Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does Raptor ride on road?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 08:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How does Raptor ride on road?

Hello, all. As I'm finding out, it's hard to get my hands on a Raptor. I was wondering if you all could help me out? I have a '15 Platinum but am unhappy with the jarring and bumpy ride when driving on some PA back roads. Over highway or most roads, the ride is great. But in the city at slower speeds 20-25 mph or more so on out-of-city roads going about 45 mph, the bumps are hard and jarring. This could be fixed if they fixed the roads but don't see that happening anytime soon...

So, could you please explain the on street ride of your Raptors in similar and other road conditions? Do you think the Raptor would ride better than the Platinum in those conditions?

Thnx!
Old 04-14-2017, 09:25 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by grimloktt
Hello, all. As I'm finding out, it's hard to get my hands on a Raptor. I was wondering if you all could help me out? I have a '15 Platinum but am unhappy with the jarring and bumpy ride when driving on some PA back roads. Over highway or most roads, the ride is great. But in the city at slower speeds 20-25 mph or more so on out-of-city roads going about 45 mph, the bumps are hard and jarring. This could be fixed if they fixed the roads but don't see that happening anytime soon...

So, could you please explain the on street ride of your Raptors in similar and other road conditions? Do you think the Raptor would ride better than the Platinum in those conditions?

Thnx!
I've never driven a platinum. But I've had a 06, 10, 11, 14 fx4s, a 15 xlt, and a 14 and a 17 raptor.

I can't say for sure that it will ride better, but mine doesn't ride any worse. The 17 doesn't seem as "floaty" as the 14 did.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 17 Raptor rides much better than my 07 F150 Lariat. Still a truck at the end of the day but it rides (and handles) nice I think.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very smooth - the big tires are very forgiving
Old 04-18-2017, 10:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My raptor rides much nicer than my 2015 lariat. I still haven't let air out of my tires from the 50psi it came with. I imagine it will improve considerably when I take the air down to 36 psi.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 104 Likes on 54 Posts

I traded a 15 platinum on a 17 raptor...my only regret is not doing it sooner. It's a night and day diff - much smoother!
Old 04-21-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking forward to ordering mine when one of two dealers allotment become available. They promised sticker pricing. Really like my 15 Lariat but would enjoy the softer ride and the ability to not have to cringe when needing to drive it like a truck !.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is NIGHT & DAY different from the '14 King Ranch I had (but that's not a '15 Platinum). There's some terrible streets where I live and I'm still actively looking for rough roads to drive over its so fun.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had an opportunity to test drive one today! Yay!

I drove it through the small city, down a country road w/ some bumps and down the highway a bit. It's floatier than the Platinum but not as composed. I liked the way it drove but the engine sound (not sure if real or from speakers) was obnoxious.

In the end, I think--at least for me--it's not nice enough to lose out on a trade... I'm not even sure it's worth the price difference if buying w/o trade in--with my salesman saying he's not sure be he believes it's a $5K markup; maybe if buying around sticker.

Anyways, thnx for everyone's inputs! They were greatly appreciated!!!
Old 06-07-2017, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Raptor is my first truck - I bought it without even test driving it so had some slight concerns about ride quality and road noise.

First trip was driving it back from St Louis to Atlanta and it was a night and day improvement in comfort over the brand new Mazda sedan I drove down in (thanks Avis).

My commute covers some broken up roads, it soaks everything up without being floaty or walling too much. I just had 1.5" RPG spring perch collars installed and that sharpened up the front end with no difference to ride comfort. Its actually eliminated the one thing I found fault with which was the dive under braking.

I had them installed by Southern Offroad Georgia who told me that this kit on this truck is the best they have come across in terms of improvement / value - all they did for me was install and alignment so it was honest feedback, not sales patois.