Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Replaceing bed with a 8foot bed

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:01 PM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replaceing bed with a 8foot bed

Will everything line up if i went with a 8 foot bed? I currently have a xlt supercab and wanting to with the longest bed that were made for our trucks and i believe its the 8 foot.I am asking this because i have access to one and friend will give it to me for free.Thanks for everyone's help
Old 05-28-2010, 01:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

No the distance from the back of your cab to your rear wheels is going to be different....
Old 05-28-2010, 01:59 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

It would fit if you also changed the cab from a super to a regular, (145" wheelbase) but who would do that?
Old 05-28-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed.. that would take a lot of modding, including the frame.

Not sure if it would meet your needs, but I use one of these when I need a little extra length to haul:
http://www.amp-research.com/products...bedxtender.asp
Old 05-28-2010, 02:08 PM
This picture scares you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a sawz-all, welder, and enough friends/beer it can be done... Depending on your fab skills/beer consumed will determine what it looks like... LOL
Old 05-28-2010, 04:34 PM
VanoFord2

Originally Posted by camstng66
With a sawz-all, welder, and enough friends/beer it can be done... Depending on your fab skills/beer consumed will determine what it looks like... LOL
I am thinking of attempting it.I am a fabricator(ten years now)do have my own gas-less/gas welder,a sawz all,even have a plasma cutter and a few friends that would help and an unlimited supply of beer.Like i said before,the box is free to me.Gonna talk to my friends to see if they would be up for it(of course the bribe is beer, southern style ribs and brisket)
Old 05-28-2010, 04:44 PM

Note that if you decide the keep the Scab and also extend the bed that you'll need to move back the rear axle, gas tank, fuel lines, exhaust, etc. You'll need a longer drive shaft and your steering calibration will be off. The steering ratios are different for different length wheel bases.

If you do it. Please take lots of pics. It would be quite a project.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:56 PM
VanoFord2

Originally Posted by thump
Note that if you decide the keep the Scab and also extend the bed that you'll need to move back the rear axle, gas tank, fuel lines, exhaust, etc. You'll need a longer drive shaft and your steering calibration will be off. The steering ratios are different for different length wheel bases.

If you do it. Please take lots of pics. It would be quite a project.
ya i was just out there looking at everything and thot to myself,all that will need to be moved back to.Good call on the drive shaft,that didn't cross my mind,thanks.Ya just waiting on my friends to come over and will see what they think.If they say yes,then i will gather all the parts i need and get to it.I am waiting on these 3 friends because they are for more knowledgeable than i am with this kind of stuff,relocating everything and whatnot.Will let everyone know what we decide tonight.

I am look for quite a project,mayby something that is not done by everyone i guess.

Question tho,if i did attempt a project like this and when i want to lift it,would i need a custom lift or what??
Old 05-28-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Skull31
Question tho,if i did attempt a project like this and when i want to lift it,would i need a custom lift or what??
No.. with an F150 suspension lift the rear end is typically just a matter of adding blocks so the WB won't matter. Only IF you decided to add track bars (entirely optional and usually not needed) then you *might* have to customize something for the frame mount.

For the rest of the parts I was mentioning, especially the steering box and drive shaft, you may want to check out junk yards to see if you can find a junked F150 HD.

Quick Reply: Replaceing bed with a 8foot bed