Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front Differential Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Front Differential Leak

Alright gents,

Front axle, passenger side (where the CV meets the axle) is leaking fluid...

What kind of seal do I need to replace, anyone know how much time it takes and is there a special tool I need to take it out and replace it? (ford is infamous for that sh*t)

I'm pretty sure its just the seal in there thats causing all this rawkus!

Hope to hear from yall soon!!! Thanks!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Regulator
Alright gents,

Front axle, passenger side (where the CV meets the axle) is leaking fluid...

What kind of seal do I need to replace, anyone know how much time it takes and is there a special tool I need to take it out and replace it? (ford is infamous for that sh*t)

I'm pretty sure its just the seal in there thats causing all this rawkus!

Hope to hear from yall soon!!! Thanks!
Yall need more info or am I not explaining it very well?
Old 06-16-2014, 11:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an 07supcrew with the same problem. I too am interested. I maybe changing the cv, hub assembly and actuator since I just did it on my driver side.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:16 AM

So here is what I think... the fluid is coming out of approx where 3219 located. There is a bearing (3A379) and then a seal 3C084 and then a bearing (4B413) and then a small ring (HR1). I'm hoping that 3C084 is the problem and that is why fluid is leakin where the front axle and the cv meet..... Thoughts? Anybody? Bueller...
Attached Thumbnails Front Differential Leak-untitled.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 09:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Regulator
So here is what I think... the fluid is coming out of approx where 3219 located. There is a bearing (3A379) and then a seal 3C084 and then a bearing (4B413) and then a small ring (HR1). I'm hoping that 3C084 is the problem and that is why fluid is leakin where the front axle and the cv meet..... Thoughts? Anybody? Bueller...
Ok, Regulator. I'm going to try and help you as best I can here, my friend. I once had to replace the entire front axle assembly in a '06 F150 4x4 because the owner managed to run over some ungodly terrain, and broke the passenger side output shaft tube.

The two axles (3219, 3220) are held into the differential assembly with an expanding snap ring (HR1). This is the same principle with any CV axle with a splined end that slides into an assembly (transaxle, transmission, etc...). The axles will come out with a strong shock from a mallet or dead-blow, basically hammering them out of the axle housing.

Part# 3A379 is not a bearing. It is a dust cover that protects the seal (3C084).

To remove the seal, your safest bet would be to procure a seal removal tool. It has a handle with two curved hooks at its head. It's the safest way to remove the seal without scarring the tube bore and possibly causing an irreparable leak. To install the seal, you can use a seal installer (again, your best bet) or use a large socket that is just about the same diameter of the seal to gently tap it back into place with a hammer. Make sure you check the depth of the seal, so as to seat it fully and not too far in.

That bad news here, is that you more than likely are going to have to drain and remove the entire assembly from your truck to do this procedure. I cannot remember fully, but I do not believe that you can remove the axles from the assembly whilst it is still in place. If you're uncomfortable with tackling this procedure, taking it to a reputable shop may be your best bet. I can speak from experience, that doing this job is so much easier with the truck on a lift. Having a nice work-bench with every tool you could ever need is a great plus as well. Doing this on the ground is gonna take you the better half of a weekend...all for a silly little seal.

I hope this helps, buddy.
The following users liked this post:
o6S1D9e (05-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ring

Is it a ring that requires snap ring pliers, or not?
I have found differing opinions.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The flat circlip snap ring definitely needs 90-degree sharp-point spread-apart snap-ring pliers for both front axles, accessible only from inside the differential. Not much different from the rear (open) differential, except the rear has a plain sliding clip. At least on my front axles it did. The service/shop manual gives very bad advice, using slide hammers and all. It you did that, you'd up with a bent or shattered ring jammed inside a spider gear and/or tube. Probably bugger up any shims too. You might need to slide the ring around in its slot with a dentist's pick so that the clip holes are accessible to your pliers. Then just open up the clip, slide it off the shaft, and the spline just slides out easily, no hammering or prying required. Reassembly is exactly the reverse.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this last weekend. look at my post I had some good pics. mine is a 2006 ext cab with 5.4L 4x4
and he's right on the snap ring that has to be put on and removed from the differential side. It's actually pretty damn easy. now that I've spent 3 weekends learning how.
Don't trust the manual it sucks on this. They describe push the axle in with the clip on the end it isn't made to do that and it will cause damage.

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/front-d...apring-449430/

Last edited by sharpshooter33; 07-05-2019 at 05:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
o6S1D9e (05-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Front Differential Leak