Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hybrid Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 11:43 AM

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Hybrid Raptor

When is Ford going to put the hybrid system on the Raptor?
Old 12-01-2022, 11:29 AM
EcoBoost lover

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by overpropped
When is Ford going to put the hybrid system on the Raptor?
Never. That time has passed. Next variant we'd be seeing is an all electric.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:31 AM

Received 615 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020FordRaptor
Never. That time has passed. Next variant we'd be seeing is an all electric.
agreed.

They aren't going to add more weight and stuff to fail in a truck intended to be beat on offroad
Old 12-01-2022, 04:54 PM

You guys are high as a kite if you think they are about to sell an electric Raptor. They would price themselves out of the market. Look at what a loaded up Lightning cost... Yea then add Raptor to that.

I'm not saying an electric Raptor won't happen. It just won't happen until

They get the prices down for it. Most people aren't paying 110k for an electric Raptor.

They get it to where you can throw and 80% charge on it in 10 min or less.

Has a legit range of 600 miles.

Most people aren't going to sit around for an hour or more waiting for their electric Raptor to charge.....
Old 12-01-2022, 06:39 PM
EcoBoost lover

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by overpropped
You guys are high as a kite if you think they are about to sell an electric Raptor. They would price themselves out of the market. Look at what a loaded up Lightning cost... Yea then add Raptor to that.

I'm not saying an electric Raptor won't happen. It just won't happen until

They get the prices down for it. Most people aren't paying 110k for an electric Raptor.

They get it to where you can throw and 80% charge on it in 10 min or less.

Has a legit range of 600 miles.

Most people aren't going to sit around for an hour or more waiting for their electric Raptor to charge.....
I'm not saying that I'd buy one or they're building one soon, I'm just saying a Hybrid Raptor isn't going to happen. An electric Raptor would happen before that.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by 2020FordRaptor
I'm not saying that I'd buy one or they're building one soon, I'm just saying a Hybrid Raptor isn't going to happen. An electric Raptor would happen before that.
I think Ford is missing the boat here. They should bolt that 94hp 215lb torque electric motor they use in the Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring car. Boom.
Old 12-24-2022, 01:28 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I think that the exuberance that we're seeing in the EV market is about to be tempered by experience. I think that BEV's have a place, but the enthusiasm about simply using them as a drop in replacement for ICE vehicles has two major problems. First, BEVs have very different strengths and weaknesses vs ICE vehicles. Second, internal combustion technology, particularly with regard to efficiency, has made massive strides. My Powerboost with tow mirrors and a big grill guard is CHEAPER PER MILE (this was JUST true at $3.50/gallon and is laughably moreso at $2.50/gallon) than a Lightning for most of my driving because I'm taking long trips and would be fast charging. The Powerboost is about 1.5 generations behind production ready tech, but the Lightning is basically maxed out already. The Lightning chassis with a 2 stroke compression ignition ICE generator is the best tech that we have right now, but the real promise comes from direct carbon fuel cells mated to thermoelectric generators on the exhaust (which is desirable because the whole system has a blower for air and is otherwise solid state).

BEVs have value, and I'm in the process of building a battery powered fully electric travel trailer, but it would be bonkers to do so if I didn't have a Powerboost and plan to include a woodstove in the trailer. For vehicles around cities (which represent a huge fraction of driving miles), BEVs that you charge from your own solar panels are absolutely amazing. A battery powered tractor is also virtually unbeatable if the battery lasts long enough (which new breakthroughs at MIT regarding anti-dendrite chemistry are likely to help with). We're headed toward a world wherein farmers go to bed at dawn and wake up at dusk to use the tractor batteries that charged during the day (cheap, ubiquitous thermal imaging makes the visibility a non-issue). But our current fetish with BEVs is pushing them into roles that they aren't well suited for due to basic physical and chemical constraints, and my fear is that it will leave a bad taste in the mouths of consumers. 2 stroke compression engines should have been the norm for 50 years, but aren't due to consumer understanding of what a 2 stroke actually is based upon the sliver that they were exposed to. BEVs are very much at risk of the same fate.
The following users liked this post:
Dulla (12-24-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 02:48 PM
in the house

Received 1,340 Likes on 777 Posts

I posted an article earlier detailing how Ford has got itself in a jam that the CEO has admitted will take years to fix, and one of the primary issues is the cost to produce EVs, and how Ford just constantly misses the estimates AND performance to target. Ford stock has plummeted 41% and the shareholders are furious. Add in the fact that Ford quality, once a bastion of the company, remember the 'At Ford, Quality is Job 1' slogan?...has slipped and allowed consumers to view Ford in a very unfavorable light...and you'll understand that from now on there will be extraordinary caution taken when making decisions on EV production.

Finally, most see the Raptor as a hairy-chested, winner-take-all, in-your-face nose thumb to the current trend of eco-friendly vehicles, and THAT appeal alone will likely mean NEVER is when the Raptor will be electric.

Quick Reply: Hybrid Raptor