Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One thing finally fixed! Another thing crops up as a result

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Red face One thing finally fixed! Another thing crops up as a result

Well they finally got Ford to come up with a fix for the bad vibrations. Mild around 48 MPH, shakes like nuts above 70. If I had not insisted to check pinion angles, they would not have fixed it. So they added 2.5* shims and the truck finally is riding smoothly, first time in 44K miles. YEAH, but in order to replace the shims they of course had to drop the axle, which created a new problem, it changed the trucks thrust line so now it dog tracks. Going to have to get it realigned again for the 3rd time in less than a year. A good alignment shop will of course reset the axle so that it tracks straight instead of recentering the steering wheel.

One other thing I noticed, but still have to confirm is the bearing noise is gone, but I haven't driven it long enough to fully heat up, so Monday will be the true test that the pinion angle was the brunt of most of the issues.

They however have not been able to rectify the poor steering issues where the truck will change direction at random when going over bumps. They did correct it 14K miles ago with an update, but since no new updates are available, they can't reset it, or reflash it as the updates are one and done. Only option is to replace the EPAS, but that is not something they can do at will. If they fixed the steering and not the vibrations, I would be more inclined to keep the truck, but since they can't correct the random wander, I wont have a choice but to replace the truck.
The following users liked this post:
BubbaKen (06-02-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 10:41 PM

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Well they finally got Ford to come up with a fix for the bad vibrations. Mild around 48 MPH, shakes like nuts above 70. If I had not insisted to check pinion angles, they would not have fixed it. So they added 2.5* shims and the truck finally is riding smoothly, first time in 44K miles. YEAH, but in order to replace the shims they of course had to drop the axle, which created a new problem, it changed the trucks thrust line so now it dog tracks. Going to have to get it realigned again for the 3rd time in less than a year. A good alignment shop will of course reset the axle so that it tracks straight instead of recentering the steering wheel.

One other thing I noticed, but still have to confirm is the bearing noise is gone, but I haven't driven it long enough to fully heat up, so Monday will be the true test that the pinion angle was the brunt of most of the issues.

They however have not been able to rectify the poor steering issues where the truck will change direction at random when going over bumps. They did correct it 14K miles ago with an update, but since no new updates are available, they can't reset it, or reflash it as the updates are one and done. Only option is to replace the EPAS, but that is not something they can do at will. If they fixed the steering and not the vibrations, I would be more inclined to keep the truck, but since they can't correct the random wander, I wont have a choice but to replace the truck.
I just saw this thread now. Did you have a slight whirring noise around 50 MPH with yours? I've likened it to a washing machine slowly starting its spin cycle. It generally is inaudible above 60...but you can hear it right between 45-55 MPH. The dealership confirmed the sound and said it was normal. I don't have vibrations but I do think there's something up with my rear diff.

Also, with the random change of direction...are you talking about when the rear end hops and it feels like the back end is swinging out/steering wheel jerks? I have the wander as well...along with a weird thing with LKA that I assumed was due to LKA. Maybe all of it is EPAS.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:07 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by gopherman
I just saw this thread now. Did you have a slight whirring noise around 50 MPH with yours? I've likened it to a washing machine slowly starting its spin cycle. It generally is inaudible above 60...but you can hear it right between 45-55 MPH. The dealership confirmed the sound and said it was normal. I don't have vibrations but I do think there's something up with my rear diff.

Also, with the random change of direction...are you talking about when the rear end hops and it feels like the back end is swinging out/steering wheel jerks? I have the wander as well...along with a weird thing with LKA that I assumed was due to LKA. Maybe all of it is EPAS.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:44 PM
2015 F150 Guy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

This is the rear shocks. They suck. Change them and you'll be happy. It's WIDELY documented here.
Basically, the rear shocks are too weak to dampen the rear leaf spring, so the truck bounces all over the place.

Long story short, I like ICON 2.5" stuff but they're expensive. Most guys here go for Bilstein 5100s or Fox 2.0. Fixed for about $100 and 2 hours labor.
Do the rears and you'll notice how bad the fronts are and change them too. Save yourself the trouble and just buy (4) 2.5" ICON units and call it a day. LOL.
TomJV

Originally Posted by gopherman
The following users liked this post:
FLBLACKPLAT (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 431 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii

I guess I've read or seen pieces of this.

So let me make sure I got it all. Truck makes some noise on highway at ___ speed. Does the noise vary with speed, does it only come on at a certain speed? I think you said once it was anytime over 60 - any gear. Gets worse with towing?

Steering seems to trade direction when hitting a bump of significance on one side. Does this change in direction seems like a few degrees of steering input or significant jerk to the wheels?

leads me to a few questions. Have you ever had a light or an issue with ABS or Stability Control? Has the battery ever been replaced on your truck and what mods have you done?

If they shimed the axle to get the noise to go away I wonder if they forgot to fully disassemble your prop shaft and then re torque to it spec. It has to be loosed on both sides of the center bearing and then reinstalled basically to ensure there isn't any additional preloads. Or that's how it should be done, IMO.

On that bit about reloading the software - I call BS on that too. IIRC you can reflash the software of any module on the vehicle from the CAN buss via the software tool and you can direct it. IE I go out there and flash the firmware of the ABS/stability system controller. plug in - load up the interface - point to the ABS system - reflash module. blip blink done. Applies to all modules on the vehicle other than SRS - which can also be done but it's different due to law requirements. (erasing the recorder data and etc - something that's not part of the other systems)

Good Luck seems like your dealer is missing some things or not trying. Finally if you're over it what do you replace it with.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

The noise is when braking firmly from 60 MPH down to 20 as when slowing to turn on a highway. It groans loudly. I haven't listened lately, but between 40-45 MPH there is a noise from the rear that sounds like bearings that increases with speed, and is not the tires as I can hear the pitch change in the tires on concrete bridges, yet the low frequency hum is still there in the back. I had an inspector look the truck over and he heard it as well.

The other issues was a vibration felt in the seat and floor at certain speeds, and was directly due to pinion angle. The majority of the vibrations are gone, but the truck dog tracks now, and when towing I can see the entire left side of my small trailer, and just the front corner on the right in the mirrors. The remaining vibrations have moved from 48MPH down to 30, and are very mild, so if that was the only issue, I would call it solved, but the serious issue still remains and that is the unpredictable change in pull.

I can be going down the highway, with two fingers on the wheel, very little pressure at all and keep it right in the lanes, then occasionally the pull on the wheel will get stronger and start to drift to the right, or left, and I have to input more pressure than normal to keep it centered. This is on somewhat smooth pavement with just cracks in the road. On a rough road though, it is much worse. It can bee pulling right, and without the wheel moving, suddenly start pulling left, and if I have been holding a stiff amount of pressure to keep it from going right, it is now suddenly moving quickly left. If the road is rough enough the truck will ping pong across the lane. With the Lane Keeping on, if I let go of the wheel and the arrows stay lit, the truck will bounce between the lines all on it's own. Because of another issue I had where it tried to force me left when it thought I ran over the shoulder line, I have turned the LKA off.

With weight in the back, it is even worse. It wasn't bad towing my little trailer, but with the RV on the back, it was a handful on I-80 coming out of Nebraska. Every bump I hit, the truck changed direction.

Quick Reply: One thing finally fixed! Another thing crops up as a result