Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Shaking/Shudder While Breaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking/Shudder While Breaking

Every time I brake above 35-40 mph, my truck shakes and the steering wheel goes wobbly just a bit. On a scale from 1-10, Id say around 5 or so. Not unbearable and the truck brakes just fine, it just shakes. If I slam on the brakes during a sudden stop(thanks to idiot drivers), it doesn't do this but just a small tiny bit. It was worse before I changed the rotors, calipers and brake pads just on the front. Im thinking something in the steering/suspension (tie rods?) might be wrong, Possibly back rotors and pads? Truck has 189,000 miles on it, runs really well, and has good rubber. Could I get any insight on the issue.

I dont mind doing the work myself, other than needing to take it for an alignment afterwards.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:42 PM

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Tie rod ends are easy to check, but I would assume your tire wear would tip you off to those being bad.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:46 PM

Well, that could be what it is, I changed my oil last night and while it was draining, hosted my truck up and rotated the tires and noticed that the front tires were uneven and showed more wear on the outside of the tire tread versus the inside.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:46 PM

Received 277 Likes on 245 Posts

A lot of the times, the shaking while braking is warped rotors. Since you replaced the front ones, the rear ones might be in order.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:52 PM

Yea, thats what im thinking. I got a 2 year warranty on the front ones, so i'm going to yank those off and trade out for some new ones. And probably replace the back ones as well. And see where that gets me. I spoke to the mechanic I take my truck for stuff that Im not educated enough in. He said its possible I got jacked rotors brand new.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:15 PM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Sometimes, allegedly warped rotors are actually due to pad build up on the rotors from coming to a stop and then sitting with the brakes on, pressing the hot pads onto the hot rotors. A fine layer of pad material sticks to the rotor, resulting in an uneven surface. I always roll forward a couple feet after coming to a spot to let the rotors cool.

I just had the rear rotors and pads done under warranty on my new truck, and that brake pedal pulse went away 90% (just a guess), despite feeling it in the wheel.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the info, Im going to change the rear rotors and pads on my truck this week sometime. The truck has 189,000 miles on it, Ive had for 2 years and I would not be surprised if the rotors are OE on the rear. Anyhow, I will update when I get them changed and take a spin down the highway to test. Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:09 PM

Received 790 Likes on 646 Posts

Since you've taken care of the brakes already wheel bearings can cause shaking while braking. Not common but old rubber brake hoses can cause shaking. Especially with ABS. As the hoses get old they're susceptible to collapsing. With ABS pulsating hydraulic pressure it's a self fulfilling prophecy amplifying the collapsing of the hoses. Bad ABS sensors can also cause the problem.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:13 PM

I haven't completely fixed the rotors/brakes. Im going to change the rear rotors and pads this week. I will say that after I changed the front rotors, pads and calipers on the front that it significantly helped with the shaking in the pedal and the steering wheel. Now its a shake that seems to just go through the seat and a tiny bit in the steering wheel. Brake pedal doesnt pulse as bad as it did before I did the front brakes. Hopefully Ill solve me problem this week when I change out the rear rotors and pads. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:14 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Usually this is related to rotor warp as mentioned, but also check for pad glazing.

Quick Reply: Shaking/Shudder While Breaking