Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

whats the problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy whats the problem

Ok so I purchased a new to me ford f150 2004 in year.I drove it for about a week, I took it to a shop and they said the motor was bad..so I called the guy I got it from and he told me to take it to a different shop.Well that shop said it was the timing chain,cam,phasers and the cylinoids.they said they could fix it for 1900.00.So I let them It took about 3 weeks and they said it was done.I went and got it in wich they said I owed them 2360.00.well I wasn't very happy but I paid it..Sappose to have a 90 day or 4000.00 mile warranty,well driving it home about 25 miles the engine light came on and it started skipping.Just like it did when I took it their.Qnly difference is now theres no ticking from the motor.So the next day I drove it back very mad and told them don't call me till its done.Well about another week later he calls says its done the mechanic changed the oil and drove it 70 miles with no engine light coming on but the truck still had a lil skip and I need to change the plugs.It has 199000 miles on it and hasn't been changed that I know of ,well I drove it home everything was fine and bought the plugs but it was snowing yesterday.well I drove it to work today and it was fine then going back to my workshop it done it again started skipping and the light came on.the mechanic said he couldn't hook up his 4000.00 dollar scanner to it but the cheap one worked?first is their any truth to that?and second he said the plugs are the issue that when it starts skipping it retards the timing?thats the second question?he said I should change the plugs and coilovers as there prolly stock.he then said after I do that take it to a dealer and get it fixed to where it would accept his 4000.00 tunner.im going to change the plugs but I realy don't want to put all this money in it if its not the issue.ps I asked him if we wanted to change them(at first he quoted me 360.00)but now wont touch itand the warranty says if another shop services my truck it voids the warranty.im lost on what to do.other then try the plugs n go from their
any help would b greatly appreciated

Last edited by nevrslipn; 04-08-2016 at 06:37 AM. Reason: puncuation
Old 04-07-2016, 08:31 PM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

I gave up. Here, try this...

http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/top-ten.html
The following users liked this post:
joe mcmillan (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 06:37 AM

their is that better
Old 04-08-2016, 01:49 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 339 Likes on 253 Posts

If it's not ticking anymore and just misses, then I'd agree it's probably the plugs is a good place to start.

I'd change out the plugs, and see how it runs. And for the miles on that truck you may also want to change out the COP springs and boots as well.

If the truck is running good/sounds good except for the miss, you almost got it.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ReaperHWK
If it's not ticking anymore and just misses, then I'd agree it's probably the plugs is a good place to start.

I'd change out the plugs, and see how it runs. And for the miles on that truck you may also want to change out the COP springs and boots as well.

If the truck is running good/sounds good except for the miss, you almost got it.
X2 change out the spark plugs and coil packs
Old 04-08-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

"he then said after I do that take it to a dealer and get it fixed to where it would accept his 4000.00 tunner.im going to change the plugs but I realy don't want to put all this money in it if its not the issue.ps I asked him if we wanted to change them(at first he quoted me 360.00)but now wont touch itand the warranty says if another shop services my truck it voids the warranty.im lost on what to do.other then try the plugs n go from their"
-Sounds like you need to threaten a lawsuit in small claims court and see what he does then.
As for connecting his scanner, sounds like his is not in service. If you can read codes from the OBDII port then he can them unless his system is faulty.
PS, The warranty can only be void if someone works one what he fixed/replaced at best. He does not have the ability to stop you from having other services done. In addition, get him to put in writing that he will not do the plugs (i.e. ask him to quote the job or not formally, i.e. on his work orders). If he will not service the truck then he voids the warranty contract. Again this all leads you to the same place should you need restitution........ Court...... small claims does not require lawyers or in depth knowledge of the law, just file a complaint and pay the court fee to get a date.

Last edited by tomb1269; 04-08-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

X3 on the plugs, if you're at 199k with the original pluigs, you're about 100k overdue for them. You will definitely need to prepare yourself. Plug changes on the 5.4L 3V are historic for being a complete pain. So research and plan ahead for that job.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:05 PM

this is my second 2004 ford .and having the cams phasers and chain and cylinoids done .plus I changed the plugs myself on the last one.yes it is a pia but I got it done in two days .after buying the tool to extract the broken ones.just curiouse if the motor having an extra 100000 miles over my last would prolly be even harder?
Old 04-08-2016, 05:43 PM

and is their any truth to at he is saying about it skipping because of the plugs.and it causes the timing to retard? thanks for all the info/responds.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:45 PM

thier was a post about some one havng the same issue as me after changing the cam fasers that thiers debree blocking the new screens?think I might b having the same issues?i mean I have a ton of money in this (project)I even told the mechanic shop I could get a refurbished motor off the internet for 2800.00 shipped wth a core

Quick Reply: whats the problem