Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amazon VS ETrailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 07:07 PM

Received 1,329 Likes on 797 Posts
Default Amazon VS ETrailer

So I'm building a custom receiver hitch and needed a part (receiver tube with forged collar). ETrailer offers free shipping with orders over $100, so I order a bunch of ETrack hooks and stuff I don't really need to get the single $15 part with free shipping.

Come to find out that not everything is in stock, but the one part I need is. ETrailer says they can't ship unless I break up the order and pay "expedited" shipping, and of course now the rest of the order will be under $100 and I'll lose the free shipping.

I give up. Amazon with free next day and the part costs $18, so works out cheaper than ETrailer with shipping and I'll have it tomorrow. Both the exact same Reese tube with forged collar.

Amazon rules and ETrailer loses...again. If these ecommerce companies don't get their act together they'll all be killed by Amazon.

Of course none of that settles the bigger question. How much weight on my own custom receiver either weight carrying or distributing before going to jail for not staying within the bounds of a non existent sticker? Only time will tell If I can withstand the wrath of the tow sticker police. Still trying to figure out my GVWR, GCWR, FAWR, RAWR, and tow rating on the car I built myself in my shop. It's an open question for any tow or payload police.

Last edited by mikeinatlanta; 06-17-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:59 PM
rodent aviator

Received 272 Likes on 145 Posts

It's not nice to taunt them like that.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:45 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I got my

On you

Always pays to shop around and compare not just prices on things, but shipping costs. I was looking for a lower valence for my truck, $80 part, $200 shipping. Say WHAT??!?!?!

Another member here pointed me to another Ford dealer, $75 part, $10 shipping!
The following 2 users liked this post by acdii:
13XLTEco (06-18-2019), chimmike (06-20-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 10:10 PM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

eTrailer still has a lot of stuff that can't be found on Amazon (like the better Optronic LED's), and they have free shipping days, and sales that Amazon does not have. Also, eTrailer is on Amazon, which pretty much guarantees they will stay in business. Businesses are adapting.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:35 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Flamingtaco
eTrailer still has a lot of stuff that can't be found on Amazon (like the better Optronic LED's), and they have free shipping days, and sales that Amazon does not have. Also, eTrailer is on Amazon, which pretty much guarantees they will stay in business. Businesses are adapting.
This is true. Companies are finding that it is better to join them than to compete with them. Still need to compare prices as some will up the Amazon price to compensate for loss of shipping charges. I found Glowforge is selling their middle grade laser engraver on Amazon now.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:30 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Amazon!

Etrailer won't get another dime from me when they wouldn't take back their defective receiver. Curt was equally as bad! Seems everything I got from them seemed generic with no packaging. Bare items in the box and bad after care support. Amazon has no questions asked returns. Never a problem with them
Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by waltheraustin
Amazon!

Etrailer won't get another dime from me when they wouldn't take back their defective receiver. Curt was equally as bad! Seems everything I got from them seemed generic with no packaging. Bare items in the box and bad after care support. Amazon has no questions asked returns. Never a problem with them
I did notice that the receiver tube ends from Reese are forged while Curt look like just another piece of larger diameter tube cut and welded on. The Reese looks much stronger.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:33 AM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta
I did notice that the receiver tube ends from Reese are forged while Curt look like just another piece of larger diameter tube cut and welded on. The Reese looks much stronger.
It has to be because my Curt reciever tubes cracked quickly on both I tried. 3rd one was drawtite, it hasn't so much a scratch after years of using.

Etrailer and Curt deserve each other's crappy products and crappy customer support. Match made in heaven if you ask me. I won't even give their website another hit.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:01 PM

Hitch finished. As the manufacturer I deem it as Class III weight carrying and Class IV weight distributing. Best in class for a sports coupe, just don't count the Nissan Leaf that will out tow it weight carrying.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:46 PM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Don't think you'll get one that tight from a mfg. I built a 2" for my Escape when the 1-1/4 proved to be not enough. Set the 2" so the bottom was level with the 1-1/4, so I got to cut that bumper twice. Was thin as hell, though, a utility knife did it easily enough.

Quick Reply: Amazon VS ETrailer