Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Transmission Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 1,353 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Default Transmission Troubles

Well I need some real help here guys.

I was on my way home from work and my torque converter would try and lock but as soon as I pressed the gas, even just a little, my rpms would go up.

I started monitoring my gears and Im pretty sure I am slipping in 4th. My trans temp went up to 200 so I locked it in third and the trans dropped back down and drove the rest of the way just fine.

I am not getting any codes and no flashing o/d lights.

Is my trans fried? Is my TC done and just locking and unlocking?
Old 10-01-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

First check your fluid. I know you most likley did that already, but check @ operating temp after driving at least ten miles.

How you do that. Once you arrive in your driveway after driving for awhile, go slowly thru every gear with foot on the brake, pausing in each gear as you go. I just bring the selector down then go up until in park slowly.

Do ALL this with the vehicle running, now check your hot level on the stick. That's as accurate as you can get, don't trust a cold check.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
First check your fluid. I know you most likley did that already, but check @ operating temp after driving at least ten miles.

How you do that. Once you arrive in your driveway after driving for awhile, go slowly thru every gear with foot on the brake, pausing in each gear as you go. I just bring the selector down then go up until in park slowly.

Do ALL this with the vehicle running, now check your hot level on the stick. That's as accurate as you can get, don't trust a cold check.
I did check it and it is a little into the "do not add" section but not by much. I went to drive it again just to see if it was a fluke... It wasnt.

Its not my torque converter locking and unlocking. It is indeed slipping in 4th.

I am going to drain some off the top and try it again. If that doesnt stop it then I will be breaking a trans commandment and adding some lucas to it to get me by until I can decide what to do.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:11 PM

Drained a quart out. Fluid is still clean and isnt burnt so yep. Onto trying the Lucas Stop-Slip. Ill keep updating as I know more.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:14 PM

Probably the OD band then. Since the weather has become a little chilly I've been noticing mine slipping out of OD into 3rd, but yea, not slipping slipping lol.
However mine slipped in every gear at one time. That was before adding the shift kit many many miles ago.

I wouldn't try Lucas anything. Seems like they're still a generation behind IMO. You can research that if you want, but it seams to be the way it was or use to be which made there products dangerous for this gen.

What I would try, = Friction Modifier. The stuff you use in the rear end...that stuff works in the trans as well and won't hurt a thing. If you have some on the shelf.....good stuff for the trans . I've had to give mine a c0cktail or two in the past lol.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by jprevat
Drained a quart out. Fluid is still clean and isnt burnt so yep. Onto trying the Lucas Stop-Slip. Ill keep updating as I know more.
The fluid has to be like new pink, no contamination or it is trash. Easy to test that on the stick.

At least see if that Lucas has modifier in it. Friction modifier. It might be.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:23 PM

Probably the OD band then. Since the weather has become a little chilly I've been noticing mine slipping out of OD into 3rd, but yea, not slipping slipping lol.
However mine slipped in every gear at one time. That was before adding the shift kit many many miles ago.

I wouldn't try Lucas anything. Seems like they're still a generation behind IMO. You can research that if you want, but it seams to be the way it was or use to be which made there products dangerous for this gen.

What I would try, = Friction Modifier. The stuff you use in the rear end...that stuff works in the trans as well and won't hurt a thing. If you have some on the shelf.....good stuff for the trans . I've had to give mine a c0cktail or two in the past lol.
Will do. Thanks for the heads up. I found some transmissions close to me for around $700.

Do you think a shift kit would be worth trying before pulling and replacing the trans?
Old 10-01-2015, 07:25 PM

The fluid has to be like new pink, no contamination or it is trash. Easy to test that on the stick.

At least see if that Lucas has modifier in it. Friction modifier. It might be.
It is clean. I just changed it all out a pan at a time over three weeks, one pan a week.

The Lucas does have friction modifier in it. Thats why I was leaning that way in the beginning.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by jprevat
Will do. Thanks for the heads up. I found some transmissions close to me for around $700.

Do you think a shift kit would be worth trying before pulling and replacing the trans?
When I thought I needed one, I could find one under 800 lol. So 700 isn't that bad.

It was for me, - actually Mike Troyer talked me into it way back when and the trans is alright. I think I need new plugs is all. I've put more than a 140,000 on this trans since the shift kit. Same Amsoil Fluid in her , look new at 140,000 miles (that stuffs the best hands down.) Total 339,000 miles on this trans.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:54 PM

When I thought I needed one, I could find one under 800 lol. So 700 isn't that bad.

It was for me, - actually Mike Troyer talked me into it way back when and the trans is alright. I think I need new plugs is all. I've put more than a 140,000 on this trans since the shift kit. Same Amsoil Fluid in her , look new at 140,000 miles (that stuffs the best hands down.) Total 339,000 miles on this trans.
I am seriously thinking that if I can get this to agree here in the next little bit then I will just pick up a sub 90k mile trans and not look back.

I just dont understand the mechanics of how a shift kit can take up the slack of a worn out od band so that kind of scares me. lol

What kit did you go with? Even if I dont put a kit in this trans I may put one in the donor.

Quick Reply: Transmission Troubles