Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission Dragging?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Dragging?

I have a 2005 F150 FX4 screw. This morning on my way to work it felt like I had some resistance coming from the transmission. I could feel vibration through my peddle and when I let off the gas I could here a low tone grunt/whine and it was slowing down just a hair slower than it normally would while coasting. It was almost as if I was dragging something behind the truck. I'll be honest. The only thing that has changed in the last 24 hours: I have had an issue with water on the floorboard. After a few failed attempts to unplug "what I thought" was the ac drain I blew some compressed air in it. The lazy part of me failed to completely verify that this drain line led to the firewall. It's the drain that runs on the passenger side of the transmission next to the O2 sensor right there on the exhaust. I'm worried I actually blew air into a possible transmission vent and if I did would that cause any damage? I only hit it with a few bumps of the air. I must admit that I should know better than to assume things and that I am no newb to working on my truck although I am also not a master mechanic. Just had a lazy hair because I was swamped yesterday with other nonsense. TIA
Old 10-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Check the level of the fluid and run it through each gear to get everything circulated. Really doubt you did any damage.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

You blew air into the tranny vent.. the A/C drain line is located on the passenger side firewall by the tranny dip stick tube. not sure what you did by blowing air up the vent line.. maybe pushed some fluid somewhere where it should not be or from where it needed to be.. I would at least drop the pan and change the filter and the 5 qts that come out during the pan drop.. have you checked the fluid level since your mistake ?
Old 10-13-2017, 09:39 AM

I checked the fluid when I got to work. The truck was hot but and it was only in the cold section of the dipstick. I do assume it is low so when I get off I will check it again and add any if needed. It's not slipping so that's a good sign. I am afraid to drain the fluid now. The truck has 95k on it and it's never had a flush. When I checked the dipstick it has some black residue. It didn't really smell burnt so I'm thinking it's wear from the clutch. I don't want to drain it and then clear any of the crud that maybe holding worn out parts together and have the tranny go out right now. I'm tight on funds because I am house shopping otherwise it wouldn't be an issue
Old 10-13-2017, 11:20 AM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Dropping the pan, replacing the filter, cleaning the magnet and putting in 5 fresh quarts won't hurt anything
Old 10-13-2017, 03:46 PM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

Agree.. it needs to be serviced..maybe you blew the filter off and you could check that while you replace it.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:27 PM

Alright well the vote seems to be drain it and refill and change the filter. It wasn't exactly what I was hoping for but I don't have any other options. Now the problem is that I don't have time. I work what they call a "DuPont shift" and I'm low on overtime so I'm covering practically every vacation till the end of the year. I'll squeeze it in somewhere or see if my someone in my family can swap vehicles and do it while I'm at work. Fortunately I have a capable family.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:48 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by BaytownFX4
Alright well the vote seems to be drain it and refill and change the filter. It wasn't exactly what I was hoping for but I don't have any other options. Now the problem is that I don't have time. I work what they call a "DuPont shift" and I'm low on overtime so I'm covering practically every vacation till the end of the year. I'll squeeze it in somewhere or see if my someone in my family can swap vehicles and do it while I'm at work. Fortunately I have a capable family.
Dropping the pan and replacing the 5 quarts takes like an hour. Just food for thought. It's 14 bolts and a 10mm socket.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by SCORGE
Dropping the pan and replacing the 5 quarts takes like an hour. Just food for thought. It's 14 bolts and a 10mm socket.
The elusive 10mm. I'm hoping to get to that this weekend. I have checked the 4wd IWE system it's working like it should. I might be able to squeeze the transmission service in on Thursday. If that doesn't work I will take it to the dealership and let them diagnose for me. I sort of feel like it could be the differential. When I turn the vibration and noise goes away. If that's the case then I will take it to a badass diff shop right around the corner from me called Pyle brothers. We shall see.