Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Grinding Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 169 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Front End Grinding Noise

Anybody else experiencing a grinding noise coming from the front? It appears to be as if the front end drive system is trying to engage. It only does it occasionally, so when I took it to the dealer, it would not do it. Most of the time it happens when you are starting to take off, but it will do it at say 50-60 mph too. They greased the front end and changed a sensor, but it is still doing it. I read on the other Raptor Forum that a few others are having the same issue. One dealer changed an actuator..... Not sure if that's the same thing as the sensor they changed on mine or not. I am going to head back in to talk to the tech about it. I wondered if anyone on this forum is having the same issue. I would be shocked if they aren't.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

There is a one way vacuum valve (IWE) that engages the 4wd. Yours likely has failed. well known problem with all F150's.
The following users liked this post:
RedX (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 08:47 PM

Received 170 Likes on 122 Posts

Like this?

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/...-wanted-54408/
Old 08-31-2017, 09:54 AM
2017 Ford Raptor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Raptor Rattle

Originally Posted by RedX
Anybody else experiencing a grinding noise coming from the front? It appears to be as if the front end drive system is trying to engage. It only does it occasionally, so when I took it to the dealer, it would not do it. Most of the time it happens when you are starting to take off, but it will do it at say 50-60 mph too. They greased the front end and changed a sensor, but it is still doing it. I read on the other Raptor Forum that a few others are having the same issue. One dealer changed an actuator..... Not sure if that's the same thing as the sensor they changed on mine or not. I am going to head back in to talk to the tech about it. I wondered if anyone on this forum is having the same issue. I would be shocked if they aren't.
I'm experiencing the same thing except I haven't yet noticed it at high speeds. It makes that rattle noise almost every morning when easing out onto the street (smooth road). During light acceleration from 10-20 MPH it rattles for a few seconds and stops. I'm going to try to replicate the issue on camera because I know it won't do it for the service technician.

2017 Raptor SCrew
Old 08-31-2017, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by 4js8wh
May be the same issue, but it does not sound like a rattle can!
Old 09-02-2017, 04:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I also am experiencing the same problem. When I first start out only in the morning, leaving the house about a half a mile into my drive I hear a grinding sound for a few seconds? Goes away and that's it, driving me crazy.
I know if I leave it with the dealer they will never hear it.
The following users liked this post:
kanaweli (09-13-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by hockeydad20
I also am experiencing the same problem. When I first start out only in the morning, leaving the house about a half a mile into my drive I hear a grinding sound for a few seconds? Goes away and that's it, driving me crazy.
I know if I leave it with the dealer they will never hear it.
The part that fails is like $9. Over on the FRF the people that have had the issue just bought a few extras. The job to replace it is under 1 minute. I know it's under warranty but the dealer will likely run you around and give you "unable to duplicate" response.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt
The part that fails is like $9. Over on the FRF the people that have had the issue just bought a few extras. The job to replace it is under 1 minute. I know it's under warranty but the dealer will likely run you around and give you "unable to duplicate" response.
Can you direct me to the post your referring too?
Part that needs replacing and how to change it.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt
More info please.....
Old 09-06-2017, 02:54 PM

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f262/...e-issue-57005/