Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 51 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Transmission problem

So I was driving down the highway and they went from 1st to 2nd and then to third and once I got up to 65 I let off and then I want to get back on after letting off and it slipped neutral and wouldn't get back into third at all. But I can goto second and 1st on the column but I put two qaurts in it because it was low and it did the same so anyone have this problem? Blown tranny? Repairable? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 05-24-2017, 08:16 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Sounds like you lost 3rd gear, maybe 4th gear. Mine did basically that back in August 2016. Got on the gas on the highway, shifted hard to 3rd then free revved. Would go first, second, then free. Limped it to work (was in a bad part of town), then limped it to the transmission shop. The inner drum was stripped, burned all the clutches, broke the 3rd, 4th, and OD band, damaged the OD piston, and shot debris through the valve body. Landed me a full rebuild at $2600... They did a good job with it though at AAMCO and have a good warranty. I had a spring in the valve body fail 2 weeks after getting it back. They had it fixed within a day no questions asked.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:10 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default need to find a local trans shop with a good reputation .

AAMCO is known for very poor work . Having to take it back within a week is the norm . All kinds of excuses . The other norm is for it to start acting up at or near the end of the warranty without much successful conclusion .
My good friend just went thru this , he was out of state and I didn't get to warn him.
He ended up being charged 5k for trans and other work on engine . Well 14 months later he had to get another trans job and a new engine . I had my local mechanic rebuild his trans for $1400. New engine was $2400 installed . Granted he had an old engine with too many miles .Needless to say AA was not going to do anything for him .
Treat your trans very well install a plate cooler on it, and a drain pan to slowly change all the fluid out every 30k or so . Use the fluid recommended for your trans . Heat kills trans, keep them cool .
Plus my local mechanic did all the upgrades on his trans.
I hope you do better .
Old 05-25-2017, 08:01 AM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Retaining clip on the overdrive Cervo. Mine did the same thing 4 years ago. Was 1.50 for the clip and had to change the fluid. Key is finding the broken piece that jams everything up. Safety feature kicks it into neutral to prevent further damage. Had to drop the pan twice to find the 3 pieces of clip that broke.

I'd look into this first before committing to a rebuild or replacement. Never hurts to start small and rule out all possibilities if it can potentially save you a large amount of money.

I've not had any other issues since and still shifting good 4 years later.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:54 AM

That sounds like a plan! It had no slippage at all just suddenly happened! When I put it in overdrive off it shifts and does everything good.but the minute I turn overdrive on it will grab and when I left off it goes to nuetral...
Old 05-25-2017, 04:34 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by Project_Red
That sounds like a plan! It had no slippage at all just suddenly happened! When I put it in overdrive off it shifts and does everything good.but the minute I turn overdrive on it will grab and when I left off it goes to nuetral...
Yup, sounds like just the OD servo then. Wish that was the deal with mine... Mine was squealing and making all kinds of sounds. Lol. It was on it's third trans when I traded it in.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:58 AM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

When it happened to my truck, I'd turned onto the highway and punched it. When it shifted into overdrive, it jarred the truck so hard the ashtray popped open! Turned OD off and it shifted and drove fine. Turn OD on and same symptom when shifting into OD.

Thanks to our Old Friend Ford-Make-You-Loco, I was able to determine it was the retaining ring in the OD Servo.

From what I understand, and I know others will correct me if I'm wrong, this is a Very common issue with these trucks and, when the retaining clip breaks, the pieces get into the valve body/manifold (where all the actuators and mechanisms are) whatever it's called, (I'm no transmission guy, just got a lil skill with a tool box) and causes it to not function properly. As a fail safe, the transmission faults into neutral to protect from damage.

I dropped the pan and found 2 of three pieces of the ring. Could not locate the missing piece although I knew what I was looking for as I'd pieced the old one back together to ID any missing parts. Replaced fluids ect., put the pan back on, and had the SAME results. I was a bit discouraged to say the least but, I knew it was dependent on finding the other fragment in order to know if this would fix my issue or not.

Drained fluid again, dropped pan........again, and this time located (very tediously and meticulously I might add) the missing piece of the ring.

Replaced pan, added fluids, and this time it fixed the issue and has been running strong and shifting smooth ever since. I might add that with the addition of a tuner and after adjusting shift aggressiveness and RPM, the truck shifts better now than the day I drove it off the lot. Just thought I'd add that.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you and let me know if I can help in any way.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:15 AM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

^^ This
Old 05-26-2017, 10:45 AM

Ahhh this whole thing scares me! I hope it's a retaining clip but after I get it fixed if it is knock on wood I'm selling it I want to upgrade to a 250 diesel for hauling purposes..
Old 05-30-2017, 08:16 PM

So it's not the ring I took it apart and it was not broke next step?