Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Valve Lifter/Cam Phaser problem (help)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Valve Lifter/Cam Phaser problem (help)

So lets begin: I own a 2005 F150 5.4L 3v SOHC with 74k miles on the odo. My truck has no leaking problems, no temperature problems, and no oil pressure problems. I've only done one modification which is a muffler delete and exhaust exit to the bedside with the stock size piping and a decent bend for some added back pressure. I notice that when I cold start my truck i.e. in the morning, immediately it will have a rapid ticking/rattling noise from the engine for a few seconds while the truck goes through its warm-up process revving a little over 1200 rpm and slowly dropping, then the noise fades as it approaches 1000 rpm and below. From what I've researched, this is because there is a lack of oil in the top end when cold starting a motor so the valves aren't properly lubricated yet. I won't hear the noise again until the truck is completely warmed up and has been run for a little while (at least 20+ minutes). I do a lot of freeway driving so usually once I am back to slower speeds and lower rpms like in residential/business areas the noise is back and quite loud. It only happens in 1st/2nd gear and if I'm in 3rd or higher the sound wont be there. As I press the accelerator in 1st gear the noise will be very evident in the 600-1300 rpm range and even more so in 2nd gear in the same rpm range (600-1300 rpm). I am aware of the Cam phaser/valve lifter issue and how common a problem it is with the 2004-2008 5.4L Tritons. Like I said, I've researched quite a bit on the topic, and I understand it can be pretty costly to fix this issue through dealerships/shops due to lots of actual labor time. I've also read in plenty of threads that the noise really isn't bad.. it just drives people nuts (including myself) and will go on for thousands of miles without issue. I have also read the threads on how to fix it yourself and it seems like the cam phaser is my issue, but the fact that I don't hear the ticking/rattling noise all the time has sparked my attention. I read something about how the 2004-2005 5.4's have a certain issue separate from the 2006-2008 5.4's but the post was vague about the issue.. I've tried my best to explain the issue I am having with my truck so if there's any other information I could give for a more accurate answer just let me know! I really do enjoy my truck and I am a fan of Ford.. so I'd rather fix it than sell it or buy something else, and SORRY FOR THE LONG POST. (note:the ticking/rattling noise is not loud enough to be considered a "knock" or "thump" like from a rocker arm)

Last edited by Chzzn; 12-13-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:57 AM

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

To me, it 'sounds' like your your intial cold start ticking is either rocker or timing chain related. Then, when it warms up you could be hearing the noisy injectors these engines have. The phaser noise is definately a deeper knock sound, almost like a 'rod noise' when the engine is warm. The exhaust manifolds leaking can make quite the racket too. Before starting the engine cold next time, hold your foot all the way down on the accelator prior to, and while cranking the engine over (for a few seconds). This will prime the oil system. See if your cold start noises go away. That will help you diagnose if its valve train/timing chain, or manifold gaskets.
The following users liked this post:
Chzzn (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Related question

I am sorry to hi jack this thread but I have a related question. I have 2004 with what I think is the cam phaser problem. Is there a problem if I don't repair it? Is there a chance of a catastrophic engine failure if the problem is ignored? The noise is not objectionable, the mileage doesn't seem to be effected, and I would rather not tear into the engine if I can avoid it.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

The start up rattle is most likely due to one or both of the chain tensioners leaking oil because of bad seals. If you read the tsb report on it, it recommends doing the whole timing kit. I have this problem right now and plan on either fixing it or trading it in for another f150. As for it leading to further problems and or castastrophic damage it's possible and also unpredictable. It could be like that for another 100,000 miles or life of the truck or it could break tomorrow. No one can know for sure. My truck has started like that and ticks when warm since I bought it and it runs great, drives great, and I love it. But the ticking drives me crazy and I already change both vct solenoids and that did nothing. It's just one of those things these trucks are notorious for and it seems pretty common. Your best bet is to read and research every aspect of the situation and start replacing things cheaper to more expensive. The vct solenoids are a great place to start they're like $50 each (there's only 2) and they're easy to change well on the 04,05 and 06's. They're way harder to change on 07,08's. Some people say replacing them fixed there problems and some say it didn't. Again it's one of those things. Anyway good luck and keep us informed if you fixed it and how and I'll do the same.
The following users liked this post:
Chzzn (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My 04 5.4l had the same issue, rattle on startup and phaser knock at low rpm. The rattle ended up being the tensioners and of course it needed phasers as well. I had the whole timing setup done at my local shop for about $2000. Chains, tensioners, guides, and phasers is what they replaced
Old 12-14-2013, 06:32 PM

Thanks everyone for the feed back! I really appreciate it. I keep researching as best I can. The sound hasn't gotten quieter or louder in the past month or so, so I'm not too worried as of right now; although, I'm sure that I need to fix it sooner better than later.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem in my 06' with 90k for months then one day it started misfiring with a violent shudder when I'd try to accelerate at 45+ mph and only had 2 random misfires came up in 3 weeks (Drove it everyday with the misfire/shudder occurring). Ended up being the timing chain tensioners and seals which ended up causing both cats to clog up. With a buddy doing all the work it ended up costing $2,500
Old 12-20-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyB1232
I had the same problem in my 06' with 90k for months then one day it started misfiring with a violent shudder when I'd try to accelerate at 45+ mph and only had 2 random misfires came up in 3 weeks (Drove it everyday with the misfire/shudder occurring). Ended up being the timing chain tensioners and seals which ended up causing both cats to clog up. With a buddy doing all the work it ended up costing $2,500
I've been tracking a similar problem with my truck for 2 or 3 years...I learned to live with it until I found pieces of the timing. Gain guides in the oil pan while replacing leaking gasket. Not sure how the cats got clogged though...are you sure clogged cats were the problem?
Old 01-02-2014, 03:34 PM

Alright guys I'm starting to research the cam phaser kits on ebay and other places. Does anyone have a suggestion/link to a good place to get the full cam phaser kit including the tool and the parts for the chain tensioners, and is there possibly an aftermarket brand that makes BETTER kits than the OEM ones? I know it's going to be pricey so I'll deal with that.. but If there's an aftermarket one that lasts longer than the stock OEM one that would be a lot better I could imagine.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chzzn
Alright guys I'm starting to research the cam phaser kits on ebay and other places. Does anyone have a suggestion/link to a good place to get the full cam phaser kit including the tool and the parts for the chain tensioners, and is there possibly an aftermarket brand that makes BETTER kits than the OEM ones? I know it's going to be pricey so I'll deal with that.. but If there's an aftermarket one that lasts longer than the stock OEM one that would be a lot better I could imagine.
I would assume the OEM ford part is probably your best bet. I just bought from ebay (oemselectautoparts), for about 580 shipped. They are genuine ford replacement parts and include phasers, probably the best deal out there . I have not purchased any special tools as I understand it, they are not necessary. I also purchased solenoids for 85 shipped from ebay- fairfome (fairway ford dealership). i will also likely replace the oil pump while i am in there, haven't decided yet thought.

Quick Reply: Valve Lifter/Cam Phaser problem (help)