Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Worn Torsion Bars??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Cockpit Magician

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Worn Torsion Bars??

I have cranked my Torsion Keys up as far as I can but still cannot get more than 1 inch out of both sides before the bolts hit the stops. I was thinking of getting the readylift torsion key set to help bring my truck up to level with the rear (24 1/4) but then I started hearing from folks that my torsion bars might be shot because I can't get any lift out of em. So, my question to yall is, will I get that extra lift to level my truck from the aftermarket keys since my stock ones wont turn anymore? Should I/Can I replace my torsion bars? Or am I just stuck with a truck that won't level? haha.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If u do remove them be very carefull they can unload all at once and break your arm
Old 03-08-2012, 11:38 AM
A7X

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

You could get the keys (Ebay for $40.00, suspension maxx) and that would allow you to bring the truck up level but torsion bars are only gonna settle and twist so much until they reach their tensile strength...

They have been known to snap from 97-98... Replacing the bars is not fun in heavily salted areas... Spray for a week and a large air hammer will most likely be needed to remove them from the lower control arms... I've smashed them with an 8lb sledge for an hour to no avail before haha...

I would go with new bars, although putting keys on the bars you have isn't really gonna add much more stress to them but if they're that far gone, maybe it's time to replace em....
Old 03-08-2012, 12:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Do your self a favor and get new t-bars. There only about 120 from Ford and they will install them for around 200. From the experience I had it was well worth it.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Cockpit Magician

Thanks for the advice. Is there a way to inspect the bars to determine whether they need replacing? If I head into the dealership, they SHOULD know what I mean when I ask to get my torsion bars replaced?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

To my knowledge there is no real way to see if your t-bars need to be replaced. I suppose it all depends on the mileage and how the truck has been driven. If there's over 130000 on the truck I would suggest getting them done only because that's when my passenger side let go. Trust me its not something you want to snap when doing 65 on the high way. My front tire was tucked under the fender. Not a pretty sight... oh and if you go into the dealership and ask if they will replace your t-bars and they look at you with some stupid look walk the hell out and try a different dealership.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Cockpit Magician

Originally Posted by rynbrdnr
To my knowledge there is no real way to see if your t-bars need to be replaced. I suppose it all depends on the mileage and how the truck has been driven. If there's over 130000 on the truck I would suggest getting them done only because that's when my passenger side let go. Trust me its not something you want to snap when doing 65 on the high way. My front tire was tucked under the fender. Not a pretty sight... oh and if you go into the dealership and ask if they will replace your t-bars and they look at you with some stupid look walk the hell out and try a different dealership.
hahaha. will do.

Quick Reply: Worn Torsion Bars??