Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best discussion of f150 towing I've read

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 10:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default best discussion of f150 towing I've read

What I know about towing is limited to be sure so i'm always reading whatever I can. I knew enough to buy a truck that would do what I wanted but it took me two trucks to learn. This article I found is all about the F150 towing capabilities and it's explained so so even I can understand it. tow package, max tow package, 3.55 axles, 3.73 axles, engine sizes etc etc. Figured I'd share in case anyone else finds it interesting.

https://vehq.com/size-travel-trailer-f-150-pull/
The following 2 users liked this post by KamiSue:
flyflotr (09-13-2019), HacksawMark (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 01:46 AM

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Ya it's a good article. I'd say 8k is at the top of the weight I'd feel comfortable towing.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:48 AM

Received 357 Likes on 228 Posts

Agreed. This is a very comprehensive explanation of how all the actual weights work together and affect the tow vehicle and trailer. I like it!
Old 09-11-2019, 02:36 AM

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

While researching about what truck I needed to tow my trailer, one of the first thing I discovered about most giving testimonials about what a 1/2 ton can't do or handle, never towed a long heavy trailer with one, have towed with some unknown inadequate truck, unknown year and spec'ed truck, or just speculation from some theory they read from the above mentioned persons about their experiences who never towed a long heavy trailer with a capable 1/2 ton.

Towing with a soft suspension and P rated tires Max Tow is not representative of what a 1/2 can't tow and handling. You have all these testimonials of people towing with a short box FX, or loaded 1/2 tons with SUV suspension and payloads talking about how they wouldn't want to tow any higher, as if their truck are representative of the capable limits of a 1/2 ton...I think not.

I do believe that the less capable Max Tow is probably limited to the 8,000lbs max/ 30-33 feet range that most guys believe it the max for the limitations of "a 1/2 ton", but that doesn't include the HDPP. At 37ft and 9,900lbs max weight, I wouldn't want to go any higher or longer, because I'm already close to maxing out my 1,320lbs hitch, I can't. 😊

The HDPP is good for more weight and more length in travel trailer capabilities, and I will bet the HDPP will tow and handle that extra weight and length much better that the Max Tow handles the lighter and shorter trailer.

If a person hasn't hitched up the HDPP to a long heavy travel trailer, and then reported back with the specific handling and towing characteristics from wind gusts limits, braking, stability, etc, they are just spouting off hot air in my book.

Last edited by Maury82; 09-11-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:57 AM

Received 1,335 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by Maury82
While researching about what truck I needed to tow my trailer, one of the first thing I discovered about most giving testimonials about what a 1/2 ton can't do or handle, never towed a long heavy trailer with one, have towed with some unknown inadequate truck, unknown year and spec'ed truck, or just speculation from some theory they read from the above mentioned persons about their experiences who never towed a long heavy trailer with a capable 1/2 ton.

Towing with a soft suspension and P rated tires Max Tow is not representative of what a 1/2 can't tow and handling. You have all these testimonials of people towing with a short box FX, or loaded 1/2 tons with SUV suspension and payloads talking about how they wouldn't want to tow any higher, as if their truck are representative of the capable limits of a 1/2 ton...I think not.

If a person hasn't hitched up the HDPP to a trailer, and then reported back, they are just blowing hot air in my book.
I just wish Ford would make a 145" HDPP Lariat of higher. I'm fine with taking the payload hit due to options, but see no reason I shouldn't be able to get the stronger parts and frame on a SCAB Lariat short bed. By my calculations it would have given my truck a payload of about 2,000. Basically I blame Ford for all the confusing mess. Should have a single box to check for any truck combo that gets you all the parts Ford has to give the truck maximum payload and towing available. It shouldn't be a puzzle.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikeinatlanta:
Kato0810 (09-17-2019), PerryB (09-11-2019), Shadebaby (05-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Super Long F-150?

They state that it's possible to get the F-150 with the Crew Cab and 8' bed. I'm quite sure that wasn't true in 2018, and I didn't think it was different in the preceding year or two either. I'm guessing they really meant the smaller extended super cab.

I know that combo exists for the F-250 and up, but didn't think that it ever did for the F-150, but I'm curious.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 2018LLB4x2
They state that it's possible to get the F-150 with the Crew Cab and 8' bed. I'm quite sure that wasn't true in 2018, and I didn't think it was different in the preceding year or two either. I'm guessing they really meant the smaller extended super cab.

