Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny issue

So it was really cold the other week like in the teens an I was in a rush for work so I didn't give my truck any warm up time just hoped on in an went down the road. Going thru the neighborhood it shifted from 1st to 2nd an then into 3rd an then I had let off the throttle a tad bit an it slipped into neutral. I naturally kinda freaked an thought I had done something wrong. Since then I have tried to Always let it warm up before leaving but I have had it happen to me a few times since then an only on really cold days like teens an low twenties is when it will occur. But what confuses me is that there is no grinding of any kind just like I slipped it into neutral an back into gear. My cousin seems to think it is just a cold shift solenoid ? Any other input would be well received thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Tranny issue-image-4079413791.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 AM

if it was just tht one time, dont worry about it. if it keeps doing it, then it's an issue. but as u say u didnt let it warm up first and it had a hiccup, but when u let it warm up u have no problems. just ride it out til it becomes a normal thing. cant really get a good diagnosis if it only happned tht once.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 PM

Ya only thing is though this also happened to me this morning. So if it's just a bad shift solenoid how hard are those to replace
Old 01-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Aerospace Engineer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Shift solenoids are built into the valve body. You would have to drop the pan, filter, and valve body to replace them on the bench. Valve body is held on by about 15 bolts and lord love you if you drop a check ball.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:18 PM

for real. +1,000,000 on tht. it's not hard persay, just time consuming and annoying. hate working with small parts.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:35 PM

Ya an I have no garage to do it in so needless to say itd be a driveway project an small parts are hard enough to find on a garage floor I could just se myself tryin to find them in a gravel driveway. Any chance its like a clogged filter ?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Aerospace Engineer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Probably not. Clogged filter means no pressure at all, means no gear selection at all. Usually, one part of the trans goes boom and then the debris clog the filter.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:14 AM

Well just wanted to give an update to those that had read this an gave me any advice. After a very nervous trip to the transmission shop it was determined that the seal on the transfer case input shaft is starting to go bad causing my tranny to lose fluid causing it to act the way it did only when it was cold. Turns out I was 2 quarts low in the tranny. Also other good news is that this is a repair that looks to be fairly simple so me my cousin an uncle are going to tackle the problem very soon especially since the part is only $30 an the quote was over $500 thanks to all who gave any input
Old 02-01-2014, 12:25 PM
SCrewFan01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm faced with the same job on my '01 F150 Supercrew. Just curious how your job turned out. Were you able to do this with the transfer case under the vehicle (and not have to remove torsion bars)? Other posts have indicated t-case can be maneuvered just enough for the job, but it is tight. I'm assuming both the trans seal and the transfer case input seal can be replaced with no disassembly of the t-case or trans? Just want to know what I'm getting into. Anyone with knowledge of this please reply.

Quick Reply: Tranny issue