Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

installed my leveling kit.....big problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed my leveling kit.....big problems

i installed my leveling kit yesterday, its the spacers that go above to strut mounts, and my suspension is on a huge bind. so i am going to take it off. anyone else with the strut spacers have this problem? if i go with the spring leveling kit will i have the same problem? i dont think i installed the kit wrong because it only goes on one way. when the suspension is hanging with the wheels off the upper balljoint is rubing againt the spring?????? any info asap would be greatly appriciated because im going to take this kit off tomorrow. thanks.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

What size leveling kit did you get? You should never install more than a 2.5" kit as anything bigger puts your suspension at severe angles. There is only one way to install the strut mounted kits as you said, they simply sit on top of the struts, nothing to it. Maybe try reinstalling it and take some pics and post up so we can take a look at what you're seeing and offer some advice.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:45 PM

Default same thing

I had the same thing hapen to me. It worried me as well. But what i did was when i took pressure off of the springs i just put alot of cardboard inbetween the spring and the upper strut. This kept it from rubbing. When you lower your suspension down it goes back to normal. I have had mine on for about a week now and did a good shakedown run on it and have not had any problems. What i think the problem is, is when you put the kit on it causes the spring to sit alot lower when its not compressed and causes this extreme angle for the upper strut.

Btw I have an '06 F150 lariat screw with 6' bed. I'll post pictures later if you want to see.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

WHat sized leveling kit!?
Old 11-07-2008, 03:31 PM

its only a 2inch kit. im also hearing a rattle in the front end sounds like maybe the sway bar but i double checked everything and everything is tight. should i send this back and get the leveling springs or am i going to have the same problem with them as well?
Old 11-08-2008, 02:08 PM

well i fixed the rattle, my dumb ***** left a sway bar link loose. i ran the 4wd and everything seems fine so im going to give this a try and see what happens. is there any other way to raise the back end up a little other then aal? it dont need much an inch would be perfect the front sits about 1/2 inch higher then the rear now.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:01 PM

not calling you a liar or anything but how did the front end up being 1/2" higher then the back? the back sets 2" higher then the front and you said you put on a 2" leveling kit. maybe im missing something here but i cant under stand how that works, it should be leveled. but then again i know nothing about suspension lifts.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:08 AM

i dont understand it either. if its sitting on a dead level concrete pad u can tell its a little higher. i even measured it and thats what its coming out to.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I swear our trucks sit differently. I have seen our trucks with different level kits and some sit level, some still point down, and others are there with a higher front.

It wierd. I have a 3" soon to be 2.5" and mine barely is higher in the front..like a 1/4 inch.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:55 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Is there any long term damage from adding a 2" leveling kit to the front? Does it effect the ride?

Quick Reply: installed my leveling kit.....big problems