Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoTec 14.4" T-Style screen

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 11:15 AM
Hacker

Received 620 Likes on 321 Posts
Default AutoTec 14.4" T-Style screen

I'm moving the conversation from the "What did you do to your truck" thread over to here.
Don't want to clog that up with this mess.

See Update from AutoTec and the vendor in 3rd post:

The main issue is they either sent me the wrong unit or they're lying about the specs.
This is the unit that I purchased.
https://autotecpro.com/product/ford-...v=e4b09f3f8402
Some of the claimed specs...
The first two are not accurate based on the unit they sent me.

Newest Android 11 !
14.4″ QHD 2K 2560 x 1440 IPS Touch Screen !

Retain Original Sirius XM radio !
Retain Original Microsoft SYNC System !
Retain Original Heated Steering Wheel Control !
Retain Original Massage Seat Control !
Retain Original Physical Climate Control !
Retain Original 360 Cameras and Reverse Camera !
Retain Original SONY, B&O Sound System !
Retain Original Steering Wheel Control !
Factory OEM Fit, No modification is required !
Here is what a scan if the unit shows.
The one thing that is correct is it does use a decent midrange Qualcomm 665 SoC.

I do have an email sent to AutoTec regarding the issues. How they respond will determine if I keep it or not.
I do like it and it does all the other things they mention. Just don't appreciate being lied to about some of the core specs.

Last edited by rjinaz; 02-27-2023 at 09:38 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by rjinaz:
cekgsk (06-30-2023), Flamingtaco (02-27-2023), kobayashi maru (02-28-2023), Markcash1964 (07-22-2023), Ur Lzn (02-28-2023), [F2C]MaDMaXX (02-27-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-27-2023, 02:47 PM
Hacker

For those who don't want the virtual A/C controls on the screen.
Install Nova Launcher, or your favorite launcher to replace the default home screen. This eliminates the A/C controls.
They will show up when you use the Console app to access the SYNC 3 system and go away when you close it.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:01 PM
Hacker

So after a few emails and a phone call with AutoTec, the issue has been cleared up... for the most part.

The display is in fact a QHD display panel that has been downscaled via build.prop to allow the SYNC 3 window to be displayed and scaled correctly.
It's still a tad stretched. (See the image below)

Pic angle is weird, but the SYNC 3 window is a little taller than it should be by a few pixels.

Samsung does this with their panels on most of their phones and tablets. They default to FHD+ on most of their devices and then allow you to run QHD if you want to.
Of course they allow you to switch resolutions if you want to. This is how the achieve 120 Mhz refresh rates. Anyway...

When running at full 2k resolution, the SYNC 3 window would be scaled incorrectly as it has a resolution of 800x480 (actually 800x378 displayed).
They are doing a 33% upscale of the SYNC app window to 1200x720 to fit in the 1200x1920 resolution set on the panel.
At the full 1440x2096 resolution, the SYNC 3 window wouldn't scale correctly.

So there you have it.

Now back to me modding the hell out of the UI.
I still want to root it, but so far I'm having success without having to resort to that just yet.

The following 4 users liked this post by rjinaz:
Galaxywide (02-27-2023), JetFixxxer (02-28-2023), roxynoodle (02-28-2023), [F2C]MaDMaXX (02-27-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 03:17 PM

Received 235 Likes on 147 Posts

I've been following along over at the raptor forum. Glad there is a new thread started here. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one. There was discussion about the steering wheel controls not working properly. Seems that they control Sync behind the unit and unpairing the phone's bluetooth to the sync fixes that. I would also love if the dash graphic when the doors open and close looked more like our trucks.
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thre...d-128gb.95623/
Old 02-28-2023, 03:39 PM
Hacker

Originally Posted by 2016Limited
I've been following along over at the raptor forum. Glad there is a new thread started here. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one. There was discussion about the steering wheel controls not working properly. Seems that they control Sync behind the unit and unpairing the phone's bluetooth to the sync fixes that. I would also love if the dash graphic when the doors open and close looked more like our trucks.
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thre...d-128gb.95623/
I was actually reading through that thread last week.
I've never had issues with my SWC. I don't use Android Auto and only use CarPlay in wired mode. Wireless CarPlay on this unit is fine if you don't want to connect the unit to WiFi.
It still has some bugs on the hand off as well since wireless CarPlay basically wants priority over the system.

