Front End Grinding Noise - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Grinding Noise

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2017, 06:37 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RedX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mulberry, IN
Posts: 511
Thanked 148 Times in 102 Posts
Default Front End Grinding Noise

Anybody else experiencing a grinding noise coming from the front? It appears to be as if the front end drive system is trying to engage. It only does it occasionally, so when I took it to the dealer, it would not do it. Most of the time it happens when you are starting to take off, but it will do it at say 50-60 mph too. They greased the front end and changed a sensor, but it is still doing it. I read on the other Raptor Forum that a few others are having the same issue. One dealer changed an actuator..... Not sure if that's the same thing as the sensor they changed on mine or not. I am going to head back in to talk to the tech about it. I wondered if anyone on this forum is having the same issue. I would be shocked if they aren't.
RedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 114
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

There is a one way vacuum valve (IWE) that engages the 4wd. Yours likely has failed. well known problem with all F150's.
Silver-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver-Bolt For This Useful Post:
RedX (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 897
Thanked 154 Times in 113 Posts
Default

4js8wh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
2017 Ford Raptor
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Raptor Rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedX View Post
Anybody else experiencing a grinding noise coming from the front? It appears to be as if the front end drive system is trying to engage. It only does it occasionally, so when I took it to the dealer, it would not do it. Most of the time it happens when you are starting to take off, but it will do it at say 50-60 mph too. They greased the front end and changed a sensor, but it is still doing it. I read on the other Raptor Forum that a few others are having the same issue. One dealer changed an actuator..... Not sure if that's the same thing as the sensor they changed on mine or not. I am going to head back in to talk to the tech about it. I wondered if anyone on this forum is having the same issue. I would be shocked if they aren't.
I'm experiencing the same thing except I haven't yet noticed it at high speeds. It makes that rattle noise almost every morning when easing out onto the street (smooth road). During light acceleration from 10-20 MPH it rattles for a few seconds and stops. I'm going to try to replicate the issue on camera because I know it won't do it for the service technician.

2017 Raptor SCrew
kanaweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RedX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mulberry, IN
Posts: 511
Thanked 148 Times in 102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4js8wh View Post
May be the same issue, but it does not sound like a rattle can!
RedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:39 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 105
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I also am experiencing the same problem. When I first start out only in the morning, leaving the house about a half a mile into my drive I hear a grinding sound for a few seconds? Goes away and that's it, driving me crazy.
I know if I leave it with the dealer they will never hear it.
hockeydad20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hockeydad20 For This Useful Post:
kanaweli (09-13-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 114
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydad20 View Post
I also am experiencing the same problem. When I first start out only in the morning, leaving the house about a half a mile into my drive I hear a grinding sound for a few seconds? Goes away and that's it, driving me crazy.
I know if I leave it with the dealer they will never hear it.
The part that fails is like $9. Over on the FRF the people that have had the issue just bought a few extras. The job to replace it is under 1 minute. I know it's under warranty but the dealer will likely run you around and give you "unable to duplicate" response.
Silver-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 105
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
The part that fails is like $9. Over on the FRF the people that have had the issue just bought a few extras. The job to replace it is under 1 minute. I know it's under warranty but the dealer will likely run you around and give you "unable to duplicate" response.
Can you direct me to the post your referring too?
Part that needs replacing and how to change it.
hockeydad20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RedX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mulberry, IN
Posts: 511
Thanked 148 Times in 102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
The part that fails is like $9. Over on the FRF the people that have had the issue just bought a few extras. The job to replace it is under 1 minute. I know it's under warranty but the dealer will likely run you around and give you "unable to duplicate" response.
More info please.....
RedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 114
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Silver-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 2017 F150Forum.com We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: