Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

map lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default map lights

Ok I have looked for a thread on this with no avail, both my map lights ar not working I checked the bulbs with an ohm meter and they are ok. there is a 3 pin plug going to the light, i assume 1 pin is ground, 1 center dome light (powered when doors open) 1 pin for map light. this pin should be live all the time. correct me if this is wrong. where is the fuse for map lights ???

Also I found my DRL do not work are they related??? again I have checked all fuses and relays

thanks
Biig

Last edited by biigtiitan; 10-18-2009 at 03:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Capthb (01-08-2021)
Old 10-18-2009, 11:15 PM
I Missed Page 47!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope someone replies to this, the only light in my truck in that housing that works is the center dome light.. Both map lights are out and have brand new bulbs in them..
Old 11-09-2009, 10:33 PM

I am guessing that the driver side door switch and the map lights are somehow connected since I have the same issue on my 93. At one point the problem went away but has returned.

Last time I was in the process of checking the fuses when the problem vanished. I've checked the fuses and all seem to be fine.

I have yet to do much else in the way of investigating. Like testing the driver side door switch.

One kind of strange item on mine. The buzzer works for the driver door if I turn on the done light either by turning the head light switch to turn on the done or I have open the passenger door. Also one of the map lights will briefly come on but fades out if I turn it on while the dome light is on.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello, I just started rebuilding my 2002 Ford F150 after it has been sitting for almost a year. But I notice you are having the same problem my truck is. The map lights / hood light and glove box lights do not turn on. The only light that comes on is the center dome light when I open the door. I pulled out each fuse 1 by 1 and they are good. I checked for bad connections and checked the bulbs. The only thing I can think of is the relays. It passes thru the battery saver relay, a lamp relay and something called the GEM (I cannot remember the whole name, book is at home). Have you guys sloved this probelm on you're trucks yet? I will sure post up any updates I have regarding this probelm.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:03 PM

My map lights are still not working, does any one have a wire schematic of the map light power distrubution???
Old 11-12-2009, 09:12 PM

I do, I will scan it and post it when I make it to work tomorrow morning.
Does you're hood light work when you lift the hood? or does you're glove box lights work? All 3 of these are tied together. I will post agian around 8am central time with the wire schematic.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 AM

Hey, not sure about hood light but glove box light does work ! I couldnt find you wire schematic ???
Old 12-12-2009, 12:55 PM
I Missed Page 47!

I'm having a similar problem. The center bulb comes on when I open the door(s) but the switches for the map lights will not work. I have brand new bulbs in them and none of the other lights in the truck are inoperable. I also had one blown fuse from something radio-related when I put my newest head unit in my truck but I'm 100% sure it was related to that, and the fuse has been replaced.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:32 PM

I completly forgot about getting the wire schematic. I kinda put my truck off to the side as I have been having problems with my wife's car. I will try and post them up tomorrow. My guess is that one of the relay is bad. I was trying to bypass the relay but kept blowing fuses when trying to.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:30 PM

Hey I got the same problem with my 2001 F150. Map lights glove box and the lights in the visors all don't work but the dome light does when you open the door. Have checked all the fuses and none are blown. On the 01 fuse #14 operates the interior lights. Relay #1 also is for the interior lights. I haven't checked the relay yet(not sure how...lol). anyways I have checked the bulbs and they are all good, they just don't light up.

Quick Reply: map lights