Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2001 5.4L Triton - no crank, no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 5.4L Triton - no crank, no start

Hi all,

I recently drove my truck down the street to the store. After shopping and leaving, it wouldn't start.
I filmed the behavior in the engine, both while trying to turn the key and when jumping the firewall solenoid:

About a year ago I replaced the spark plugs/coil packs. I also got a new battery and installed a new starter motor since this no-start issue.... still not cranking.

Any tips much appreciated!
Old 03-04-2022, 09:07 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Looks kind of like your engine is locked up. It moves a little bit, watching the fan blades, so it would have to be something like hydro-locked cylinders.

OR, it's just a really weak starter or battery. Enough juice to engage the starter but not enough to turn the engine over.

The fact that the engine starts to turn is a sign that the starting components are working correctly. The ignition switch and solenoid and wiring to the starter. Of course, there is always the dirty battery connections. They can do odd things. Make sure that they're clean and tight first.

Seems like it's either battery, starter, or engine locked up. First, clean the battery terminals and connections. Then put a wrench on the damper nut and try to turn the engine over by hand, second. That will knock out the locked up engine possibility. If you know the engine is not locked up then you can get some more battery power and force that starter to work. If you get lots of juice to the starter but it doesn't spin the engine, and you know that you can turn it by hand, that would be a pretty good sign of a bad starter. That's the way I'd do it that would make me the least nervous.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
pizzahut111 (03-04-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 12:00 AM

Thanks BareBonesXL.

I already replaced the starter as well as the battery, making sure to clean the terminals.

Given the click(s) in the video, would you say the engine is cranking? And do you mean the damper bolt on the crank shaft? I'm not sure how to 'turn the engine over' by hand, even after looking for videos on this.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:51 AM

Received 940 Likes on 743 Posts

See https://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=134859 for parallel conversation.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:06 AM

Thanks, the other post is mine -- wasn't sure of the extent to which both forums overlapped.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:17 PM

SHO89's suggestion to remove the belt is simpler than turning the crankshaft by hand. You can spin the various pulleys and the water pump by hand also, after removing the belt, to see if any are locked up, before even cranking the engine with the starter. They should all spin easily. You don't need to remove the belt completely, just slide it off of one pulley to remove the tension.
Old 03-05-2022, 02:05 PM

Received 940 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzahut111
Thanks, the other post is mine -- wasn't sure of the extent to which both forums overlapped.
There are many of us who frequent a number of different forums. Just happened to see your post there first.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:27 PM

Talking engine starts

Sure enough... I removed the belt and it started up!!!!

Here the belt is off:

Belt removed

The AC compressor clutch does not seem to budge; it's pretty rusted out. Every other wheel in the serpentine belt spins with relative ease. Is this an indicator that I have the suspected replacement job on my hands? If so, I'm more than happy to have diagnosed the issue.

Another unrelated note, I just noticed what appears to be a coolant leak after seeing a small puddle underneath the power steering pump. Here are a few pics of me tracing it:

(coolant?) pooling around first, driver-side coil pack

pooling on cylinder head cover

leak from bottom. I am not certain that it's actually coming from this line, perhaps just from upstream.

power steering pump

Thanks for your continued advice!

Old 03-05-2022, 09:30 PM

Now that I think of it...

When I was getting towed, I had to steer the truck onto the tow bed. The steering was noticeable difficult, is it possible that the power steering failed?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2022, 10:33 PM

How many miles on your rig? Now I'm worried about my AC compressor. The compressor pulley should spin easily, it's not doing any work unless the compressor clutch is engaged and the engine is running, otherwise it just freewheels. I think that SHO89 diagnosed it in your other thread.

Still, grab that water pump pulley and shake it around to be sure it hasn't crapped out.

Quick Reply: 2001 5.4L Triton - no crank, no start