Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Installed the CDC Shaker and I think im runnin lean

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Installed the CDC Shaker and I think im runnin lean

I recently installed the CDC Shaker ram air intake on my 2007 5.4l fx2. Prior to installing it I spoke with numerous people and plowed through thousands of posts here researching pros and cons of installing it. My research led me to believe that the 06's and earlier had problems with running lean after installing CAI's without a custom tune. I was under the impression that the 07's didn't have this problem.

Well... if I rev it a bunch while I'm in park I get that popping noise in my exhaust. It has also hurt my mileage a bit (a mile or two) and its not because I'm heavier on the gas. Im just about positive that I'm running a little lean. I have driven about 300 miles since the install (the battery was disconnected throughout the install so the computer is reset) and I'm not throwing any codes.

This brings me to my question...If its not throwing codes should I just not worry about it? I have researched tuners and custom tunes from PHP and troyer but would prefer not to have to spend a bunch of cash on a programmer right now. Is there any way to get a custom tune without a programmer? I would be greatful for any advice other than uninstall the Shaker. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would wait to see if it throws a code, if it is running lean it will throw a code, well should. Is your exhaust stock?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:29 PM

As of right now my exhaust is stock... planning on putting in the Roush off-road cat back sido.
I would have though it would have thrown a code by now but Im pretty sure its running lean... atleast when I crank the throttle. If it does end up throwing a lean code what are my options?
As for the exhaust... I was gonna see what the intake did for me first (throttle response, HP, mileage, etc) then once I played with just the intake for a bit I was gonna throw on the exhaust. Now that I think I'm running lean I wanted to get that straightened out before installing the exhaust.
I would love a programmer with a customer tune but I have a baby boy due in April and the wife would kill me. So I'm trying to weigh out any other possible options.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:38 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

If your running lean your mpg's would get better. 07-08s don't need a custom tune to run intakes. I have canned tunes on my Edge and have a True Ram Air Hood on my 06 and no problems running lean.

What is it doing to make you believe it is running lean?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 PM

I took it to a friend and had him hook it up and read the diagnostics... My long term fuel trim was reading high in both banks... but my short term was normal at the time we tested it...I don't recall the exact readings off hand. I haven't checked it in about 100mi or so but when I put the truck in park and get the Rpms above 3000 the exhaust pops when I let off the gas (I'm assuming from the motor misfiring???) Most of the diagnostics stuff is gibberish to me but he said it was running lean at one point hence the high percentages over the long term... I assumed that it still was running lean because when I lay on the throttle my exhaust pops exactly like what others have described in their 05s and 06s when they ran lean.

Last edited by J. Clementi; 01-12-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:28 PM

Oh yea... and my butt dyno tells me that I'm missing a little power... So, where do I go from here?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Jerry

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought my diablosport predator programmer as it has canned cai tunes. Maybe look for a used one. It can also be upgraded with custom tunes later if you so desire. I'm happy with my canned tunes.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:46 PM

I've neverlooked into the diablo tuners... everyone here suggests either edge or sct with custom tunes... how much did the Diablo run you if you don't mind me asking???
Old 01-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Jerry

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

285 from autoanything.com. They have frequent sales and price match. It may even be a little cheaper now, but I didn't want to deal with the price match for ten bucks. It doesn't have one for that specific brand of intake, but has 4 or 5 of which I'm sure one would work for u and they have 87 and premium tunes.

Last edited by jerrybizzle; 01-12-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:05 PM

Default Its official... Im Lean!!!

So, despite what Ive been told about the 07's and Cold air intakes... I finally threw lean codes for banks 1 and 2 (400 miles later)... and my check engine light came on. Granted, the CDC shaker isnt exactly a normal CAI. However, the Classic Design Concepts website said you dont need a custom tune after the Shaker hood install.

Well... I took it to a friends shop and he went through the norm..."do you have an after market oiled air filter crapping up the MAS?"... "Nope"... Did you have to relocate MAS to install the intake?"...Nope...and the throttle body and MAS are clean...hmmmmmm

So, what now??? His only suggestion was change the fuel filter and buy a programer. So, unless someone has another solution, I guess Im in the market for a programer.

Will an SCT programmer with canned tunes be able to fix my Lean problems or will I need a custom tune???

Im thinking of calling Troyer Performance cause Ive read a lot of good stuff about them on these forums. If I did need a custom tune, will they be able to do one for my Shaker hood even though its not your typical mod for a truck??? If I plan on adding an exhaust within the next couple months should I wait to buy the tuner or get custom tunes later??? Hmmmm... so many questions...

Last edited by J. Clementi; 01-21-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed the CDC Shaker and I think im runnin lean