Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Off Road Worries

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Off Road Worries

I got into some deep mud (filled the wheel wells) last weekend. Thankfully, I was able to rock myself out after about 10 tries. I moved quickly and there was no down time - which is good because my truck probably would have gotten flooded - but the entire exhaust was definitely under water. After finally backing out and catching my breath and slowing my heart rate a bit, I did a quick walk-around which indicated no external and/or structural damage. However, there are a few reasons for concern. My wheels where spinning pretty fast in 4L - definitely faster than 3 - 5 mph. Also, on my way home I noticed that the check engine light was on. I have a GPS mounted in my dash over the battery meter (coincidentally also the warning light) so I cannot say exactly when the light came on. The codes read that the engine is running lean (bank 1 and 2). I added some water remover to the gas tank in case some might have gotten in there, but I am eager to hear anything else I can check, clean, or replace to ensure the continuing reliability and solid performance of my truck, which is a daily driver for work and personal use. I welcome and appreciate any and all input.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check alll connections to the o2 sensors. may have either broke them or theyr full of ****...
Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 PM
December 2009 TOTM!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Was it mud or water? Did you get water in the engine bay?

I think your safe up to 15mph in 4L.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the response. Everything seems ok, could you let me know exactly where all the sensors are - I believe there are more than location. It was thick mud under water. I'm sure some water got in there, but the intake stayed dry, thankfully. I hosed down the entire engine compartment, but there didnt seem to be too much in there. Hopefully I kept it under 15 mph. Again, thank you for the help.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:30 PM

well the chances of ur whole exhaust being under are slim if its still goes over the rear end... due to the bend... thats if u have that set for a exhaust hahah but the sensors are before and after your catalytic converters...the front ones im gunna admit do suck to check the plug since they mounted the plug up high.. but id check the plugs out and check for broken wires..
Old 01-26-2010, 09:26 PM

Default 06 Fix

I spent half the day yesterday at the shop(s) trying to determine the problem. I have a three year rotate, balance, and align at Tires Plus, so I figured two birds one stone, especially because all the sensors looked alright. My friend who works there confirmed that it was not an O2 sensor issue. Also, the memory showed a history of recent misfires. The tests showed that all the coils are responsive and relatively uniform, so pretty much he cant tell where the misfire is. Turns out that the shop where I got my spark plugs changed in October put Bosch plugs in - he says they're the wrong plugs for the truck.

Should I pay another $200 to switch out the Bosch plugs for Motorcraft ones, and could that be the cause of the problem? I have noticed a slight dip in performance, and it seems to be drinking a little heavier than normal.

Any ideas of what the underlying problem might be, and/or advice on what my next step should be, would be appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:58 PM

if they used regualar plugs yes... fords use platunum ones they`re good for 100000 miles

Trending Topics

Old 01-26-2010, 11:46 PM

The new plugs are bosch platinum. The guys at tires plus ( one of whom claims to be a die-hard ford enthusiast ) says they're no good and will only cause problems for the truck. He says to only use the motorcraft platinum - more or less the oem replacement. Could the difference in plugs be enough to cause these problems, and should I consider it a coincidence that this whole thing happened right after I went under water? I went back to the shop that put the plugs in, and they said that the alternator needed to be replaced. Both shops take a reading of 14.2V ( I think) at idle, the old shop says it doesnt compensate when put under load. They quoted me $300 installed. I've replaced alternators on other vehicles and this one doesnt look to be such a big deal. Could the alternator be the problem, and combined with the plugs could that cause all this? Thanks
Old 01-27-2010, 05:07 PM

14.2 at idle is good they`re trying to rip you off. anything above 14 to bout 14.6 is good if its around 13 or soo then ur alternators is becoming weak. take all of your coil packs off and use a blow gun and blow down into the holes and use dieletric grease on ur coil packs.. lemme know if that helps it almost sounds like theres moisture some where...
Old 01-27-2010, 08:32 PM

your safe to go 30mph in 4L it says it in the manual....so anything under 30

Quick Reply: Off Road Worries