I prefer to use CarPlay contained within the original SYNC screen (Console) when I listen to music.
The only thing I wanted full screen out of CarPlay was for nav anyway, but now that I can use Google Maps in full screen natively, there is no need for me to have CarPlay run through the main unit.

The dash graphic does need help. Once I have time to dump the system partition, I will look through the built in apps and see if they can be safely tweaked.

Last edited by rjinaz; 02-28-2023 at 03:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
F150WiSH21 (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 05:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Came here from another forum because I'll be getting a tesla head unit soon but also looking for an Auto/PC solution. This sounds like the best way to go if you can jailbreak this head-unit.
Wouldn't be great if you could get a faster processor (3ghz) with more memory and install windows or Linux OS.. From there you can VM or remote launch Sync3 in a window?
Integration with existing steering-wheel control / programmable - A small trackpad located near your center pack and/or use to a small Bluetooth keyboard.
Keep existing all existing communication to Ford Pass Messenger center and "My Account" vehicles.
Using multiple browser windows or apps launched and/or running in background.. 1TB SDXC or M.2 SSD storage for all your media/camera sentry/driving videos - or streaming to cloud for remote access.
Secure Wifi remote access file sharing to your home network & 2 way paging alerts.
Old 02-28-2023, 05:05 PM

Received 235 Likes on 147 Posts

Nice. I'm also wanting to use CarPlay exclusively. It seems like the guys at the Raptor Forum are discussing Android Auto functionality more so glad to hear your feedback with the iPhone. Also, glad to hear someone is going to peel back the curtain and see if some of the apps and UI can be tweaked.
My truck is a 2016, pre-Ford hotspot. I also don't plan to pay for a data plan for the tablet and would like to use my iPhone as a hotspot. Have you done that yet and been successful with the native tablet Google Maps, or Waze for that matter? Again, thanks for your feedback.

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2023, 05:07 PM
Hacker

Originally Posted by F150WiSH21
Came here from another forum because I'll be getting a tesla head unit soon but also looking for an Auto/PC solution. This sounds like the best way to go if you can jailbreak this head-unit.
Wouldn't be great if you could get a faster processor (3ghz) with more memory and install windows or Linux OS.. From there you can VM or remote launch Sync3 in a window?
Integration with existing steering-wheel control / programmable - A small trackpad located near your center pack and/or use to a small Bluetooth keyboard.
Keep existing all existing communication to Ford Pass Messenger center and "My Account" vehicles.
Using multiple browser windows or apps launched and/or running in background.. 1TB SDXC or M.2 SSD storage for all your media/camera sentry/driving videos - or streaming to cloud for remote access.
Secure Wifi remote access file sharing to your home network & 2 way paging alerts.
LOL... that's a bit extreme.

This thing is basically a glorified mid-range Android tablet. Decent CPU/RAM/Storage combo.
It can most definitely be rooted. That part is easy. SELinux is in permissive mode, so you already have a foot in the door.
Old 02-28-2023, 05:11 PM
Hacker

Originally Posted by 2016Limited
Nice. I'm also wanting to use CarPlay exclusively. It seems like the guys at the Raptor Forum are discussing Android Auto functionality more so glad to hear your feedback with the iPhone. Also, glad to hear someone is going to peel back the curtain and see if some of the apps and UI can be tweaked.
My truck is a 2016, pre-Ford hotspot. I also don't plan to pay for a data plan for the tablet and would like to use my iPhone as a hotspot. Have you done that yet and been successful with the native tablet Google Maps, or Waze for that matter? Again, thanks for your feedback.
You can use your iPhone as a hotspot and connect this to the internet when needed.
It works that same as any other tablet.
If you just want this to run CarPlay, you're in luck. That's the one thing it does very well in wireless CarPlay mode. All your data needs come from your phone, so no need to worry about a hotspot.
You can also ignore a lot of the extra wiring by not installing any of the 4G cell antennas (there are 2) and the SIM reader.

And yes, all the native apps work fine via a hotspot. Again, it's just a data connection. it doesn't matter if it's from a home WiFi router, built-in hotspot, or from your phone.

Last edited by rjinaz; 02-28-2023 at 05:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rjinaz:
2016Limited (02-28-2023), roxynoodle (03-01-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 05:44 PM

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by rjinaz
I prefer to use CarPlay contained within the original SYNC screen (Console) when I listen to music.
Sorry not sure I understood the context of this statement. Are you saying this is an option or you would prefer if it behaved this way?
The following users liked this post:
White17XLT (07-08-2023)

Quick Reply: AutoTec 14.4" T-Style screen