45 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

I would do it. Get a beastly beater to just do heavy towing. As long as it's up to date with maintenance and hasn't been modded and doesn't have some bad blowby it should be fine. And it costs much less than upgrading to a new truck that'll get crappy mileage on a daily basis. Then you have your 350 just for the heavy lifting and enjoy the better mileage with the newer truck while at the same time still being able to use it for other things.

I've mentioned it on the 2015+ forum before when people talk about buying the new F150 diesel and people always say it's a dumb idea. I think spending $65K+++ on a diesel Lariat as a daily driver is a dumb idea personally...

PS : If you get a 350, make sure it's the 7.3L. And I believe the golden years for the bullet proof 7.3 was 1999-2001.

Last edited by BlackBoost; 06-20-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:10 PM

THose are hard to find, and decent ones are upwards of $30K now! I can't believe that an 18 YO truck is worth more than trade on my 2 YO truck, but thats the case.

Here's one that caught my attention, looks clean in the photos.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6492/overview/

Last edited by acdii; 06-20-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

Just keep in mind the 6.0 diesel has a bad reputation.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:44 PM

So does the 6.4. Currently looking at 99 through early 03 that has the 7.3. The one thing I am not liking, and forgot that my 99 was like this, no rear head rests for the passengers. One of the reasons looking at a 1 ton is then I can take everyone with and not have 2 vehicles out at the same time on our trips. With the F150 I can take the two kids, and that's it or the truck is over GVWR. I can easily do it now with an F250, but then I am limited in what to upgrade to, and rules out a 5th wheel. I did spot a nice clean 02, but has a manual, and though I can drive any manual transmission out there, my knee can't.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

My dad has his 2011 F350 King Ranch CC RWD 6.7L PSD for sale....he's buying a 2019 F350. Use your strong US dollar as an advantage!
Old 06-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
THose are hard to find, and decent ones are upwards of $30K now! I can't believe that an 18 YO truck is worth more than trade on my 2 YO truck, but thats the case.

Here's one that caught my attention, looks clean in the photos.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6492/overview/
Wow that is one nice ride. Super clean too! But the 6.0.... I guess for 120k miles is shouldn't be that bad. If they could prove maintenance had been done with records, it might be well worth it. If not I'd be offering much less than that. Like, 10k. I wouldn't be above lowballing a higher mileage truck with unknown maintenance records lol
Old 06-20-2018, 04:40 PM

True, was thinking along those lines. Seeing those makes me wish I still had mine now. All it needed was a few mechanical items fixed, and some frame rust cleaned up underneath. The body was still solid, engine ran good, trans, eh, needed new torque converter. Front and rear diffs were newly rebuilt with 3.73 gears, and everything worked, but the front end needed rebuilding, along with the entire braking system, caliper, hoses, rotors, and shocks all around. At the time it would cost more to fix than the trucks value, but now, could easily get more for it. SMH, coulda shoulda woulda.

Going to wait a bit and see what happens with the current one before jumping on an old one. I just found a used 2017 Lariat with 19 miles on it. How it only has 19 and be used, beyond me, but it is $15K under its sticker with full warranty. However, this is the one I have a watch list on, https://www.brydenford.com/used/Ford...rchDepth=14:26 It has what I want and its a 1 ton.

Going to keep looking, never know when the right one pops up, if I find one that is just like my old one in color and trim, and has a decent price, I just might get it. The one I had was Tormaline, and I did find one, but the frame was tweaked on it.

Quick Reply: Good or dumb idea?