Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Hitch Torque and trailer plug?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Hitch Torque and trailer plug?

So I install my hitch and tightened up the bolts, snug I thought until I started torquing them, did not pull anything. A week later I finally got the torque wrench that I ordered and proceeded to tighten the bolts to spec, 150 foot pounds. That is a lot of torque, I am 6' 1", 240# and it was a chore to get those bolts tightened to spec. True you are laying on your back and it is hard to get the right angle but I had no idea how much it took to get to 150, for a while I thought the wrench was no working, lol. Just wanted to share this experience with the forum.
Does anyone have a flat 4 wire (truck) to round (trailer) adapter? I have tried to google it but have not had any luck. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this what you are looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-Blade-to-6-Pin-w-4-and-5-Flat-Trailer-Plug-Adapter_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3c9e8bc315QQite mZ260357997333QQptZMotorsQ5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ 5fPartsQ5fAccessories

If not I found it here http://stores.ebay.com/R-and-P-Carriages-Trailer-Sales__adaptor_W0QQ_sidZ13922267QQ_trksidZp4634Q2e c0Q2em14?_pgn=2

I have bought from them and they are great to deal with.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:55 PM

That is some adapter for sure. It looks like it would work for just about any set up. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by stmar
That is some adapter for sure. It looks like it would work for just about any set up. Thanks.
wouldn't be bad to have one in my truck. not really that costly either.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:59 PM

Your truck has a flat 4 and the trailer has a round plug? (round 7?) If the trailer has brakes (which it may if the plug is a 6 or 7 round) then by law in every state (I know of) you are required to have a means of stopping the trailer using those brakes. If you adapt the plugs you will bypass the brakes. If it does have brakes then you will need to install a brake controller also. Not only legal issue but a saftey issue. Check to see if the trailer has brakes? what size plug is on the trailer (pin count) ?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:26 PM

Yes my trailer definitely has brakes, so with the factory 4 pin you don't have a brake? Guess I will have to rewire a new plug and eliminate the 4 wire. I have done this on a few vehicles but never on an F150. Does anybody have a good diagram or site to find one so that I don't have to hunt and peck to find the brake? I have a brake controller in my F250 but I am not going to be towing too much weight with the 150 so I don't know if I will put one in.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:01 PM

You cannot convert the 4 pin to control the brakes. Most newer trucks are prewired but if yours didnt have a receiver then I doubt it's prewired for towing. You will need to add a wire for 12v and a brake sense line. You will also need to add a couple fuses and a relay (spots are in fuse panel already you just need to put them into position). You will also need a brake controller. I do this often at my job. Better to be safe and legal so get it done right.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:40 PM

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Keep the four pin and wire an 7pin, or try to pull the dual setup off a wrecked newer truck. I'm not sure about your year but the 07-current have both, and the fuse box is set up for both, just have to add a relay in the open spot(under dash), comes with most trucks sealed in a plastic bag with a wireing harness(for brake controller), and diresctions. Check it out may be easier than you think.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by dallas150
Keep the four pin and wire an 7pin, or try to pull the dual setup off a wrecked newer truck. I'm not sure about your year but the 07-current have both, and the fuse box is set up for both, just have to add a relay in the open spot(under dash), comes with most trucks sealed in a plastic bag with a wireing harness(for brake controller), and diresctions. Check it out may be easier than you think.
Mine is an '05 STX 4.6L 4X4 Ext. Cab. Guess I will put in a controller. What type of relay are you talking about? It has been a while since I have had to install a controller and I may be a little rusty.
WOW, I am in Wyoming and there is a blizzard and a flock of seagulls just flew by????? This place never ceases to amaze me.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:10 PM

I put a brake controller in my 04. On my truck directly under the dash (under steering wheel) is a connector (I think 6 pin). That is the factory connection for a brake controller (yours may not have if not prewired). In the fuse panel on the passenger floor panel there is a fuse box. I believe there are 2 rows of 3 relays. Think the tow relay was middle first row??? Check your owners manual and look for tow relay in that panel. Its really an easy job. If you maintain your existing four wires and run the new wires then you can tie them all into a new 7 round plug. Really depends on how much of your truck is wired already. Check for the connection under the steering wheel. You may just need to run a 12v charge line and a brake control feed. Its handy to have the 7 round plug for other stuff also. I have a coiled extension I can plug into my 7 round that will supply a light, 12v feed, run power to my cooler, and more.

Quick Reply: Hitch Torque and trailer plug?