Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

rotors and brakes upgrade or replacement option

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rotors and brakes upgrade or replacement option

When I was changing my wheels yesterday i noticed my rotors were real rusty and looking bad. The brake pads looked pretty uneven worn also. Was wondering what the cheapest option would be to replace the setup and some input from peeps who have, thanx
Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I did my front brakes Friday with parts from O'Reilly. It was about 170 total for 2 rotors, their mid range pads, hardware pack (new clips, springs, grease, and slide boots), and 2 cans of brake cleaner. It stops straight and smooth now. The back brakes looked fine so I left them alone.

My fronts were also all rusty, rotors warped, and the pads were unevenly worn (the clips were all rusty so they didn't move smoothly).
The following users liked this post:
Bigguy (05-01-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

NAPA charged me 390.00 for front rotors, pads, calipers, and hoses. And 160.00 for rear calipers and pads. Also bought a bottle of brake fluid, can of brake parts cleaner, brake grease and a little brush. Easy job. Torque wrench was 20.00 from harbor freight.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default My recent experience last summer with brakes

Had my 04 in for lower ball joint replacement and the dealer said my rotors needed turning. Which they did for 200 bucks. I had some uneven stopping going on so what the hell, fix it. That lasted for 1500 miles maybe and the brakes went right back to throbbing. I got off my dead *** and checked them. All four rotors rusty as hell and basically shot. I got four new ones at O'rielly and replaced the rotors. About 200 bucks later and another 6000 miles and no issues. I did let the dealer shop know they dropped the ball on this one. It was a gray area, as a rotor turn job is usually a "tail light" warranty. But if they are rusted up, get rid of them. Never waste money on "turning them".
Old 04-21-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Here is a link to my brake upgrade procedure. Let me know if you need torque specs. Basically you should have a set of sockets from 8mm up to 24mm, both shallow and deep and preferably a set for a 1/2-inch drive impact. Using air tools saves you time and effort and pay for themselves the first time you use them. I can do all four brakes on my truck in about 2-3 hours.

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/front-b...pgrade-158473/

Here is a link to my lower ball joint replacement. If you can follow this you can also do your IWE solenoids, wheel hubs, CV axles, upper ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, knuckle, etc.

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/lower-b...cement-203204/

You can use economy parts for certain systems on your vehicle but I highly recommend spending the money on tires and brakes. Those two things you should never go cheap on!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Yesterday I did the front calipers, all corners got new pads and rotors, and flushed the brake fluid. Went pretty smooth other than one rear rotor needed a 45 minute beat down with every hammer and pry bar I had LOL. The other one fell off.

I went with an ebay seller named brakemotive76. I have spent the $$$ at canadian suppliers and am done with it. The rotors and pads from the ebay suppliers actually get great reviews so I am not too concerned but we shall see how they hold up. So far they feel great.

As far as turning rotors, I think its a waste of time. I just buy new everytime.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corey_lax
Yesterday I did the front calipers, all corners got new pads and rotors, and flushed the brake fluid. Went pretty smooth other than one rear rotor needed a 45 minute beat down with every hammer and pry bar I had LOL. The other one fell off.

I went with an ebay seller named brakemotive76. I have spent the $$$ at canadian suppliers and am done with it. The rotors and pads from the ebay suppliers actually get great reviews so I am not too concerned but we shall see how they hold up. So far they feel great.

As far as turning rotors, I think its a waste of time. I just buy new everytime.
I was also looking at ebay..let me know how they fair over the next week please, thansk
Old 04-22-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I went over to the 4 Wheel Parts store here in town (4wheelparts.com) to get some other parts and they talked me into the Power Stop brand they were selling. They kept telling me how everyone was running them and blah blah blah. So I did all 4 sides with them and after 10k miles they are pretty dang nice. And they look really good too, have kept their bright silver color so far with minimal dusting (used their pads too). Paid right around $500 total. My old rotors were warped bad (previous owner) so turning wasn't in my options.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by corey_lax
I agree. Since I'm already saving money on the labour I just replace the rotors.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am trying to figure out if I should UPGRADE the rotors or not. Is it worth it?

Quick Reply: rotors and brakes upgrade or replacement option