Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Potential Transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Potential Transmission issues?

Guys/Gals.

Currently having what I believe to be transmission issues.

Quick history lesson: Bought the truck for the original owner. He had a whole booklet of service records. Truck appeared to be well maintained. 2000 5.4 XLT - 142k miles. Zero issue up until now.

As mentioned I just bought this truck about a month ago and its had zero issues. Yesterday I fixed my Odometer by re-soldering the connections. Turned out great. No more flickering OD.

Took the truck for a drive and was coming down the off ramp and "clunk!" the whole truck jerked forward. Ever since then things haven't been good.

-Truck doesnt coast. Upon letting off the throttle the truck acts like its in low. This is usually followed by another "clunk".
-"clunk" happens only when decelerating.
-Acceleration shifting is smooth with no issue.
-Randomly everything is fine and it shifts and drives normal.

Could it be that disconnecting battery made the truck relearn the shifts or something?
Transmission fluid level is fine. It looks slightly orange? Might just be the white dipstick, cannot confirm this.
U joints?

Any help would great.

Last edited by Skunkbuttrug; 08-22-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 6,466 Likes on 4,604 Posts

I'd start by disconnecting your battery again and cleaning the posts and terminals really well. I've experienced some weird shifts before due to a weak connection.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by white89gt
I'd start by disconnecting your battery again and cleaning the posts and terminals really well. I've experienced some weird shifts before due to a weak connection.
Interesting. Seems unlikely but totally worth a shot.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:55 AM

Received 486 Likes on 273 Posts

What you are describing sounds like the issue i had with our 07 grand cherokee- took it to dealer- did a diagnose and reflashed the controller-that fixed the problem-but the? for me was what caused it in the first place?- i never did find out.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:35 PM

Truck rode perfect on the way home from work but on the way to work this morning I thought the truck was going to break in two. Weird!
Anyone else have any ideas?

4x4 stuck on?
Electronic Gremlins?
Found on roadside dead?
Old 08-24-2016, 01:19 PM

Broke down and took it to the dealer.
No issues found. Been driving perfect ever since that day.
I will chalk it up to fluke deal and move on I guess.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scheduled for 9 Apr 0920. Maintenance scheduler affirmed that they had fixed a few. He asked if I was a McLarty Ford customer, if I bought my truck there. I replied that it was used and that I bought it in Tyler, TX. I then offered that my wife bought her 08 F-150 there. They had her in the data base, so he added her name to the work order.The tone of the phone conversation seemed to be more welcoming after that. I understand that they prioritize their customer base, However, taking care of a Ford owner outside of that base is engaging a potential future customer. Mine is a used 13, purchased for $13K 2 years ago. It had 97K miles and was a fleet model. I had the transmission reworked at a local and reputable shop in Tyler. It now has 124K trouble free miles.

Last edited by majoday; 03-15-2019 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Wrong forum
Old 03-15-2019, 10:23 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by majoday
Scheduled for 9 Apr 0920. Maintenance scheduler affirmed that they had fixed a few. He asked if I was a McLarty Ford customer, if I bought my truck there. I replied that it was used and that I bought it in Tyler, TX. I then offered that my wife bought her 08 F-150 there. They had her in the data base, so he added her name to the work order.The tone of the phone conversation seemed to be more welcoming after that. I understand that they prioritize their customer base, However, taking care of a Ford owner outside of that base is engaging a potential future customer. Mine is a used 13, purchased for $13K 2 years ago. It had 97K miles and was a fleet model. I had the transmission reworked at a local and reputable shop in Tyler. It now has 124K trouble free miles.
Think you posted in the wrong thread there bud
The following users liked this post:
majoday (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Oops!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:46 PM
LWJ

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Skunkbuttrug
Guys/Gals.

Currently having what I believe to be transmission issues.

Quick history lesson: Bought the truck for the original owner. He had a whole booklet of service records. Truck appeared to be well maintained. 2000 5.4 XLT - 142k miles. Zero issue up until now.

As mentioned I just bought this truck about a month ago and its had zero issues. Yesterday I fixed my Odometer by re-soldering the connections. Turned out great. No more flickering OD.

Took the truck for a drive and was coming down the off ramp and "clunk!" the whole truck jerked forward. Ever since then things haven't been good.

-Truck doesnt coast. Upon letting off the throttle the truck acts like its in low. This is usually followed by another "clunk".
-"clunk" happens only when decelerating.
-Acceleration shifting is smooth with no issue.
-Randomly everything is fine and it shifts and drives normal.

Could it be that disconnecting battery made the truck relearn the shifts or something?
Transmission fluid level is fine. It looks slightly orange? Might just be the white dipstick, cannot confirm this.
U joints?

Any help would great.
My transmission does the same thing for about 25 to 30 miles( sometimes longer) after a battery disconnect. It was a little unnerving after it happened the first time. It has done it every time after a battery disconnect but I always figured it was the computer relearning my driving habits. But my guess after driving the truck for 18 years is that it might have more to do with the torque converter then the transmission. But I could be wrong.

Last edited by LWJ; 03-15-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Potential Transmission issues?