I know that combo exists for the F-250 and up, but didn't think that it ever did for the F-150, but I'm curious.
Only the S.Cab and 8ft bed for the HDPP...157 WB only for any configuration.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:50 AM

Received 357 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Maury82

I do believe that the less capable Max Tow is probably limited to the 8,000lbs max/ 30-33 feet range that most guys believe it the max for the limitations of "a 1/2 ton", but that doesn't include the HDPP. At 37ft and 9,900lbs max weight, I wouldn't want to go any higher or longer, because I'm already close to maxing out my 1,320lbs hitch, I can't. 😊

The HDPP is good for more weight and more length in travel trailer capabilities, and I will bet the HDPP will tow and handle that extra weight and length much better that the Max Tow handles the lighter and shorter trailer.

If a person hasn't hitched up the HDPP to a long heavy travel trailer, and then reported back with the specific handling and towing characteristics from wind gusts limits, braking, stability, etc, they are just spouting off hot air in my book.
So, to summarize, unless you drive a unicorn HDPP F150 and are at the extreme end of the bell curve, your perception of how a 1/2 ton tows is hogwash......

The problem I see is that Ford and RV dealers constantly assume that everyone has a HDPP equipped truck when they do not; and, this leads to unrealistic towing expectations. "Half ton towable" is a term used excessively in the travel trailer world that no salesmen really understands. "Oh, you have an F150....this trailer is half ton towable....let's go sign the papers!" It happens everyday. The reality is that a lot of the "half ton towable" trailers can only be safely towed by a small minority of the F150's and 1500's out there on the road.

The article still brings up good points of where to watch your weight in payload and how tongue weight will greatly affect the truck's performance.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:57 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I could load my boat and trailer in the bed of my truck and still have payload to spare. i could probably drag the boat and trailer with the wheels off and not even know it was back there. But I intend to buy a small camper next year and everything i want is considerably less than the 5000# limit of my truck capacities and i'll still add the WDH and i already have the integrated brakes controller.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta
I just wish Ford would make a 145" HDPP Lariat of higher. I'm fine with taking the payload hit due to options, but see no reason I shouldn't be able to get the stronger parts and frame on a SCAB Lariat short bed. By my calculations it would have given my truck a payload of about 2,000. Basically I blame Ford for all the confusing mess. Should have a single box to check for any truck combo that gets you all the parts Ford has to give the truck maximum payload and towing available. It shouldn't be a puzzle.
It wasn't that confusion to me, and I bet I knew less about trucks than anyone on this forum, because this is my first truck, and first automatic transmission vehicle since my freshman year in college...in 1982.

I got the trailer I wanted first, and then had to research from scratch the various manufacturers and tow vehicles available that meet my needs.

I first looked at the Tundra, and then I hadon't to research and learn the very basics about payload, tow rating, the various acronyms for axles, tire types, rear end ratios, etc, before I could even begin understanding what I would need to know.

I went to the Silverado after eliminating the Tundra, and researched that, before realizing their Max Trailing option only comes with the LTZ and 6.2, and the hitch was still too low. Chevy try to funnel you into the higher trim packages for basic features, including their best transmission.

Went to Ford, and never heard of the HDPP, and thought the Max Tow was my top option in a 1/2 ton until I stumble on the HDPP, and I had to research that package from scratch, and that was after researching the Max Tow.

Then I had to research whether it was capable of towing and handling my trailer, and almost all comments were from people whom never towed a long heavy trailer with a HDPP, or from people towing with inadequate 1/2 ton trucks that had far less capabilities than a HDPP, so I went to the most reliable sources...drivers towing long and heavy with a HDPP.

The word out there is they tow and handles it's rating in a travel trailer very well, and it's true, and I'm glad I listened to the people who know from experience, not those doom and gloom arm chair speculators.

I don't look at trucks as something I would want to daily drive, so a bunch of features isn't what I wanted.

I do wish I had automatic four wheel drive,.and dual climate control for my always too cold girlfriend, but
Since I got a truck for towing, I needed all the payload I could get in a 1/2 ton, and I had to pick my options carefully. I didn't want the tailgate step, no sunroof, etc.
Got the remote start, spray in bedliner, flow through console, and the 301 option package.

I took the payload from the configuration I selected based on what is listed by Ford, and then guestimated my payload by deducting what I thought the weight of those options weighed from the payload. I guestimated between 2,400 - 2,500lbs...I got 2,475lbs.

Last edited by Maury82; 09-11-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: best discussion of f150 towing I've read