Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Planning on servicing transmission this weekend..

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Planning on servicing transmission this weekend..

Some quick questions.

I'm doing a drain and fill on my 08 with 87,3xx and replacing the filter with a new OEM just because I'll be in there anyways. I read that the gasket is reusable, but bought a new Felpro. Should I reuse the Ford one, or install the new Felpro and keep the OEM as a spare? Also, I'm installing the dorman pan with the drain bolt (to make future drains easier) instead of the OEM. What are the tq specs and pattern? Lastly, roughly how much fluid do you lose with the drain and fill? I got 5qts of Walmart Supertech Merc V. Should that be enough?

thanks!!
Old 04-21-2016, 06:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I reused the original gasket two times now, which was in great shape. I bought 7qts. so there was some for back-up. Be sure to check level after about 4 to 4.5qts. Not sure of the torque specs, just go by "feel" pretty straight forward. If its the first change, don't be alarmed by the plastic plug laying in the pan. Its there from the assembly line and made to be pushed in when dip stick tube is installed.
The following users liked this post:
650NutKase (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 07:03 AM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 650NutKase
Some quick questions.

I'm doing a drain and fill on my 08 with 87,3xx and replacing the filter with a new OEM just because I'll be in there anyways. I read that the gasket is reusable, but bought a new Felpro. Should I reuse the Ford one, or install the new Felpro and keep the OEM as a spare? Also, I'm installing the dorman pan with the drain bolt (to make future drains easier) instead of the OEM. What are the tq specs and pattern? Lastly, roughly how much fluid do you lose with the drain and fill? I got 5qts of Walmart Supertech Merc V. Should that be enough?

thanks!!

5 qts should be fine, make sure to start out with like 3.5 or 4 qts let it run for a bit, go through the gears, do a litttle power break, check it etc.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did my transmission pan and replaced it with the Dorman pan with bolt a few weeks ago.

My truck has 140k miles on it now, and I reused the gasket. The filter I bought did come with a gasket, however; the OEM gasket is so rigid and was in such great shape I really wanted to reuse it. It saves a lot of time as opposed to screwing around with those flimsy aftermarket gaskets.

I don't know the particular torque spec that the drain bolt calls for on the dorman pan. I just tightened it to snug + 1/4th of a turn and no leaks yet. Be careful with how much torque you do apply, the dorman pan is made of a thinner metal than the OEM pan. It actually started flexing with the amount of torque I did apply. It takes a 17mm 6 point I believe.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:29 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

The torque specs are:
9 nm
80 in lb
6.6 ft lb
Didn't see a pattern posted.

I put some teflon tape on the Dorman drain plug just to make sure it seals.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Monks

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
The torque specs are:
9 nm
80 in lb
6.6 ft lb
Didn't see a pattern posted.

I put some teflon tape on the Dorman drain plug just to make sure it seals.
thanks!!!
Old 04-21-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

From experience, use only a motorcraft transmission filter. they fit better and most aftermarket filters fail causing the filter to fall out of the valvebody.

reuse the OEM pan gasket, it seals much better then any aftermarket gasket will.

Factory service manual says torque pan bolts to 120-140 inch pounds... I normally torque to 130 inch pounds and never had any leaks
Old 04-21-2016, 11:48 AM
Monks

Originally Posted by mitymerc
From experience, use only a motorcraft transmission filter. they fit better and most aftermarket filters fail causing the filter to fall out of the valvebody.

reuse the OEM pan gasket, it seals much better then any aftermarket gasket will.

Factory service manual says torque pan bolts to 120-140 inch pounds... I normally torque to 130 inch pounds and never had any leaks
I bought a MC filter, since i know it can be used for quite a while before needing to be changed.

Quick Reply: Planning on servicing transmission this weekend..