Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

What do y'all think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:53 AM
King Air 200 Captain

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What do y'all think?

Ok, I have an 06' King Ranch 5.4L. I was wondering what you guys think I should do with it? The mods I have in mind are:

K&N Cold Air Intake

True Dual exhaust w/ Flowmaster Super 50's

Edge Evolution programmer

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2009, 01:07 AM

Level 2.5 autosprings or hellbentsteel
Bigger tires 33's or 35's
Tint match the back
CAI K&N
Exhaust whatever
Gryphon from powerhungryperformance.com-Basically an edge but better

In that order............Well not really, do exhaust, cai and gryphon at same time. Some CAI's make our trucks run WAAAY to lean without a CUSTOM tune.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sounds like my Lariat without the bigger tires & without the cai...currently I have a K&N drop in air filter...I matched my tint with the factory all around & a tint strip on the top of the windshield...have true dual exhaust with 2 AERO Turbine 2525 Performance Mufflers & 2 Chrome tips...3" front leveling kit by hell bent steel. I don't think I'll be doing anything else for a while though...maybe the edge evolution or a K&N cai sometime but i likes it how it is right now.
Attached Images   
Old 04-27-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The sky is the limit really, it just depends on how much you want to modify your truck from stock and how much you want to spend. There are also other things you can do like a spray on bed liner, alarm / auto start system, HID head lights, Hard Tonneau Cover, Upgrade the headunit and speaks if you don’t like the stock ones, etc. I know some guys just add a few performance parts and call it a day and others spend 10k on mods hehe.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:50 AM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Beautiful truck, I'd have to level it and put on some larger tires. I'd run only the K&N drop in at first because with the whole kit on a 5.4 you won't gain that much over the stock air intake. Also it may keep you from having to go with custom tunes for the Edge. The Edge programers are set for stock Ford air intakes but you can get by with only a drop in. Also whatever muffler you go with try to get a stainless housing. My Flow 40 was rusted in 3 1/2 yrs. Have fun with the new mod's.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 PM
King Air 200 Captain

I have a spray in bed liner, I upgraded the door speakers and put 2 ten inch subs under the seat. The truck came with the factory remote start. I definatly want to level it and put better tires on it. I also want to tint. Do you just match the front windows with the back ones or what?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:05 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by King_Ranch_Pilot
I have a spray in bed liner, I upgraded the door speakers and put 2 ten inch subs under the seat. The truck came with the factory remote start. I definatly want to level it and put better tires on it. I also want to tint. Do you just match the front windows with the back ones or what?
Thats all I did...I matched the front with the back & added a tint strip across the top of the windshield...made it look more sporty I thought. Some people want it blacked out all the way around...the person doing the tint would just simply have to put dark tint on the front & then add more tint to the back to make it darker...thats actually what I had on my last truck...no one could see in but I could see out. Really just depends on what you like better...darker or lighter tint...either way it will look good!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:10 AM

This is a great thread on Steeda and K&N filter use compared to AEM on a Mustang - lots of info and individual testing of the differences.

Summary: they got slightly better response feel with a high performance oiled cotton filter compared to the AEM but the AEM keeps more dust particles out of the engine while still allowing 2x airflow over stock. For some reason they also found MPG to go down with the Steeda but improve with the AEM filter - too much airflow bad?

P.S.: here is K&Ns speil on oil not having problems with the MAF - http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm
...however, I used to use K&N in all my cars and never had a problem until I put one in my 2000 Toyota Tacoma. For some reason, with the K&N filter installed, my MAF went bad (needed cleaning) - this was with factory oiling of the filter. Two more times I had to clean my MAF - about 6 months between each. I had cleaned my filter and re-oiled when the second two maf problems happened - both times I was very very sparing with the oil - much less than in my previous cars and well within the limits of the oiling directions from K&N. Overall, I saw it as a slight hassle with the Tacoma to clean the MAF - I also found lots of other Tacoma owners with the same complaint on forums. Now I go with dry filters just to avoid a possible hassle and the need to re-oil - although I believe it may only be an issue when K&N is combined with certain model vehicles. I havn't heard the same with the F-150.

Last edited by reginhild; 04-28-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:47 PM

I'm not sure if your gonna be able to fit two 50 series mufflers under your truck they are significantly bigger than the 40's.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by brub27
I'm not sure if your gonna be able to fit two 50 series mufflers under your truck they are significantly bigger than the 40's.
he might could if he turned them up on there side, but i would go with the 40's anyways its not that loud trust me i have it on mine and i dont even notice it alot