Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Oil/coolant help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 03:09 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Default Oil/coolant help!

2,000miles since my last oil change and I'm already down a quart of oil... No leaks and exhaust is clear... Any ideas where it's going?

Also have a very slight head gasket leak (I believe because it's been missing (only on start up) on cylinder 4 forever and milky substance on oil lid but oil is still free from coolant. Also just noticed last night ive got a pretty steady drip of coolant coming from what looks like behind the main pulley.

Main issue is where did my quart of oil go in 2000 miles!?
Old 03-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,124 Likes on 2,830 Posts

5.4s are known for leaking oil from that spot IIRC, could be a bad PCV valve or rings slowly starting to give...my old honda used a quart every thousand...never smoked
Old 03-08-2015, 03:28 PM

My problem is I don't know where the oil is leaking from if it's leaking at all!? The only leak I can see is the antifreeze
Old 03-08-2015, 07:38 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Coolant leak on the front of the engine is probably a water pump. As far as oil if it is not leaking, then it could be blowby, or being sucked out of the valve covers from the PCV valve.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Carcrazygts2
Coolant leak on the front of the engine is probably a water pump. As far as oil if it is not leaking, then it could be blowby, or being sucked out of the valve covers from the PCV valve.
so I have antifreeze coming from the water pump? (Confused?) it's definitely antifreeze and the water pump (which I believe is on the drivers side?) is completely dry all around it
Old 03-08-2015, 08:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

older engine with higher mileage will burn oil and if you burn a quart every 2000 miles thats perfectly normal. for your tiny head gasket leak i kinda had a similar issue only had a miss at start up. to know forsure if its coolant getting in the combustion chamber next time after a trip when u shut down the truck slowly open your coolant pressure cap. but be very careful coolant is hot and will want to spray out. open it slowly and using a rag and slowly release pressure. doing this will obviously release all the pressure in the coolant system and wont go into the combustion chamber. so say you start the truck the next morning if indeed is a slow head gasket leak you wont have a missfire. i had same issue and i added a bottle of bars head gasket leak stop. if you cant afford have it fixed the right way but im tight on money and i wouldnt want to spend money on a motor with 170k. but it fixed my issue has been 8 months since runs good and strong. but if u do use it be warned it can clog heater cores.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by PIMPIN F150
older engine with higher mileage will burn oil and if you burn a quart every 2000 miles thats perfectly normal. for your tiny head gasket leak i kinda had a similar issue only had a miss at start up. to know forsure if its coolant getting in the combustion chamber next time after a trip when u shut down the truck slowly open your coolant pressure cap. but be very careful coolant is hot and will want to spray out. open it slowly and using a rag and slowly release pressure. doing this will obviously release all the pressure in the coolant system and wont go into the combustion chamber. so say you start the truck the next morning if indeed is a slow head gasket leak you wont have a missfire. i had same issue and i added a bottle of bars head gasket leak stop. if you cant afford have it fixed the right way but im tight on money and i wouldnt want to spend money on a motor with 170k. but it fixed my issue has been 8 months since runs good and strong. but if u do use it be warned it can clog heater cores.
yeah I've added that stuff, used the carbon fiber additive one... Still have the slight misfire at startup and I've been praying I don't lose my heater core from it lol. I'll try releasing the pressure every night and see if I get it to come back. And yeah I know old engines can burn oil but I've only got 138xxx miles... Dang
Old 03-08-2015, 09:22 PM

For one I would never add a cooling system bandaid. Because if a headgasket does eventually lets loose and coolant gets in the engine you now are replacing a engine instead of just a blown headgasket. Pictures are really need to see where the coolant leak really is. Most of the time if its leaking on the driverside it is the oil filter adapter which has cooling running thru it. The milky substance on the bottom of the cap is due to not driving the truck long enough in cold weather.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Carcrazygts2
For one I would never add a cooling system bandaid. Because if a headgasket does eventually lets loose and coolant gets in the engine you now are replacing a engine instead of just a blown headgasket. Pictures are really need to see where the coolant leak really is. Most of the time if its leaking on the driverside it is the oil filter adapter which has cooling running thru it. The milky substance on the bottom of the cap is due to not driving the truck long enough in cold weather.
I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. The drivers side is dry, I can only see it leaking below the main pulley on the engine and its dripping onto the oil pan and steering arm linkage. Above the pulley everything is completely dry, the drivers side is dry too. Yeah I know the band aid wasn't a great idea but it's where I ended up at the time... Wish I had time to do the fix myself but the job pulls me away from home way too often
Old 03-09-2015, 12:58 AM

Check the weep hole on the water pump. If the water pump seal has gone bad it will leak out the weep hole. It thenow will run down the front cover of the engine and get on steering components. The water pump is right in the middle of the engine. It is what the cooling fan is bolted to.

Quick Reply: Oil/coolant help!